Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Mysterious running problem 850R 1996 Help advice please

Ok..so as I said car ran a treat for 1500 miles recently in 4 days or so..then pulled out to overtake and at around 3000rpm it was like I'd hit a rev Limiter.
    Got home fine but felt that the engine bay was a little too hot?
    Not used any water or any oil
    The car is an Automatic and If I put her in "N" it will rev off the clock no problem at all
    Put the car in "D" and it runs fine a little erratic at tickover when warm but always runs but always has the rev limiter moment at 3000 and above.
    I had a Bosche Lambda so I fitted that..no difference
    I have removed all the plugs and they are all the same colour..almost white actually...which again makes me think it might be running a little hot?
    I have cleaned the MAF etc
    I have a clean air filter
    Any advice much appreciated
    Bonnietiler

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Any error codes?

I'd try an ECU reset first...

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bonnietiler View Post
    Ok..so as I said car ran a treat for 1500 miles recently in 4 days or so..then pulled out to overtake and at around 3000rpm it was like I'd hit a rev Limiter.
    Got home fine but felt that the engine bay was a little too hot?
    Not used any water or any oil
    The car is an Automatic and If I put her in "N" it will rev off the clock no problem at all
    Put the car in "D" and it runs fine a little erratic at tickover when warm but always runs but always has the rev limiter moment at 3000 and above.
    I had a Bosche Lambda so I fitted that..no difference
    I have removed all the plugs and they are all the same colour..almost white actually...which again makes me think it might be running a little hot?
    I have cleaned the MAF etc
    I have a clean air filter
    Any advice much appreciated
    Bonnietiler
    Do you normally open the bonnet just after you've been on a run in the car? Doubt it.....so just because you've opened the bonnet on this occasion, why would you suddenly think it's running too hot?

Trust your gauges! If the engine was running too hot it would stink!!
    I bet your temp gauge was normal...bang in the middle? Cooling fans working ok, they may have even been running when you opened the bonnet??

You've really nothing to worry about. As KMB says, get your codes read and go from there. From your description of the symptoms, sounds to me like your car cut the fueling because of an overboost situation.
    Look for vac leaks and or hoses not fitted correctly. A vac leak doesn't always put the EML on but you should pull a MAF code or O2 sensor Bank 1 code if your running lean or air leak.

Idle should be stable, not erratic, even in 'D'. It should just lug down to about 750 rpm but still be stable.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    No error codes.. definite feeling of heat from under the car to be honest, I have had a Lambda light on but it disappeared after around 200 miles (Fort William to Lancaster)

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Is this the same issue as the suspect CAT? A collapsed car would cause hot exhaust gasses to build up - and the areas around the cat would get hotter as the heat will radiate from the hot spot.

This user has no status

Thanks
    To be honest that is my thought, but I would like to know how to check that my Cat has actually failed before buying a new one?
    Any Ideas?

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    EXHAUST BACKPRESSURE CHECKS

To diagnose a plugged catalytic converter, you can check intake vacuum or exhaust backpressure. To check intake vacuum, connect a vacuum gauge to a vacuum port on the intake manifold. Start the engine and note the vacuum reading at idle. Then increase engine speed to about 2,500 rpm and hold steady. Normal vacuum at idle for most engines should be 18 to 22 inches Hg. When the engine speed is increased there should be a momentary drop in vacuum before it returns to within a couple of inches of the idle reading. If the vacuum reading is 10 percent lower than normal and/or continues to drop as the engine runs, it probably indicates a buildup of backpressure in the exhaust. Remember, though, that intake vacuum can also be affected by retarded ignition timing and valve timing. What's more, some engines are much more sensitive to small changes in intake vacuum than others, so checking backpressure rather than intake vacuum may give you a better indication of what's going on.

Checking backpressure requires connecting a pressure gauge to the exhaust system. Use a gauge that reads up to 8 to 10 psi and is calibrated in 1/2 inch increments. Or, use a metric pressure gauge calibrated in kilo-Pascals (kPa). One psi equals 6.895 kPa.

Google is your friend.

Rest of the article can be found at:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/converter.htmp

Good luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Saturday 17th September 2016)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Easiest way to check is to use a thermometer:

http://isswww.co.uk/fluke-62-max-plu...Fcgp0wodNKsMVA

Post CAT temperature should be much higher, indicating the catalyst is working. Simple and effective and takes seconds and you don't even have to jack up the car...unless you can't get your arm underneath.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Saturday 17th September 2016 at 07:26.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Saturday 17th September 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for that info...very helpful I have ordered an infra red thermometer and will report back next week.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts

Those infra red thermometers go for buttons on eBay, although not sure if quality or upper temperature limit is up to the job
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Saturday 17th September 2016 at 20:48.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    You need one that can read up to 600*C.

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    T5's run bloody hot. Drove mine for the first time for weeks the other day, went up the road and back again just gently breaking in some brake discs. The engine bay was roasting when I got back.

Is this hotter than 'normal'?

The first thing I'd be looking for is a split boost hose, it will cost you nothing to have a good look. Blowing open at 3K revs would feel like hitting a wall. As the ECU tries to adapt to the huge air loss it will run like a bag of ££££. If you find a split, replace the pipe and pull the ECU to reset adaption.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Redbrick For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Sunday 18th September 2016)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post
    T5's run bloody hot. Drove mine for the first time for weeks the other day, went up the road and back again just gently breaking in some brake discs. The engine bay was roasting when I got back.

Is this hotter than 'normal'?

The first thing I'd be looking for is a split boost hose, it will cost you nothing to have a good look. Blowing open at 3K revs would feel like hitting a wall. As the ECU tries to adapt to the huge air loss it will run like a bag of ££££. If you find a split, replace the pipe and pull the ECU to reset adaption.
    He means pull the ECU fuse!

This user has no status

Thanks
    I had a similar problem a long time ago. Ended up being an over-boost that the ECU was fighting against.

There was no simple symptom. It would boost fine, and every once in a while, it'd just drop off and show about 60%/75% on the dash gauge.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    It could be an ignition misfire or "boost cut" due to an over boost. You should be able to feel the difference between the two and also see if it's over boosting by the boost gauge.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Replace the TCV.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Tuesday 20th September 2016 at 06:17.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Yep a new BCS solved my low boost issues... I'll see if I can find a link to that thread!

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Here you go, for the low price it would certainly be my advice if all vacuum pipes etc are replaced: http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...4730-Which-BCS

Thread Information