Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

NEW HT LEADS SEEM SHORT - Anyone else had the same issue?

Hay Everyone...

Just treated the 850 to some new HT leads, Dizzy, rotor, genuine plugs and new coil....

My question is this:

My new OE QUALITY leads seem very tight on cyl 1,2, and 3 (shortest 3) they do only just reach but I feel put a big unnecessary strain on the leads, they seem to measure up the same as the Volvo originals and the New dizzy is much the same as the original bosch one, I triple checked everything. I'm a little confused.

Anyone had same problem....

Thanks Phill

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Have you got the Dizzy cap in the same location (it may only fit in one orientation)? I recently replaced the same three things and mine fitted perfectly... using Bosch parts throughout.

Other option will be the HT lead routing through the cover gap on the right hand side, maybe it's not direct and they are twisted etc.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kmb View Post
    Have you got the Dizzy cap in the same location (it may only fit in one orientation)? I recently replaced the same three things and mine fitted perfectly... using Bosch parts throughout.

Other option will be the HT lead routing through the cover gap on the right hand side, maybe it's not direct and they are twisted etc.
    I will try rotating cap tomorrow morning thanks - will let you know!

This user has no status

Thanks
    It is how it was when I brought car but will adjust!

Appreciative
    Thanks
    I think it might only locate in one place, but I could be wrong... worth checking the lead routing first

Good luck!

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 870 Posts
    Unless distributor caps have changed significantly since I last had one , it will only fit one way , and you can't "adjust "it without altering the ignition timing . Or am I missing something?

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    The leads need to be orientated correctly for the standard Bougicord leads to fit. I have found time and time again that ALL other after market leads don't fit correctly, they may push on but arch causing the coils or caps to burn out after a while causing a misfire.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelspinwardrobe View Post
    Hay Everyone...

Just treated the 850 to some new HT leads, Dizzy, rotor, genuine plugs and new coil....

My question is this:

My new OE QUALITY leads seem very tight on cyl 1,2, and 3 (shortest 3) they do only just reach but I feel put a big unnecessary strain on the leads, they seem to measure up the same as the Volvo originals and the New dizzy is much the same as the original bosch one, I triple checked everything. I'm a little confused.

Anyone had same problem....

Thanks Phill
    Clearly they're not!

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    The leads need to be orientated correctly for the standard Bougicord leads to fit. I have found time and time again that ALL other after market leads don't fit correctly, they may push on but arch causing the coils or caps to burn out after a while causing a misfire.
    What Tim said is spot on.

You should take the HT leads back and buy a genuine set from Volvo. Aftermarket HT leads, as Tim says, are often shockingly bad and the fitment is never perfect. I've experienced this problem myself (during my 850 T5 ownership days) and I see it all too often at the roadside.

Genuine HT leads are good for 100k and fit perfectly whereas, pattern parts are not! They might well be triple the price but you'll only buy them once and they won't let you down or fall off or break down through cheap quality.

As the old saying goes....buy cheap, buy twice!
    Last edited by LeeT5; Tuesday 6th September 2016 at 10:11.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    You can buy the correct leads from PFV for about £50 delivered. Don't be tempted with the uprated ones.

The difference between the Bougicord lead set and the set from Volvo is a small bit of spiral wrap on the could lead and about £80. To see the difference you can look at Neil's 850 as that has the far more expensive coil lead lol.

Appreciative
    Thanks
    As an added note - I bought Bosch ones (rather than Bougicord), they were the correct length and fitment.

I bought all Bosch items i.e. rotor arm, dizzy cap and leads, seemed easier to get all at once and total delivered cost was below €100. did consider the Bougicord but it would have involved a second order, so stuck with one place.
    Last edited by kmb; Tuesday 6th September 2016 at 17:26.

Thread Information