Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brakes c70

C70 LPT auto
    Thanks

Brakes c70

Hi guys I've noticed on my c70 it feels like abs is on at all pedal travel ,no abs light on ,I've noticed brake dust build up on f/o/s is way higher than other side,also when sunroof down can hear metallic clinking sound when going over bumps ,any advice or suggestions greatly aprciated ,cheers john

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Probably a sticking caliper fella.
    Both mine suffered but a rebuild kit from partsforvolvo.com sorted them.
    Not an easy job so rather expensive for a mechanic.
    I'm pretty sure you can swap your calipers for rebuilt ones with a surcharge.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

C70 LPT auto
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff View Post
    Probably a sticking caliper fella.
    Both mine suffered but a rebuild kit from partsforvolvo.com sorted them.
    Not an easy job so rather expensive for a mechanic.
    I'm pretty sure you can swap your calipers for rebuilt ones with a surcharge.
    Thanks for reply mate,had a suspicion,increased brake dust etc front wheel warmer than other although this is now stopped,would parts for Volvo have a price for steering rack ? As I need one of those too,although its gony be quite expensive its a keeper mate cheers john

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnboy78 View Post
    Thanks for reply mate,had a suspicion,increased brake dust etc front wheel warmer than other although this is now stopped,would parts for Volvo have a price for steering rack ? As I need one of those too,although its gony be quite expensive its a keeper mate cheers john
    Jamie from parts for Volvo is very helpful, might be worth giving him a call.
    My rack was weeping on my first R (330,000+ miles) & I topped it up with this: Look at this on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262500267045

LUCAS POWER STEERING STOP LEAK 946ML STOPS RACK PINION PROBLEMS, SQUEALS,WHINES
    Obviously if it's too bad then you will need a rack but it's worth a try. Hell of a lot cheaper!
    The warm wheel is a giveaway.
    A great upgrade is 302mm discs off the R models. I & a good few others swear by them. You will need the caliper brackets or carriers as they are referred to. I used genuine discs & ferrodo ds2500 pads & I never needed anymore even with 270bhp.
    Hope this helps.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

C70 LPT auto
    Thanks
    Hi biff ,thanks for the information it is most welcome ,yeah the leak on the rack is fairly bad ,but,its worth a go and like you say a lot cheaper the prices for racks vary a lot ,I've not manage to figure out which rack it has ,I will certainly keep brake upgrade in mind mate I had a quick browse on parts for Volvo ,think caliper is 54 quid done a quick search for rack ,no joy , is the rack a known weak spot? ,I got extensive history with car and haven't went through it all but think a saw recipt for a caliper ,is this r weak spot? Is there anything else I should look for ? Thanks again for info biff very much appreciated

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Hi biff ,thanks for the information it is most welcome ,yeah the leak on the rack is fairly bad ,but,its worth a go and like you say a lot cheaper the prices for racks vary a lot ,I've not manage to figure out which rack it has ,I will certainly keep brake upgrade in mind mate I had a quick browse on parts for Volvo ,think caliper is 54 quid done a quick search for rack ,no joy , is the rack a known weak spot? ,I got extensive history with car and haven't went through it all but think a saw recipt for a caliper ,is this r weak spot? Is there anything else I should look for ? Thanks again for info biff very much appreciated
    Yes the racks are a weak spot over time, but not all go. Just both of mine! Lol
    That's a good price on the caliper, I thought they were about £80!
    I know a genuine Volvo rack is over £1000 but I sold a second hand leak free rack for£60, just a thought...
    No worries, I didn't have a clue about volvo's when I bought my first wreck of an R & it was these boys & a lot of research that sent me in the right direction. Until I turned up the boost & bent a rod.
    Lessons were learnt!!
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

C70 LPT auto
    Thanks
    Hi biff the forum is defiantly a great resource and try to expand my knowlage when time allows,I don't have in issue putting a good housed one in,just don't have the skils or space to do it myself ,and most garages want to see the car and order part before doing work I'm guessing due to there being two maskes of rack in these? If I could definitively I.d rack and find someone to do it with me supplying partit would lie you saybe a whole lot cheaper,thanks again john

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Hi biff the forum is defiantly a great resource and try to expand my knowlage when time allows,I don't have in issue putting a good housed one in,just don't have the skils or space to do it myself ,and most garages want to see the car and order part before doing work I'm guessing due to there being two maskes of rack in these? If I could definitively I.d rack and find someone to do it with me supplying partit would lie you saybe a whole lot cheaper,thanks again john
    Some garages may refuse to fit a second hand part.
    I'm unsure of the 2 types, I know the AWD rack is different Rack so maybe that's it.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    Hi, I have a steering rack off a p1 V70 R taking up space in my caravan and you're welcome to that if it's the right rack. Does your car pull to one side when braking joi?

C70 LPT auto
    Thanks
    What I managed to find out so far is one is zf the other TRW I think it is seemingly decodable from vin/chassis plate

Meh.....
    Thanks
    What I managed to find out so far is one is zf the other TRW I think it is seemingly decodable from vin/chassis plate
    Any decent parts supplier should be able to tell you which one is correct for your car.
    I think all fed v/s/c70 & 850's use the same rack.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts
    I'll try and look tomorrow as to what the rack is that I have.

C70 LPT auto
    Thanks
    Thanks for the feed back guys its much appreciated ,there is so much to learn about this car! And what you can do with them ,does anyone know how to decode vin to find out what ones in it ,it is actually ruining a good car so needs done asap ,not shure if posting in correct area guys as fairly to to car forums,I don't now if I should be starting threads or askin general question section , thanks again John

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Ideally you should post in the 70 section really but the mods will move it if needs be.
    With a few mods your car will be transformed & not for a lot of money if you wait for second hand items to come up.
    I want another. Lol
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

C70 LPT auto
    Thanks
    Ok mate thanks I shall start posting in there ,this is my first Volvo and absaloutley love it ,and got it for peanuts even allowing for rack and sticky caliper ,still feels like a lot of car for money once sorted

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnboy78 For This Useful Post:

Biff (Saturday 3rd September 2016)

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Ok mate thanks I shall start posting in there ,this is my first Volvo and absaloutley love it ,and got it for peanuts even allowing for rack and sticky caliper ,still feels like a lot of car for money once sorted
    It will be, they are cracking fun for the coin.
    They will give you a head ache from time to time but they are very worth it.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Eurocarparts sell recon calipers - they are not that hard to swap out, assuming you have the right tools.

Even I don't bother refurbing them.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

C70 with knackered roof

Thanks
    I was having similar issues with my C70 and ended up getting 2 new rear calipers from parts for Volvo at a great price of £48 each, so would deffo recommend them for the rears

C70 LPT auto
    Thanks
    Thanks again for feedback guys ,very helpful and informative, the car is needing as bit of work ,first on the list a power steering issue ,suspected sticking frtont o/s calliper and now is using brakefluid as well ,don't know if its related to caliper issue

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanks again for feedback guys ,very helpful and informative, the car is needing as bit of work ,first on the list a power steering issue ,suspected sticking frtont o/s calliper and now is using brakefluid as well ,don't know if its related to caliper issue
    Could be the seal has now perished & weaping.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:

Thread Information