Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pierburg TCV

This user has no status

Thanks

Pierburg TCV

So can anyone recommend where I can get a HD TCV for my P2 "R" please ?

Tried google but I'm not having much luck.

Thanks, Etienne.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/boos...8197.16.0.html

edit : oh sorry you said HD, don't think it's HD

2003 V70R Titanium/Atacama

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts

This user has no status

Thanks
    OEM are the best!

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks guys.

Sorry should of said its for a mapped car & I believe the O.E.M ones don't like the higher duty cycle from what I believe.

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    Standard are fine.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I got mine from mister-auto http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/boos...2908.03.0.html

it's gone up in price.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinking2020 View Post
    I got mine from mister-auto http://www.mister-auto.co.uk/en/boos...2908.03.0.html

it's gone up in price.
    It's only £25! Bargain.

I'd love to know the difference between this and a stock Pierburg unit for an R and is there really any performance gain to be had? Are they electronically different, if so, how?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    I got mine from the same place . Think it was £15 ish

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    The two types posted up are very slightly different, the cheaper grey one is correct for TD04s and the black one for K24s. The mounting clips are different and the TCV to actuator ports are a different size. Using the K24 TCV on a car with a TD04 and the correct size hose for the turbo can cause a boost spike due to a possible leak on the hose. When both sealed they seem to give the same boost pressure with the same TCV Duty Cycle.

This user has no status

Thanks
    So I am best just fitting one of the black ones then ? (if so, bugger I ordered a grey one)

The TCV is for a 2006 MY R. I thought all R's had the K24 turbo ? Do the later ones like this have a TD04 then ?

Many thanks, Etienne.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    I got mine from the same place . Think it was £15 ish

Just out of interest Harvey did you plumb this in the same way as the standard one ?

Also is your car mapped ? (I'm just been nosey really, as I've read that many threads on peoples cars I honestly can't remember who's done what)

Etienne.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    It's only £25! Bargain.

I'd love to know the difference between this and a stock Pierburg unit for an R and is there really any performance gain to be had? Are they electronically different, if so, how?

I was under the belief they withstand higher duty cycle better, I have no proof of this, only what I've read on various websites.
    Im sure one of the experts such as Tim could verify whether this is true or not ?

I suppose I could just change it every to be on the safe side as I do with my MAF sensor ?

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    No map on mine. Same plug direct replacement.

Have a read .

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...V-vs-Stock-TCV

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

st etienne (Saturday 26th November 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    OK then, I will get another one of these ordered then for the 2003 "R" as I fitted an IPD unit to that car (foolishly thinking it was a precautionary fix).

Thanks for that Harvey, very interesting reading, I could of swore that was where I'd read about the IPD unit been the better option.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I've not done extensive testing myself with the two different types only logging when fault finding. On the car I use on track we have changed between either type several times and noticed no difference in boost and that runs over 95%TCV Duty Cycle. The grey ones do give peaky boost after about 10k miles of use the same as the black ones.

All the P2Rs did have K24s, I was referring to the fitment of the grey TCV on more suitable applications for the port size. If the hose to the actuator is secure and the TCV secured then either will work fine, an IPD one will not work fine...

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    I've not done extensive testing myself with the two different types only logging when fault finding. On the car I use on track we have changed between either type several times and noticed no difference in boost and that runs over 95%TCV Duty Cycle. The grey ones do give peaky boost after about 10k miles of use the same as the black ones.

All the P2Rs did have K24s, I was referring to the fitment of the grey TCV on more suitable applications for the port size. If the hose to the actuator is secure and the TCV secured then either will work fine, an IPD one will not work fine...
    Do go on...
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    I'd be willing to try another HD IPD TCV again, as unfortunately, when I had one fitted a few years ago I had lots of underlying boost issues, leaks etc that were masking any performance gains. Fitting a new stock TCV was the only way forward in diagnosing and elimination of faults.

Now my car is running 100% perfect, I'd like to see if they really do make a difference.

It's fair to say that a lot of ppl have fitted HD TCV's from IPD in the past, some before doing a Stage 0, and others without even realizing that they have faults or boost issues, leaks, weak components etc, etc. So it's under these circumstances that the IPD TCV would have been given a bad reputation, IMHO.

Now I'm not saying they are better than a stock Pierburg TCV, but, being more mechanical, they're must be some gains to be had from using one??

Who really knows?

Maybe I'll fit one and then report back!............

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've been told by a tuner that the grey tcv delivers about 0.2-0.3bar less boost that oem at same duty cycle. Off course that this refers to my particular engine with the k24.

V70 2.4T5 M66 Summum

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    I've got 4 different "HD TCVs" they all give higher boost than a new standard TCV. Higher boost will usually give slightly more power in the mid range BUT if it's more boost than the maps is intended for them it's a bad thing. In most instances you have to drive in a prescribed manor to help the ECU to adapt to the incorrect operation. Some maps adapt better than others.

Thread Information