Join Today

Thread: Annoying leaks

This user has no status
    Thanks

Annoying leaks

Evening chaps

As my stage zero continues on the V70R, I've had a bit of time looking it over whilst doing the coils and plugs. I got underneath and noticed a couple of leaks.

If anyone has an experience and could help to identify them that would be great.

1) The first leak could be the old angle gear going, the bottom of the angle gear is wet , but looks to me as if oil is coming from above on to the AG box and the worst mess seems to be around the passenger side edge of the AG. I've recently 'sucked' out the original oil and replaced it and seem too remember the amount I got out was close to the max fill amount, and certainly wasn't dry.

Name:  rsz_wp_20161011_18_41_12_pro.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  151.9 KB

As I look up I can see oil on the bottom of the turbo housing (?)

Name:  rsz_wp_20161011_18_42_03_pro.jpg
Size:  163.5 KB

2) Leak number two appears to be coming from the timing end of the engine , first pic is taken from drivers side wheel well.

Name:  rsz_wp_20161011_18_39_17_pro.jpg
Size:  148.5 KB

This appears to run toward the back of the car and ends up near the oil cooler

Name:  rsz_wp_20161011_18_40_39_pro.jpg
Size:  133.2 KB

The last pic is looking down the plastic cam cover , you can see a bit of black oil on the inside.

Name:  rsz_wp_20161011_18_38_24_pro.jpg
Size:  118.8 KB

Additional info - I've had the car since 2004 and believe the PCV was done around 5 years ago (I would have to re-check) the glove test is OK, no dipstick tube blowing out, no oil around coils, always fully synthetic, regular serviced at main dealer and as far as I can tell under the inlet manifold looks to be OK , next pic.

Name:  rsz_wp_20161012_11_57_51_pro.jpg
Size:  151.2 KB

Any insights gratefully received - Jon
    Last edited by stricky1967; Wednesday 12th October 2016 at 21:21.

2003 V70R Titanium/Atacama

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Number one could well be the AG, or as shown in your photo, the leak from the bottom of the turbo spreading down.

Number two looks like the cam seals have gone. Oil & timing belts dont play well together so you'll want to sort out that leak sooner rather than later or risk writing off the engine if the cam belt fails. Certainly worth replacing cam & auxiliary belts, tensioner & idle pully whilst your at it.

I'd be tempted to take it to someone like Tim Williams for a difinitive prognosis & remedial works unless your a very, very decent diy mechanic!

Cheers, Morgan

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

stricky1967 (Wednesday 12th October 2016)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    When you tested your PCV you had the engine nice and hot after a 15-20 min drive .
    It looks like the crank / oil pump seal might be leaking best get it looked at ASAP.
    My S60 I had the same, in the end it was a easy job just the oil pump seal didn't cost much to get it done ,but I did get a cam belt kit fitted at the same time as it was in bits, if the camshaft seals are leaking then that is a very different job as this does put off some workshops as the pulleys are not on a keyways so you need to know what you are doing when refitting them easy to get it wrong.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

stricky1967 (Wednesday 12th October 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    thanks guys, will re-do the PCV test Harvey

Jon

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    1; as your gearbox is dry I would say it's the large outer lip seal or O ring on the outer of the Angle gear. I cannot see enough of the surrounding area to be 100% sure.

2; compressor inlet hose, PCV in to the MAF to turbo pipe or rec valve.

3,4,5; could all be from the cam seals.

6; is very hard to get a perfect seal as it's a hard plastic pipe, cleaning it all inc the hose clip is important. Only use the correct hose clip with the Stainless Steel sleeve inside to give an even pressure.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

stricky1967 (Thursday 13th October 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    results of another glove test , first oil filler

Name:  rsz_wp_20161013_14_26_37_pro.jpg
Size:  138.4 KB

...and then dipstick tube

Name:  rsz_wp_20161013_14_36_24_pro.jpg
Size:  144.2 KB

Local volvo dealership ringing back with date of PCV service (if any, cant remember must be an age thing)
    Last edited by stricky1967; Thursday 13th October 2016 at 15:44.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    1; as your gearbox is dry I would say it's the large outer lip seal or O ring on the outer of the Angle gear. I cannot see enough of the surrounding area to be 100% sure.

2; compressor inlet hose, PCV in to the MAF to turbo pipe or rec valve.

3,4,5; could all be from the cam seals.

6; is very hard to get a perfect seal as it's a hard plastic pipe, cleaning it all inc the hose clip is important. Only use the correct hose clip with the Stainless Steel sleeve inside to give an even pressure.
    Do you have a work email Tim was going to contact you about block shimming anyway, many thanks - Jon

Thread Information