Join Today

Thread: coolant

This user has no status

Thanks

coolant

Since installing CBV today, i lost quite abit of coolant.

Would it be ok to use below for the time being?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/eng...trate-2-litres

I'll order some correct volvo coolant.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    DO NOT MIX COOLANTS!!!

Just get genuine and add 50/50 mix to top up.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    DO NOT MIX COOLANTS!!!

Just get genuine and add 50/50 mix to top up.
    That is assuming it has genuine fluid in it in the first place. !!

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post

Good point

This user has no status

Thanks
    that's true, I'm not sure what was used previously. I'm going to flush coolant and get genuine volvo coolant.

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Tap water works for me
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Tap water works for me

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Tap water works for me
    You don't even use water...

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Doesn't matter whether it has genuine or not, you shouldn't mix anti freeze as they can react and either cause internal damage to vital metal components or even stop working as an anti 'freeze' all together.

Bottom line is, if you're unsure of what is currently in your car, then best practice is to drain, flush and refill with correct fluid.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    You don't even use water...
    T-10 gets waterless coolant, T-5R gets tap water.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    T-10 gets waterless coolant, T-5R gets tap water.
    What, you don't use antifreeze in the T5-R?, just water? Surely not!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Doesn't matter whether it has genuine or not,
    I think that was the point Lee. You suggested he should just get genuine and top up with a 50/50 mix, but if he doesn't know what's in there then he could be mixing different types.

If I were in the situation that I'd lost some coolant and couldn't get the same stuff for a few days, and providing what was in there was a good ratio of water to AF, the simplest option would quite simply be to top it up with water to get the level above min. Unless you are sticking litres of water in, you aren't going to dilute it significantly enough to affect cold weather protection unless you start diluting beyond a 25% mix, nor would it be significant enough to affect the corrosion inhibiting qualities. It would be fine for a few days IMO. Then once you've sourced the correct AF just add enough to up the ratio again (which shouldn't be too difficult to work out if you know how much water you added previously).
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    I think that was the point Lee. You suggested he should just get genuine and top up with a 50/50 mix, but if he doesn't know what's in there then he could be mixing different types.

If I were in the situation that I'd lost some coolant and couldn't get the same stuff for a few days, and providing what was in there was a good ratio of water to AF, the simplest option would quite simply be to top it up with water to get the level above min. Unless you are sticking litres of water in, you aren't going to dilute it significantly enough to affect cold weather protection unless you start diluting beyond a 25% mix, nor would it be significant enough to affect the corrosion inhibiting qualities. It would be fine for a few days IMO. Then once you've sourced the correct AF just add enough to up the ratio again (which shouldn't be too difficult to work out if you know how much water you added previously).
    I understand all of what you just said but the OP said, in his first post, that he lost quite a bit of coolant when he did the job. How much is quite a bit exactly?? None of us know, only the OP knows that.

The fact that he removed a coolant line from the engine to do the job would suggest that he possibly lost a considerable amount from the engine. Going by the fact a V70R holds approx 11 litres of coolant, he would be foolish to merely fill the system back up with just tap water!
    None of us know what strength his coolant was BEFORE he did the job, so to weaken it even more at this time of year, especially in the South East where the night time temperatures were -9*C night before last, would be a serious error of judgement and a foolish one to make.
    So, he might well have had to refill the system with litres of water, which is why the best thing to do would have been to drain and refill. If the car could be left, then just leave it until you could do the job.
    It it were summer time, then yes, it wouldn't matter.

Remember a few years ago when we had that harsh winter when the temps dropped to -15*C and didn't go above 0 during the day for about a week? Well during that week, I went out to and so did my colleagues, so many cars that wouldn't start because the engines were frozen solid. Most of them were written off as the heads had cracked.

If the expansion bottle still had coolant in it but very low, then it would be perfectly acceptable to just top up with water.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Tuesday 24th January 2017 at 08:25.

Whiny Old Git
    Thanks
    What, you don't use antifreeze in the T5-R?, just water? Surely not!
    Yep, just water.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]

15. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Tuesday 24th January 2017)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I cant believe I typed that last night! I just made the same mistake as Lee all in the same post. Actually laughing at myself now for being such a dumb ass! That's tiredness for you.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Lee, agree with what you said in principle. I tend to assume common sense in people, hence if you'd lost litres it would not be wise to top ip with litres of plain water. I also overlooked the statement "lost quite a bit of coolant" because if I was doing it I would have immediately blocked off the outlets to minimise loss. All the above was just me suggesting something based on a specific set of circumstances and not necessarily Kevin's circumstances (he's probably sorted it now). Or put another way, this is what I'd do as a temp workaround - because I know what type of coolant is in mine and the rough mix ratio.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold 'N' Brown For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Tuesday 24th January 2017)

Thread Information