Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Anybody here use the TorquePro app?

Just curious as to how accurate the Torque app is. I've not got a boost gauge (yet) and although I don't expect Torque to be bob on, I'm curious what other Volvo owners have experienced with it.

Also, it doesn't show a single fault code on mine. Great if it's true, but again I'm slightly pessimistic. And lastly, a couple of things that strike me as odd are that it shows my inlet temp as a constant -40 degrees and doesn't get any input for coolant temp!
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    The biggest variable when using torque to measure is the age and condition of the bps. If that's no good, the boost readings can be allover the place.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    I use it on an Android (my 850 is on a mapped M4.4) was excellent in helping track down some fault codes to a vacuum pipe leak, then clearing the code when it was replaced.

Don't think I've ever managed to get it to read boost though...

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Initially very pleased but the boost readings then made me wonder if any of the output was accurate. I even invested in a more expensive interface to talk with the ODBII

However I have used it in the past for doing some track stuff to show speed (which is accurately measured via GPS).

The fault code reader is handy to have but doesn't cover everything.

This is me at Oulton Park a few years back, using the torque app (had to mount the phone securely on the dash as sucker mounts are a big no no) - track recording with the values is very useful.
    Though quite why I thought I needed timing advance is probably down to wobbliness.

Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Thursday 8th September 2016 at 09:31.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Interesting Dave - What's the highest you can reach on throttle position%? I have a recollection mine doesn't go much above 85-90%... no slack in the throttle cable either.

Haven't used the App for some time so would need to check when next back UK side, I do recall it plotting speed and acceleration over a GPS Google map which was smart, it was also very accurate, which I thought would make submissible evidence 'if' I went over the limit, turned it off
    Last edited by kmb; Thursday 8th September 2016 at 09:49.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    I think one of the pretty rpm gauges may have been better than timing advance

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    The biggest variable when using torque to measure is the age and condition of the bps. If that's no good, the boost readings can be allover the place.
    But then surely an old/dodgy BPS is going to affect the running of the car anyway, so if it's causing Torque to see incorrect boost readings then it's doing the same to the ECU. Are you then saying that if the BPS is healthy, that the boost measurement displayed in Torque is reasonably accurate?

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I'm really surprised that many of the "common or garden" type sensors aren't passing any input to Torque - such as coolant temp, engine oil temp, voltage, ambient temp. Not sure if this is just something wrong with mine, or if these are locked down on ME7 so Torque won't see it. Mine is a 2000 Ph2 V70 T5.

I'm also a bit concerned that the inlet temp shows a constant -40 degrees. If it was not passing on any reading it would show "no input". Wondering if this indicates that my PTC is gubbed

Note to self - I really really need to get my DICE working

This user has no status

Thanks
    Paying just a couple of quid for anything gives an idea if one trust`s it or not.

I use it only for error codes and GPS acceleration figures etc.

Once with my T4 it gave me 133 degrees for the temp. and i almost panicked until i looked at the car guage which was comfortably in the middel!

Even the error codes are only generic and do not necessarily apply to your motor so having read a code you have to then do homework to get the exact problem.

On the Merc i had a code for O2 sensor but it was a new one 2 months earlier but it does mean an error somewhere so had to sus the Merc. chart and also Google which gave me gearbox code......so there is how good the app maybe for me.....complete rubbish.

Setting up the Profile has to be really accurate as the variables read quite different.

That is all i can say about it except nice displays which can mean FA........don`t trust at all with something critical.

In my view simply designed for you to spend your money on parts you don`t need.
    Last edited by 960kg; Thursday 8th September 2016 at 14:43.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    Paying just a couple of quid for anything gives an idea if one trust`s it or not.
    Oh yes, in most cases I do subscribe to the "you get what you pay for" and "buy cheap buy twice" mentality.

I didn't buy Torque as a means to achieving anything definitive or accurate, more just a cheap gadget that might provide something useful in a very convenient package. I need to spend time (something I have very little of these days) trying to get VIDA working on my laptop so that I can use my DICE, in addition to some hands on mechanical fault finding. For the sake of the cost of 2 or 3 pints and minutes of my time, I figured it was worth giving a go just to see what information it would give me.

The point of the topic was merely to gauge from those who have used Torque, what sort of accuracy one could expect and what sort of functions should/shouldn't work. To reiterate, I by no means was hoping for a sophisticated fault code reader and ultra precise suite of gauges!

Thread Information