Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Air filter

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have no direct experience of oiled filters, but have read about them fouling up MAFs on plenty of forums over recent years. I do wonder though how much of this is just internet hearsay where people have experienced problems after RE-OILING and putting too much on.

Given that pre-oiling their product increases the production cost, there must be a tangible good reason for companies like K&N to do so. From a common sense perspective I can also see why it is needed. Now I appreciate that sometimes companies get it wrong, but if MAF fouling is a proven risk, wouldn't a big company like K&N acknowledge and act on that? One would certainly hope so, but I know it's not always the case.

So trying to take a balanced view on it, I'd be weighing up the risk of increased internal wear due to lessened filtration (from removing the oil) Vs the risk of MAF damage and cost of more regularly having to swap the part. Given it may take 10s of thousands of miles for increased engine wear to take place (and how would one even determine that it was actually increased compared to if you'd had an oiled, or even OE filter over that mileage?) I would probably take the path of having the un-oiled filter.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by hillmangt View Post
    I have run my Merc C320 petrol with twin properly oiled K & N filters for over 60000 miles with no MAF problems whatsoever.
    Also my old Vectra and my E30 BMW and others in the past.
    How far is the MAF from the filter on those cars?
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

This user has no status
    Thanks
    The maf on the merc is straight after the airbox after a ninety degree turn, about 25 cms possibly.
    I have two filters in the standard airbox which sits above the engine with a box on each side. Its a V6.
    The E30 had a cone filter in a cool box and again about 20/25 cm distance.
    I clean them about every 20000mls as they are normally filthy by then.
    Last edited by hillmangt; Friday 9th September 2016 at 18:10.

S60=people's Quattroporte
    Thanks
    Jamesy, which one (3 ? 5 ?) of those girls you posted on the 'not safe for work' bit is it ? Any spare ?
    Last edited by MistralS60; Thursday 22nd September 2016 at 17:03.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MistralS60 View Post
    Jamesy, which one (3 ? 5 ?) of those girls you posted on the 'not safe for work' bit is it ? Any spare ?
    I'm not choosy mate, any of them will do the job

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hillmangt View Post
    I have run my Merc C320 petrol with twin properly oiled K & N filters for over 60000 miles with no MAF problems whatsoever.
    Also my old Vectra and my E30 BMW and others in the past.
    You can't compare a Merc to a Volvo. The MAFs are different as is the air flow to it from the filter. Some cars are prone to it, others clearly aren't. Also, the MAF tolerances will be different too - in the mapping.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information