Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

This user has no status

Thanks

Gul Yellow T-5R M251 TFC

Hey everyone, just thought I'd say hello, having become a member and also having just purchased my first ever T-5R. Having purchased it on Sunday morning I just couldn't wait to pick the car up, so cleared my diary for the day and went down South to collect the car today. Thoroughly enjoyed the fun trip back up the M1 and the car performed faultlessly all the way, really is a credit to its previous owners the condition it has been kept in.

So here's M251 TFC at the petrol station having had a tank full of Shells finest and then also safely back at its new home...
    Attached Images Attached Images   

This user has no status

Thanks
    The previous owner did inform me when I purchased the car that it's first registered owner was Volvo Uk, after a little digging it turns out that M251 TFC was a press car and appeared in article for both 'Cars & Car Conversions' and 'MotorSport' magazine.

I'm still awaiting delivery of the 'Cars & Car Conversions' magazine but here is M251 in 'MotorSport' magazine from 1995....
    Last edited by AndybTFC; Tuesday 6th September 2016 at 21:28.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AndybTFC For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Wednesday 7th September 2016)

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Welcome

That's an awesome find and truly excellent bit of heritage there!

I WILL have a Gul 854 one day.
    It will be mine.
    Oh yes, it will be mine...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Wednesday 7th September 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    Welcome

That's an awesome find and truly excellent bit of heritage there!

I WILL have a Gul 854 one day.
    It will be mine.
    Oh yes, it will be mine...
    Thanks, this one will be staying with me for a long long time, few little bits I want to get sorted out here and there but it'll staying as it is spec wise.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    I think this used to be bone lorries old car, pics of it on voc, I have it back a few years ago before him.

From what I understand TFC reg denoted it was used by Volvo I.e press car etc

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    I think this used to be bone lorries old car, pics of it on voc, I have it back a few years ago before him.

From what I understand TFC reg denoted it was used by Volvo I.e press car etc
    Yes it did, There's many pics of it floating around on various forums. Think I'm the tenth or eleventh owner of it.

Think you are right about TFC reg denoting it as used by Volvo, a gul estate with the plate M153 TFC also appears in a few magazine articles from back in 1995

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Hmm... Interesting.

I have a TFC on the fleet - a 460 CD, properly specced up from new too. Maybe explains it.

Also have a PFC - on the S70, also specced up.

Maybe both used to be staff cars or something.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Welcome along and that is a very nice Gul you have there and as Steve mentioned it's Bonelorry's old car and there is a very nice thread on here by him of his ownership, the car seemed to have wanted for nothing in his ownership http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...Yellow-project

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    Welcome along and that is a very nice Gul you have there and as Steve mentioned it's Bonelorry's old car and there is a very nice thread on here by him of his ownership, the car seemed to have wanted for nothing in his ownership http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...Yellow-project
    Thanks for the link, that makes for very interesting reading. Shame the cars lost its original floor mats somewhere along the line since then. Guessing these are super rare to find?

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndybTFC View Post
    Thanks for the link, that makes for very interesting reading. Shame the cars lost its original floor mats somewhere along the line since then. Guessing these are super rare to find?
    Shame that the mats have gone as they are a nice touch, does yours have the rear blind .?

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    Shame that the mats have gone as they are a nice touch, does yours have the rear blind .?
    Yes it has the rear blind fitted.

I do seem to have a slight issue with the interior cover of the sunroof, it is a little reluctant to slide back and somewhat saggy. Not sure if this is just an age related 850 thing or if something is broken?

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Welcome to the club. That's a good find. Still have a soft spot for the Gul, as do most of us enthusiasts/old timers.

Enjoy the ride.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Great car that
    1995 854 t5r

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Lovely car, welcome to the forum

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    They do come up on eBay occasionally - there are also some auto trimmers about who will make you up a new set for reasonable (ish) money. But you'd need to ask about. At the end of the day it's a bit of embroidered carpet - your just paying for the originality.

Cheers, Morgan

Ps as above - good car, well found. Enjoy!!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
    They do come up on eBay occasionally - there are also some auto trimmers about who will make you up a new set for reasonable (ish) money. But you'd need to ask about. At the end of the day it's a bit of embroidered carpet - your just paying for the originality.

Cheers, Morgan

Ps as above - good car, well found. Enjoy!!
    I shall have to keep an eye out for some on eBay, also need to find a replacement under bonnet sound insulation pad.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well the second magazine from 1995 featuring M251 has turned up, it's a shockingly bad article and completely pointless but it's still good to see the pictures of the car from all those years ago.

Nearly a week of ownership with the car and the bug has bitten me badly with this one. As it's going to only be used In the summer months mainly the air con is going to have to be fixed, it just gets so warm inside. That's a job for over the winter and I can't say I'm overly impressed with its handling at present either. I know the front dampers were replaced a number of years ago but I'm unsure if the springs and rear dampers are still the 20+ year originals. So a change is on the cards there but that'll probably be next year now as the car will be put away over winter.

Hopefully going for a new cam belt kit this week too.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thought it was time this thread was given a long overdue update.

From where I left off two and a half years ago the first things I did with the car was to get a cam belt kit fitted for piece of mind. That was quickly followed by an alternator and pulleys when it failed.

New number plates were also sourced in the original style the car wore when it belonged to Volvo UK.

The car was then put away for the winter where it developed a further issue of not wanting to start after a few weeks of storage. After much head scratching this was traced as an electrical fault to the wiring loom to the main fuel injection relay.

I also took this opportunity to replace all engine sensors, coil, fuel pump and injection relay just to head off any future issues.

Next job was to source a spare set of titans, the car was wearing original spec Pirelli Asimmetrico tyres which I wanted to keep hold of but they were starting to get low on tread.

Although cosmetically they were rough they were in good shape so promptly sent off for a refurd and new rubber fitted along with new genuine Volvo centre caps. The originals were safely stored away and the new modern rubber made a massive difference to how the car felt on the road.

That took things up to summer 2017. The only other thing I did in relation to the car that year was to obtain copies of the original photos from when the car appeared in Motorsport magazine.

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    a Volvo v's A Cappuccino, i can see why they put them against each other lol

This user has no status

Thanks
    Nice........

What did you pay for it in 2016?
    62' V60 D3 R Design
    62' V60 T6 AWD R Design polestar'd

Thread Information