Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

2005 V70R auto box problems

Hi guys
    Not been here in ages because nowt has gone wrong until now. My car is 05 V70 R 6 speed auto. Love the auto gearbox, never feels like it is looking for another gear and always well fit until recently. Had a problem with the over the engine charge pipe ie: maff sensor fault and air leak.Problem was fracture around one of the mounting brackets ( mechanics probably thought the charge pipe was a good place to lean on when looking over the engine! wrong!.
    Leading up to this had a slight problem when accelerating from rest where the revs would rise to say 2000rpm with no increase in drive then thump the drive would come in and all is well. I suspected fluid degeneration so had the auto box fluid changed as a precaution. I have had the auto box fluid changed again, so twice in 20,000 miles. The car has 106,450 on the clock when this morning moving it off the drive to let a family member out when I selected reverse, 2000rpm on the rev counter, barely creeping and did manage to get it back onto the drive. Left it ticking over for five minutes or so and everything is fine.
    Any ideas anyone!!

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    They suffer with the early valve bodies on boxes lower than 6j, can just replace them it's a common well known fault, if you google plenty will come up on it.

However usual symptoms are harsh changes and banging into gear like you described, loss of drive could be something else, pump?

Can manual convert them.

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    I'm not sure if it would make any difference, but has the fluid change been updated in vida? I believe there's a counter which can be reset.

Other than that, has the car had software updates from volvo? Maybe there's a newer version of the gearbox software available.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yosser View Post
    I'm not sure if it would make any difference, but has the fluid change been updated in vida? I believe there's a counter which can be reset.

Other than that, has the car had software updates from volvo? Maybe there's a newer version of the gearbox software available.
    TBH I reset my oil counter and go through gearbox adaptation on the sonic, but never bother on the xc90 and it doesn't make any difference, it would gearbox adaptation would help if it had snatchy changes.

I think this has other issues, valve body and loss of drive could be something else.

The something else catogory could be time for a rebuild, valve body is pretty easy to change only about 4.5 hrs.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Resetting the gearbox oil change counter does make a difference after a flush. I always get the customer to drive after a flush and then again after the counter is reset. It makes a pronounced difference in the speed of selecting gears. The counter should be reset after the oil is changed.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    Resetting the gearbox oil change counter does make a difference after a flush. I always get the customer to drive after a flush and then again after the counter is reset. It makes a pronounced difference in the speed of selecting gears. The counter should be reset after the oil is changed.
    Shem didn't after mine was changed and recommended not doing so as it drove spot on, which it still does 14k later.

This was when he changed the engine the box had a flush.

Do you reckon it's worth doing? Obviously the oil in it isn't relatively old in comparison to the mileage.
    Last edited by Ettienne; Tuesday 22nd November 2016 at 07:46.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    Shem didn't after mine was changed and recommended not doing so as it drove spot on, which it still does 14k later.

This was when he changed the engine the box had a flush.

Do you reckon it's worth doing? Obviously the oil in it isn't relatively old in comparison to the mileage.

It is worth doing after a flush but I wouldn't do yours now as the reset is intended for fresh oil, Shem must of had a reason for not resetting it. As I said I do a flush, run the car and then reset so if there was an undesirable operating conditions I can diagnose the cause more easily.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

Ettienne (Tuesday 22nd November 2016)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    It is worth doing after a flush but I wouldn't do yours now as the reset is intended for fresh oil, Shem must of had a reason for not resetting it. As I said I do a flush, run the car and then reset so if there was an undesirable operating conditions I can diagnose the cause more easily.
    All the other cars I usually do myself with the reset and adaptation where necessary, I think he was concerned with issues that could follow as auto boxes can be temperamental.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    The flush and counter reset is easy ish to do, but the adaptation can take a while to do and you need a nice quiet level road to do it , I did my old S60R and it did make a big difference to the gear changes nice and smooth after it was done.

Thread Information