Join Today
    No poke with out smoke
    Thanks

Have I got an ex plod car

I did my front brake job yesterday and I noticed it had the bigger calipers huge calipers in fact. Or did all later s60's have this brake system. When I got the car it didn't have a huge mileage 98k but it did have part leathers it also has a top of the range stereo system. All on a seemingly basic standard 60. I was told it was owned by a fire cheif originally up in lincs. I'm not bothered about its background mind because it's a good car and I'm happy with it. But it doesn't ring true in many respects. Any ex plod car owners on here
    Two volvo Kieran, volvo s40 1.9d and volvo s60 d5 remapped by polestar.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    I doubt it.

Ex plod cars generally have high miles. The police wouldn't have gone through the extra expense of changing calipers to suit, they also are not bothered about the stereo system.
    Generally, ex plod cars tend to be basic. ie, cloth interior, manual climate control as apposed to electronic climate control. The Police, like many large companies that run fleets, look at vehicle from a practical perspective and cost rather than ...does it have all the bells and whistles! Which is why it makes me laugh when on an almost daily basis, I get comments like...'Nice car mate'...'that's the one the 'ole bill use, innit'?

I can't be bothered trying to explain that the Police never used R models, so I just humor them.

I think you'll find your car is standard.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

S40kieran (Friday 2nd September 2016)

No poke with out smoke
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply lee I was just shocked at the huge calipers on it. There's no holes in the dash or on the roof or anything so I guess you are right. And youre right about youre r they are very different and special. Different to the modern volvo r designs
    Two volvo Kieran, volvo s40 1.9d and volvo s60 d5 remapped by polestar.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    It's not a plodder - all later face-lift cars had big calipers. Same as the v70 and xc cars.
    They first appeared on xc90s
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

S40kieran (Friday 2nd September 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Coincidentally I was reading up on brake sizes yesterday. From what I could work out the V70/S60 had 286mm on lower spec models with 16" wheels (up to 05/06?), or 305mm on some models (like my T5) with the 17" wheels. Same calipers on those 2 sizes. Then there was 316mm which I presume was Police spec (yay/nay?) - did these have bigger calipers? Then 320mm with bigger calipers on the later post 05/06 (?) models. In addition you've got the 330mm and bling calipers on the Rs and the fat-£££££££ 336mm discs and bigger calipers from the XC90 that Martin has (tart ).
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold 'N' Brown For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Friday 2nd September 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    Coincidentally I was reading up on brake sizes yesterday. From what I could work out the V70/S60 had 286mm on lower spec models with 16" wheels (up to 05/06?), or 305mm on some models (like my T5) with the 17" wheels. Same calipers on those 2 sizes. Then there was 316mm which I presume was Police spec (yay/nay?) - did these have bigger calipers? Then 320mm with bigger calipers on the later post 05/06 (?) models. In addition you've got the 330mm and bling calipers on the Rs and the fat-£££££££ 336mm discs and bigger calipers from the XC90 that Martin has (tart ).
    You're pretty much on the money there.
    The 316mm kit was an oddball size that appeared between the phases in late '04 iirc.

Can't recommend the 336 kit enough though, the difference over 305 is epic.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    You're pretty much on the money there.
    The 316mm kit was an oddball size that appeared between the phases in late '04 iirc.

Can't recommend the 336 kit enough though, the difference over 305 is epic.
    They have bigger Piston Calipers, the 316mm started on the xc90 in 2002

Thanks
    It's a completely different caliper altogether, hence the "oddball"

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information