Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the clarification Harvey!

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Just thought I'd add this info in case it turns up in any future searches and might help someone (EDIT: help owners of petrol variants anyway. I think the thread makes it quite clear that the 019 is required for diesels).

On my V70 T5 you can actually fit 3 different sizes of battery (I believe only two were mentioned in previous replies), as denoted by the 3 different bolt holes when you remove the bottom clamp. The sizes are (from smallest to largest) 027, 096 and 019.

Mine had the smallest 027. I'm assuming it's the original as it's Volvo branded and no sign in any of the previous owner's invoices for a battery. So that makes it 16.5 years old, and the car has had many years where it's only been used for short occasional journeys, not to mention I've run it flat on at least 3 instances. I think that's pretty damn impressive! It's not totally dead yet, it'll charge OK but it slowly drops to around 11.5v with the ign off. And it's not failed to start, even over this winter, in spite of this, though you can hear that it's a little slower to turn over (I should also point out that this isn't a recent decline in performance either. I reckon it's been like this for over a year as I kept noticing when I left the ign on but engine off it would popup the Low Voltage warning on the dash after about 5 mins. So even more impressive that's lasted so long).

I've just popped a spare 096 in that I've had kicking about from a previous car, as it still holds charge so I can drop the new battery requirement down my list of priorities for now. There's not a huge difference in size between 027 and 096. Comparing like for like batteries on the Tayna website I think the 096 is probably a good compromise on a petrol as it's not a big step up in price and gives the extra CCA and Ah for a bit of peace of mind. An 019 is significantly more expensive with the extra oomph to go with it. Obviously if that's what the diesels came with then go with that, but on my T5 it's overkill since the smallest 027 has been fine all these years.
    Last edited by Gold 'N' Brown; Thursday 11th May 2017 at 14:23.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    Just thought I'd add this info in case it turns up in any future searches and might help someone (EDIT: help owners of petrol variants anyway. I think the thread makes it quite clear that the 019 is required for diesels).

On my V70 T5 you can actually fit 3 different sizes of battery (I believe only two were mentioned in previous replies), as denoted by the 3 different bolt holes when you remove the bottom clamp. The sizes are (from smallest to largest) 027, 096 and 019.

Mine had the smallest 027. I'm assuming it's the original as it's Volvo branded and no sign in any of the previous owner's invoices for a battery. So that makes it 16.5 years old, and the car has had many years where it's only been used for short occasional journeys, not to mention I've run it flat on at least 3 instances. I think that's pretty damn impressive! It's not totally dead yet, it'll charge OK but it slowly drops to around 11.5v with the ign off. And it's not failed to start, even over this winter, in spite of this, though you can hear that it's a little slower to turn over (I should also point out that this isn't a recent decline in performance either. I reckon it's been like this for over a year as I kept noticing when I left the ign on but engine off it would popup the Low Voltage warning on the dash after about 5 mins. So even more impressive that's lasted so long).

I've just popped a spare 096 in that I've had kicking about from a previous car, as it still holds charge so I can drop the new battery requirement down my list of priorities for now. There's not a huge difference in size between 027 and 096. Comparing like for like batteries on the Tayna website I think the 096 is probably a good compromise on a petrol as it's not a big step up in price and gives the extra CCA and Ah for a bit of peace of mind. An 019 is significantly more expensive with the extra oomph to go with it. Obviously if that's what the diesels came with then go with that, but on my T5 it's overkill since the smallest 027 has been fine all these years.
    It's a good point you make as my R originally had an 027 Volvo battery fitted, which from memory was around the 520CCA mark? Anyway, that came to the end of it's life 4 years ago so I've since fitted a Bosch Silver 096 (has a 5 year warranty) and I believe is about 680CCA. 4 years on and it's doing well, though the biggest difference I had recently was when I had a new starter motor fitted. My car had always cranked a little slower than most but always started and I new the starter would eventually fail. Once Volvo fitted the new one recently the difference in cranking speed was significant! Twice as fast and starts the car with ease.

I also think an 019 battery is overkill but on the R models and T5 SE models (which have many consumers) I believe, of the two batteries 096 and 019, the 019 is the better and will be my next choice of battery.

What I will be doing is fitting an 019 AGM (probably the most powerful you can fit in an R or diesel V70) as I can get these very cheaply. This is complete overkill on a grand scale but so is a Lamborghini Aventador or Porsche 911 GT3 when you only need it to drive to work and back.

http://www.yuasa.co.uk/ybx9019.html
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    As it would happen if fitted a 019 Varta silver into my 2003 R last week which was £107 Inc delivery from absolute battery online. I was having all sorts of engine and performance related issues with the old one.
    I also can be quite hard on a battery with using a laptop plugged into the car and the Varta didn't let me down in the last car so I went for the same again.
    Agreed there are cheaper options though.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Thread Information