Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Dash camera hardwiring options??

OK so Santa bought me a Nextbase 312GW which while I await my hardwire kit is connected to the rear passenger 12v socket in the centre console. This seems a good option. I can easily hide the wiring under the roof lining and tuck it behind the the rubber trim on the door pillars.

I originally took it to the power socket in the boot but thats permanent & I didn't want to have to keep turning the camera on and off or risk draining the battery.
    Can anyone suggest a fuse to piggyback off? I'll use the fuses under the glovebox. It seems box A fuse 22 which is the centre console 12v sockets.

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Cig lighter fuse will probably be the one. Not sure which one that is on the P3's but doesn't the fuse flap have a diagram on it?

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Santa For This Useful Post:

chadders (Friday 30th December 2016)

538 Nm on the old car. Now
    that was torquing!
    Thanks
    You can get a hardwire kit for the BlackVue cameras that works from a permanent live that monitors battery voltage and cuts off when the voltage reduces to a preset level. This allows you to take advantage of "parking mode" if your camera has one.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The only trouble with wiring your dashcam to a lighter socket is in the event of an accident the power will be cut of to the socket if the airbags deploy and switch off your camera, I have seen a few dashcams on youtube do this. What I was wanting was a power supply to sit between the lighter socket and the camera and not use the car battery. The cellphone battery packs that are available do not charge and supply at the same time for some reason which would be ideal if they did as they have a massive capacity. An alleged 50 amp battery pack I have uses 28% over 9 hours but it takes 4 hours to recharge which is shorter than my journey home and I would have to take it in the house to recharge every 3 days. I have had a dashcam for over a year now and had it connected to the front power socket. The only trouble with wiring your dashcam to a lighter socket is in the event of an accident the power will be cut of to the socket if the airbags deploy and switch off your camera as the ignition is cut. I have seen a few dashcams on youtube do this and you might miss some crucial incriminating eveidence that will clear you of any wrong doing. What I was wanting was a power supply to sit between the lighter socket and the camera and not use the car battery. The cellphone battery packs that are available do not charge and supply at the same time for some reason which would be ideal if they did as they have a massive capacity. An alleged 50 amp battery pack I have, uses 28% over 9 hours but it takes 4 hours to recharge which is shorter than my journey home and I would have to take it in the house to recharge every 3 days.

There are dedicated "dashcam" batteries that will charge and discharge at the same time, but they are VERY pricey for what they are. As a cheap alternative I use a USB UPS intended for household routers that will keep the router supplied with 12vdc or 5vdc via a USB socket. I have found the battery lasts 7.5 hours after parking which isn't quite enough for my working day using my DDPAI mini2 dashcam. The BIG advantage is I can also charge and discharge at the same time! If I want the maximum runnig time from the battery I still have to take it in to charge in the house btw, so not ideal yet. May be a solar charger attached to it? Available here:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uninterrupt...ywords=usb+ups
    Last edited by ShadeTek; Sunday 25th March 2018 at 13:53.
    Thx

Tek

Emo vilis emo bis

2003 V70 SE, 5244 S2, 2.4 24v, 101,000 miles
    Mods: Yatour MP3 CD Emulator

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chadders View Post
    OK so Santa bought me a Nextbase 312GW which while I await my hardwire kit is connected to the rear passenger 12v socket in the centre console. This seems a good option. I can easily hide the wiring under the roof lining and tuck it behind the the rubber trim on the door pillars.

I originally took it to the power socket in the boot but thats permanent & I didn't want to have to keep turning the camera on and off or risk draining the battery.
    Can anyone suggest a fuse to piggyback off? I'll use the fuses under the glovebox. It seems box A fuse 22 which is the centre console 12v sockets.
    trouble with piggy-backing off of a fuse is that they are all live and then switched later in the circuit....did this myself in the xc for the dashcam supply and guess what it stayed on perminately, it is now plugged into a usb supply that is piggy-back off of the lighter sockect wiring so comes on with the ignition.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status
    Thanks
    My dashcam is plugged into the rear seat cigar lighter which comes on and off with the ignition. If the power is cut due to an accident then the camera should continue on its own power surely. If not they have a design flaw.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well this answered my question, I've had the nextbase 512gw for over a year, I got around to buying a hard wire kit and installed it earlier, to my surprise it didn't turn off when the ignition was turned off like it did with the cigarette/accessories plug

Surely there must be a fuse in the V50 that shuts off with the ignition

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Thread Information