Join Today

Thread: HELP ! Please

C70 LPT auto
    Thanks

Unhappy HELP ! Please

Hi guys ,I'm looking for some suggestions as to my problem/s with my c70 im realy about ready to throw the towel in on it ,put a sheet over it and forget about it!! Ok here's the symptoms ,when pulling away for about a mile or so until car / G/box is warm I have a metallic clicking sound from as best as I can determine the front N/s,it done it once before and went away. However today it done it again , I know I prob should have checked it then and there but I had to get to work ,I have no access to another vehicle. After about 4 miles I joined m/way and while climbing to 70 I got a sound like a wheel bearing issue but louder.I stopped on hard shoulder ,then set of again no more probs ,rtn journey from work no probs ! I should say it has a pronounced engagement from R to N and D to N .it also has a pronounced engagement of direct drive @50 mph,there are no warnings on dash ,shift indicator is not flashing ,and g/box oil level is spot on ,fluid is darkish but not bad, checked for metal on dipstick and could find none ??,car is a 2000 c70 2.0 lpt auto ,with I believe the aw4 4spd all things I've read point to torque convertor issues any suggestions / experiences, would be great , sorry for long post/rant but Ive really about had enough ,it went from being a keeper to a pain !! Thanks

John

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    The metallic clicking when driving off/accelerating is usually a worn CV joint on the driveshafts.

But it sounds like you have bigger issues.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Driveshaft bolt?

Not sure if this effects C70s, but on later stuff they can work loose.

Try popping out the centre cap on the wheel and make sure the bolt behind is good and tight.

C70 LPT auto
    Thanks
    Thanks guys much appreciated, will check it out

C70 LPT auto
    Thanks
    Problems rectified

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    What was it then?

C70 LPT auto
    Thanks
    Hi Steve ,I had a sticking front caliper that was causing it to kinda thump into o/d ,I think because it was fighting against it ,the second problem was n/s/r handbrake shoes come loose ,so when driving causing it to make the metallic clicking noise and the wheel bearing like noise then after they settled the noise would go away ,these kinda happened in tandem making me think it may be g/box or torque convertor problems ,I got back in touch with a mechanic friend who put it right plus some other work for reasonable money ,so now its back to being fairly decent ,I do think either knowing a mechanic or being able to do work yourself is a must with these old volvos oh nearly forgot pins for o/s/r brake pads were working loose causing pads to rattle !on the plus side I got a good look underneath whilst on his ramps ,he recons its pretty good underneath, hopefully can get back to enjoying the car ,thanks for previous suggestions mate
    Last edited by Johnboy78; Wednesday 21st December 2016 at 12:09.

C70 LPT auto
    Thanks
    Was just looking at the seized shoes threrad and wonder if washing contributed to there demise ? When mechanic was looking around he did say there was previous jobs done cheapley and poorly so who knows ?
    Last edited by Johnboy78; Wednesday 21st December 2016 at 12:10.

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Glad you've got it sorted!

Now you can enjoy your motor
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

C70 LPT auto
    Thanks
    Yeah defo Dave thanks its back to being how it was when I bought it

Thread Information