Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help

This user has no status
    Thanks

Help

Afternoon all,

after a break away from Volvo's I have returned to the fold and just this weekend bought a 2001 V70 T5 manual with a claimed 79k miles on the clock. I collected this from Birmingham from a questionable gent and contrary to the ad description there were many faults. As I had already paid for flight down and the prospect of paying for another returning straight away seemed expensive, I made a new deal and took a chance.
    So issues at the moment;

The dash has no life other than the engine management light - seller claimed a new dash had been sourced and tried however, had forgotten which was the original with the car. I tried changing the supplied dash and no difference. Worth noting one of the dashes has a "Volvo diagnostic" sticker suggesting it has been looked at previously.

The engine is clearly in limp mode with no signs of turbo and appears to be suffering from the ETM fault ie hunts at idle, falters when you apply the throttle before levelling out at higher revs. Disconnecting the MAF makes the idle far worse however makes the car run much better during accelerating however still no noticeable turbo kick.

Looked at the CEM last night which was hanging above pedals to discover it also has a Volvo diagnostic sticker so put it back in its hangar - no difference.

Not sure if you can add/replace components using VIDA on a computer or it has to go to main dealers!!!!!! Is there an independent Volvo guy locally?

Seller also supplied a spare accelerator pedal which I connected and still no change.

Connected the car to a friends VIDA diagnostics which gave some more information. The mileage shown on the information reads 168,000 however is this from the DIM or is this in fact from the car? (hope the former)

The DTC's suggest no communication with the DIM and I believe the ETM is also mentioned however as this is my first time using the VIDA diagnostic I am not clear on the information present and what needs to be done next. During the diagnostic session some of the dash info flashes up however disappears again.

Is there someone in the Aberdeen area willing to help me as I am looking to use this car for commuting in a month and money needs to be spent wisely whilst I move house. Really reaching out to the forum for help and yes would probably have been better paying for a return flight but the car has cleaned up well suggesting maybe you can polish a t*rd!

Thanks to anyone for advice/help

Rory

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    If there's a difference between the dim mileage and the cem mileage, the car will show the higher of the two.

Sounds like you should've got back on the plane mate, you bought a dog.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    If there's a difference between the dim mileage and the cem mileage, the car will show the higher of the two.

You are absolutely right, just spoke with the incredibly helpful fella from Volvo diagnostic and the plot thickens....

He knows the car, apparently it had been flooded and he had started fixing parts as the owner sent them however they were never the issue!!!!!!!!!! He recommended disconnecting each module to find out which one has a short so I'll start that tonight.
    At least it has a MOT (god knows how) so I can keep using it while it is complete.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    If you check the reg number HERE it might help with mileage history...

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    +1

If the car was flooded, there is good chance you going to face with an endless saga here.......

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yes the future looks bleak however until I need to spend money I'll try systematically removing parts until hopefully something shows up.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roryscott30 View Post
    Yes the future looks bleak however until I need to spend money I'll try systematically removing parts until hopefully something shows up.
    I hope you didn't pay top dollar for it. Fingers crossed you get it sorted mate. I have been in the same position and been burned and it isn't a nice feeling. Now that I'm older and wiser I have learned to walk away even if it means a lengthy journey home and extra cash. It may be worth the journey back to the sellers place just to £££££ in his letterbox though??
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mitchyboy01 For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Thursday 15th September 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Must have been a long ride home in Limp mode! Sorry bud, we have all had a dog in the past but this sounds like a howler.

V70r 6Speed Auto
    First car to put a smile back on my face for years!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I would say it was a slow journey up the road however I have no idea the Acyusl speed I was going however it used £40 from Birmingham to Glasgow which I thought was ok, probably no turbo made the difference ��

It's such a pain everything works electrically apart from the dash and the throttle (key items I appreciate). I took all the modules apart and no difference and connecting the car to vida and examining each item stimulates the dash so I will push my luck once more and phone Volvo diagnostic tomorrow for any other ideas

This user has no status

Thanks
    Lukasz (volvodiagnostic) is a very helpful fella. Best of luck with the car.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    Good luck in getting it sorted. Sounds like you've got a lot of work on your hands.
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    however it used £40 from Birmingham to Glasgow which I thought was ok, probably no turbo made the difference ��
    That IS good (every cloud and all that ). I just drove from Edinburgh to Sheffield and back over Mon/Tues and used slightly more petrol than that, and it's a slightly shorter journey. I worked out my actual (brim to brim method) MPG was 29 point something. I also don't have much boost at the moment as my intake temp sensor wiring has snapped at the plug so I believe the ECM limits boost and ignition advance in this state.

May I be the first vulture and say I might be interested in some bits if this ends up a breaker?
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Afternoon all,

after a break away from Volvo's I have returned to the fold and just this weekend bought a 2001 V70 T5 manual with a claimed 79k miles on the clock. I collected this from Birmingham from a questionable gent and contrary to the ad description there were many faults. As I had already paid for flight down and the prospect of paying for another returning straight away seemed expensive, I made a new deal and took a chance.
    So issues at the moment;

The dash has no life other than the engine management light - seller claimed a new dash had been sourced and tried however, had forgotten which was the original with the car. I tried changing the supplied dash and no difference. Worth noting one of the dashes has a "Volvo diagnostic" sticker suggesting it has been looked at previously.

The engine is clearly in limp mode with no signs of turbo and appears to be suffering from the ETM fault ie hunts at idle, falters when you apply the throttle before levelling out at higher revs. Disconnecting the MAF makes the idle far worse however makes the car run much better during accelerating however still no noticeable turbo kick.

Looked at the CEM last night which was hanging above pedals to discover it also has a Volvo diagnostic sticker so put it back in its hangar - no difference.

