Join Today

Thread: M66 6 speed

This user has no status

Thanks

M66 6 speed

Ive got the chance at what I believe is an m66 out of an 07 ST, the part number on the box is 666r7002ae, can anyone confirm whether this is the box I need to do the conversion? Thanks luke

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Webber2629 View Post
    Ive got the chance at what I believe is an m66 out of an 07 ST, the part number on the box is 666r7002ae, can anyone confirm whether this is the box I need to do the conversion? Thanks luke
    It is indeed an ST gearbox, Google solved that one.

However, M66 (same as an V70R/S60R) ?????

What do you mean....do the conversion? From what, auto to manual??

I believe there's one man whom might be able to answer your Q though......he'll be along shortly, but you have to shout very loudly.....

"TIM!!!!!!!!"
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    It is indeed an ST gearbox, Google solved that one.

However, M66 (same as an V70R/S60R) ?????

What do you mean....do the conversion? From what, auto to manual??

I believe there's one man whom might be able to answer your Q though......he'll be along shortly, but you have to shout very loudly.....

"TIM!!!!!!!!"
    St ratio are shorter than the volvo box, also ford gear linkage works in reverse to volvo, there are some fixes for that, but fitment is as normal otherwise, it's the gearbox me and rob fitted to make 850s many times.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    The Ford platform cars have the selector cassette fore and aft arm mounted on the other side so it would be a pain. I always choose an M66 from an S60 T5 asw the ratios are ideal, they come with the rear anchor and the standard 850 cables can easily be fitted. It will need the casing cutting under the N/S inner CV. The CSC pipework for an internal slave box is easy to fit on the M66.

The first one I did was after guidance from Hussain Holland.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Monday 26th September 2016),MoleT-5R (Monday 26th September 2016)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    The Ford platform cars have the selector cassette fore and aft arm mounted on the other side so it would be a pain. I always choose an M66 from an S60 T5 asw the ratios are ideal, they come with the rear anchor and the standard 850 cables can easily be fitted. It will need the casing cutting under the N/S inner CV. The CSC pipework for an internal slave box is easy to fit on the M66.

The first one I did was after guidance from Hussain Holland.
    When you say pain how do you mean? I've only ever used ford boxes but altered the linkage and used original cables, made the rear box mount. I didn't have to alter the casing by driveshaft. I found the ford box is the same as the 5sp (slightly longer in 6th) but with an extra gear so very close ratio.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    The boxes from RNC engined cars have one of the cables working the other way around so unless a proper job was done of the linkage it would look a bodge. The ratios are a bit pointless as an upgrade as 6th is about the same as 5th on most M56s.

If the gearbox is mounted at the correct height the casing must be cut away to clear the subframe, if you didn't have to cut a box I think you made your rear anchor incorrectly?

By using the S60 gearboxes you can have a factory looking install that I like.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    The boxes from RNC engined cars have one of the cables working the other way around so unless a proper job was done of the linkage it would look a bodge. The ratios are a bit pointless as an upgrade as 6th is about the same as 5th on most M56s.

If the gearbox is mounted at the correct height the casing must be cut away to clear the subframe, if you didn't have to cut a box I think you made your rear anchor incorrectly?

By using the S60 gearboxes you can have a factory looking install that I like.
    Made bespoke rear mount from steel and never had that issue, made new linkage arms and cable holders all looked good and worked spot on, even had the added bonus of a short shift. The ratios worked well and made the car feel peppy accelerating, but it was more of a modernisation thing and used around town than motorway cruising.

Thinking on what to put a t6 in currently, maybe an 850 or something old and rwd.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    Made bespoke rear mount from steel and never had that issue, made new linkage arms and cable holders all looked good and worked spot on, even had the added bonus of a short shift. The ratios worked well and made the car feel peppy accelerating, but it was more of a modernisation thing and used around town than motorway cruising.

Thinking on what to put a t6 in currently, maybe an 850 or something old and rwd.
    Ok, I understand but the rear anchor is designed to fracture upon certain impacts so that when the engine and box are detached from the car the part remaining on the gearbox isn't as likely to cause as much injury's to the occupants. If you have a look at an M56 rear gearbox anchor you can see the large rounded steel crash cage around the anchor. To use an 850 rear engine mount it only requires one hole drilling in the anchor and 3 28mm sleeves.

Using the original S60 shifters the gear lever throw can be reduced to as short as you could ever want.

I still think you must of got your rear engine mount/ anchor slightly out as even with all new mounts the M66 gearbox fouls the subframe.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Ok, I understand but the rear anchor is designed to fracture upon certain impacts so that when the engine and box are detached from the car the part remaining on the gearbox isn't as likely to cause as much injury's to the occupants. If you have a look at an M56 rear gearbox anchor you can see the large rounded steel crash cage around the anchor. To use an 850 rear engine mount it only requires one hole drilling in the anchor and 3 28mm sleeves.

Using the original S60 shifters the gear lever throw can be reduced to as short as you could ever want.

I still think you must of got your rear engine mount/ anchor slightly out as even with all new mounts the M66 gearbox fouls the subframe.
    I see what your saying, I had to make up some small bushes to fit rear mount. All I can say is it worked great, shift was very quick. I think I'd use an m56lk if I was doing it again, but the short gears were a hoot but Def needed a lsd.

Thread Information