Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts

How strong is the 5spd auto?

As above really.

Just wandering how strong the 5 speeder is compared to the old 4spd.

The 4spd has proved pretty bulletproof in the S70, but the C70 has the newer 'box, so wandering if it's likely to shat itself immediately if I hit it with the tuning stick in future.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    They cope fine with increases in torque BUT not lack of oil changes. If it's slow and dim witted in gear changes it will improve with a flush and reset. If it seems to drop into neutral when slowing and it changes from 3rd to 2nd then it's knackered.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Sunday 16th October 2016)

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Cheers Tim

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    I've known plenty of 5sp's fail (serviced) and seen rebuilt ones fail also after a short time.

Servicing as Tim says help a lot, but I stick with the 6sp autos as they are more robust and used in the polestar and have the pretty much bullet proof angle gear and collar, my angle gear wasn't serviced until 142k and still on Original collar.

Volvo only used the 5sp awd auto for 2/3 years where as the 6sp was used for over 10years

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    If we're talking about the 2wd 5spd auto, i'l tell you what my garage told me.
    The early geartronics had a lot of issues but once past 2003 they got much more reliable, especially on the non T5 cars. In fact thay could only remember having issues with one, non t5, car and that was a d5 that had done huge miles.
    If looked after they should be ok for light tuning, but even good ones are (imo) dumb gearboxes. I think it is because it was volvos first attempt at an "adaptive" gearbox, it's just so slow at knowing which "mode" you want the car to be in.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    If we're talking about the 2wd 5spd auto, i'l tell you what my garage told me.
    The early geartronics had a lot of issues but once past 2003 they got much more reliable, especially on the non T5 cars. In fact thay could only remember having issues with one, non t5, car and that was a d5 that had done huge miles.
    If looked after they should be ok for light tuning, but even good ones are (imo) dumb gearboxes. I think it is because it was volvos first attempt at an "adaptive" gearbox, it's just so slow at knowing which "mode" you want the car to be in.
    2wd maybe be more long lived with less force going through them, but mine are all awd (well 3 of them) cars and I like an auto as a daily, so stuck with the hardy 6sp for above reasons.

I know a chap who went through 3 5sp auto in just over 10k (two were newly rebuilt updated boxes) again awd though.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    2wd maybe be more long lived with less force going through them, but mine are all awd (well 3 of them) cars and I like an auto as a daily, so stuck with the hardy 6sp for above reasons.

I know a chap who went through 3 5sp auto in just over 10k (two were newly rebuilt updated boxes) again awd though.
    It's the combination of power and traction. Because they have so much more grip at low speeds, it puts more strain on the drive/transmission. If it's a car with decent power and a weak gearbox, it will eventually cause issues.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Ironically when pushed hard the AWD Volvos have less traction than a FWD with an LSD, they don't spin the wheels easily due to applying the brakes��. This is easy to tell if you drive one with traction control off. An ATB diff in the front is a massive help as there is less need to apply the brakes when you want to accelerate. You can tell the brakes are being heavily applied to the front by how poor they are at getting off the line quickly.

Fitting an ATB in the front gives a bigger improvement in getting off the line than any other mod I've tried.

Slight off topic, Liam was about right.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    Ironically when pushed hard the AWD Volvos have less traction than a FWD with an LSD, they don't spin the wheels easily due to applying the brakes��. This is easy to tell if you drive one with traction control off. An ATB diff in the front is a massive help as there is less need to apply the brakes when you want to accelerate. You can tell the brakes are being heavily applied to the front by how poor they are at getting off the line quickly.

Fitting an ATB in the front gives a bigger improvement in getting off the line than any other mod I've tried.

Slight off topic, Liam was about right.
    As were slight off topic, not sure this holds firm for the polestars, they seem to scream off the line maybe the software is re-written to remove traction / brake intereferance? the t6 polestar mapped cars are pretty quick too, just without the launch control.

But reliability with autos and awds I'll stick with the 6sp auto, but only as daily drivers and occasional hoofing. I've got a manual for enthusiastic driving.

But diff is a good idea, is there any option for the rear diff?
    Last edited by Ettienne; Sunday 16th October 2016 at 22:01.

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Erm...
    Yeah.

Didn't know they did a 6spd AWD auto P80 C70.

Every day's a school day though, I guess.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

Ettienne (Sunday 16th October 2016)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    Erm...
    Yeah.

Didn't know they did a 6spd AWD auto P80 C70.

Every day's a school day though, I guess.
    Lol

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    ...a 6spd AWD auto P80 C70...
    there's the next project then. Just need a cheap 6spd R and a C70 in gay gold flavour

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Monday 17th October 2016)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    As were slight off topic, not sure this holds firm for the polestars, they seem to scream off the line maybe the software is re-written to remove traction / brake intereferance? the t6 polestar mapped cars are pretty quick too, just without the launch control.

But reliability with autos and awds I'll stick with the 6sp auto, but only as daily drivers and occasional hoofing. I've got a manual for enthusiastic driving.

But diff is a good idea, is there any option for the rear diff?
    I had a V60 Polestar for the day and never found it quick off the line, when rolling it was ok. I guess I'm used to something a bit quicker. Which one did you have if you found it was good off the line?

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    I had a V60 Polestar for the day and never found it quick off the line, when rolling it was ok. I guess I'm used to something a bit quicker. Which one did you have if you found it was good off the line?
    Been in a few (passenger and driving) as well as polestar'd t6's found pretty good, they felt more direct / urgent than my 6sp auto R, hard to explain like less intereference and more precise throttle, crisp, gearbox feels less held back as well.

Which I'd have put down to software and they felt very good for a traditional non twin clutch auto.

I've driven the 2.0 4 pot t6's as well and the d6's not driven the t8 yet though.

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

Ettienne (Monday 17th October 2016),Shinsplintz 101 (Monday 17th October 2016)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    That's good to know, well done. I guess I'm just used to more powerful and faster Volvos.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    That's good to know, well done. I guess I'm just used to more powerful and faster Volvos.
    One that weights approx 280 kgs less and is more powerful & sounds better.
    The V60 polestar 6 pot at Combe didn't sound nice ether, I want to hear the 4 pot on track might be a bit of a disappointment.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    One that weights approx 280 kgs less and is more powerful & sounds better.
    The V60 polestar 6 pot at Combe didn't sound nice ether, I want to hear the 4 pot on track might be a bit of a disappointment.
    Driven the t6 turbo and supercharged, screamer of an engine very quick to rev, doesn't sound like a 5 pot and is a bit mute in the t6 xc90 but maybe different in the polestar.

We should have all the new engines in Gothenburg test track this time "power pulse" and t8's looking forward to it.
    Last edited by Ettienne; Tuesday 18th October 2016 at 07:43.

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    I drove a tank once.

Great fun.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    I drove a tank once.
    its a Volvo forum, we all have

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to p fandango For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Tuesday 18th October 2016),Harvey (Tuesday 18th October 2016),MoleT-5R (Tuesday 15th November 2016),Tim Williams (Tuesday 18th October 2016)

Thread Information