Not sure if you can add/replace components using VIDA on a computer or it has to go to main dealers!!!!!! Is there an independent Volvo guy locally?

Seller also supplied a spare accelerator pedal which I connected and still no change.

Connected the car to a friends VIDA diagnostics which gave some more information. The mileage shown on the information reads 168,000 however is this from the DIM or is this in fact from the car? (hope the former)

The DTC's suggest no communication with the DIM and I believe the ETM is also mentioned however as this is my first time using the VIDA diagnostic I am not clear on the information present and what needs to be done next. During the diagnostic session some of the dash info flashes up however disappears again.

Rory
    Oh dear indeed!

No comms between CEM and DIM = exactly that! NO COMMS. So you'll be looking at bad earths (cheapest fix), Relays and fuses (cheaper still as no labour).
    Then you're into serious money.

New DIM if yours is goosed is about £900 including software to make it talk to the car.

It is unlikely to be a faulty CEM as VIDA would not communicate with any part of the car at all as all modules link to the CEM at some point, even if via another module.
    However, it IS possible to get water ingress on the CEM and it corrodes the pins where the CEM is plugged into the car. On early cars 2000>2003, it was a known problem for water ingress into the CEM via the CEM trunking. It was modified by fitting a rubber boot somewhere on the cable and a kink placed into the harness to prevent water tracking to the CEM. If moving the CEM prompts lights and life in the DIM then you more likely have a bad/corred connection. If it's the pins on the CEM that are corroded (there are hundreds of pins) then your looking at over £1000 for a new CEM from Volvo and it will need a full CEM reload costing another £60-100 depending how much labour to load the software.

It sounds to me like someone has tried to remove the DIM and/or CEM to 'clock' the mileage. As Martin says, it's stored in both the DIM and CEM.

If you want a one stop shop and a relatively quick fix then your only option is the main dealer. However, I wouldn't expect any change out of £3000 if they have to replace them both

My advice is this:

1). Phone trading standards and enquire about the seller advising them as to what has happened and follow their advice.
    2). Limp car back to seller and request an full refund advising that you have contacted Trading standards and that they will/might be in contact, depending on the sellers next move!!
    3). Learn from this MASSIVE mistake and don't do it again.

4) If you don't do any of the above, then sell it for parts cos you're in for a world of pain and a very light wallet!

Best of luck!
    Last edited by LeeT5; Wednesday 14th September 2016 at 14:50.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    CEM modules can be fixed, either by volvodiagnostic or xemodex unless the CEM has the CEM-1D08 or CEM-E000 codes stored or if the CEM lost immobilizer codes then no other way, he need to purchase virgin CEM from Volvo.
    Price is steep over €8xx with the service together goes over 1000.

DIM is more less the same game.

Also as mentioned above, if the car was flooded, there is very-very good chance its a never ending story even if the owner willing throw additional money into this pit.

I'm no expert in the UK law, so please feel free to correct me, but here in Ireland, if the car was 'sold as seen', then only the sellers goodwill can save the situation. General forums are full with similar non-happy end tales.

Link to xemodex:
    http://xemodex.net/ww/products-for-volvo/

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well I took a chance and bought a new Bosch maf, car is transformed pulls really well so that's given some hope and renewed the fight to fix it. Everything else electrically works it's just the dash now so I'm going to look at possible bad connections next.
    The car is booked in to an auto electrician here next week if I can't progress before then.

I contacted the seller and he is sure the car has never been flooded so maybe that was a mistake, having taken the door cards off there is certainly no damage to them but I'll never really know.

Thanks for all messages, I'll keep you posted

This user has no status
    Thanks
    To check for flooding I'd try and pull the main carpet up somewhere and check the sound deadening underneath. I don't know what it''s like on these but I'd assume the proofing is the sort of material that would become water logged and remain wet due to the carpet on top trapping water.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks

I contacted the seller and he is sure the car has never been flooded so maybe that was a mistake,
    A slightly predictable response!

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Well I took a chance and bought a new Bosch maf, car is transformed pulls really well so that's given some hope and renewed the fight to fix it. Everything else electrically works it's just the dash now so I'm going to look at possible bad connections next.
    The car is booked in to an auto electrician here next week if I can't progress before then.

I contacted the seller and he is sure the car has never been flooded so maybe that was a mistake, having taken the door cards off there is certainly no damage to them but I'll never really know.

Thanks for all messages, I'll keep you posted
    Lucky punt and a good result. How much? £260?? or did you buy a cheaper, non Bosch unit?

Anyway, seeing as you clearly have access to VIDA, is there anyway you can get good, clear photos of VIDA when connected to the car and post up the shots here?
    Need to see all the fault codes and would be good to see which modules are affected.

Also, when you last plugged in VIDA, did your friend clear the fault codes to freshen the list? Now you've replaced the MAF, some of the MAF related faults should disappear. I have a feeling the list of codes was very long?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    To be sure, try to check under the carpet (multiple places) and look for signs of water.

So if it wasn't flooded, then it seems the CEM got water damaged due to the issue mentioned by Lee.
    Based on your initial post, the CEM has a volvodiag sticker. So this means the CEM either has been replaced or repaired by Lukasz.

As for the DIM:
    I would bring the car to volvodiagnostic and restore the communication between the CEM and DIM first and see the rest from there.
    As you guys have VIDA, perhaps it is possible to do via a remote session (TeamViewer) or at least identify where the problem lies without driving the car.

I would strongly recommend to do the diagnostic by a Volvo specialist.
    Last edited by htomi; Thursday 15th September 2016 at 11:45.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Maybe if I could upload the results of a scan someone might be able to spot where the problem lies, any help would be much appreciated.
    I think I will book some time with the Volvo dealer next week as suggested above

Thanks again

Thread Information