Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air filter

No poke with out smoke
    Thanks

Air filter

When I required my s60 it had one of these green aftermarket k and n type air filters, I've been reading a few other forums and it seems remapped cars need these, I put a stock filter in which I prefer car is quieter with it that's for sure, what would the best course of action be stick with my stock or clean the other filter and shove it back in, I don't think it would make a huge difference tbh but some wiser heads on here that might tell me otherwise. I've also heard these performance filters also let more dirt in any truth in that
    Two volvo Kieran, volvo s40 1.9d and volvo s60 d5 remapped by polestar.

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    Keep with the standard air filter and change it more often. My ITG panel filter is sat cleaned on the shelf ready to go but I feel no increase in power using it. (MTE V70 D5)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Redbrick For This Useful Post:

S40kieran (Sunday 28th August 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Stock paper filters are fine, however, if you want a performance filter, then go for a dry filter, washable and re-usable. AEM, Jetex.
    K&N is an oiled filter. Oil can be easily overused and that can lead to MAF issues.
    Last edited by htomi; Sunday 28th August 2016 at 21:51.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

5. The Following User Says Thank You to htomi For This Useful Post:

S40kieran (Sunday 28th August 2016)

No poke with out smoke
    Thanks
    Thanks lads just as I thought
    Two volvo Kieran, volvo s40 1.9d and volvo s60 d5 remapped by polestar.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by htomi View Post
    Stock paper filters are fine, however, if you want a performance filter, then go for a dry filter, washable and re-usable. AEM, Jetex.
    K&N is an oiled filter. Oil can be easily overused and that can lead to MAF issues.
    Sorry bud, but I need to clarify a few things here.

Firstly, stock paper filters are good at doing what they do but they are incredibly restrictive, especially the non R models.
    K+N are probably the market leaders in Filter technology and claim an increase of 40% more airflow with their filters. Now there's no doubt that's true, but in the case of the R models, the stock OE paper filter is capable of 400g/m2 of air. This is why they are ok up to about 500bhp, so you probably won't notice any difference. Being a cylindrical filter it has a greater surface area and therefore an increased volume of air flow.

However, if you want induction noise then you need to ditch the OE filter and replace it with an after market type. You'll also need to remove your sound proofing from under the bonnet and remove the lid from the stock air box.
    However, this will let in warm air from the engine, especially at slow speeds, so your Air intake temps will rise and performance will suffer. It's a trade off! Do you want Noise....or performance? You can't have both!

Most of them that Htomi listed can be oiled, but it's not necessary to do so! K+N come pre oiled, but this can easily be washed off using a degreaser or mild soap detergent and warm water then air dried.

I have this one....

https://www.dcperformance.co.uk/chea...tx-t80298.html

I do not oil it. I just wash it every 10k when I service my car. After 3 years it will be binned and replaced because no matter how much you clean it, you won't get all the dirt out.

Me, I just went for the looks and did this...

Last edited by LeeT5; Monday 29th August 2016 at 10:33.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

MistralS60 (Thursday 8th September 2016),S40kieran (Monday 29th August 2016)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Standard all the way.
    Mine runs far better with the standard paper filter than anything else I've tried (and I've tried a lot).
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

960kg (Monday 29th August 2016),S40kieran (Monday 29th August 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the clarification Lee!

My point with the dry type filter was to highlight the benefit of the better airflow and less maintenance risk vs the the oiled filters.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

S60=people's Quattroporte
    Thanks
    I've just fitted an oiled Pipercross filter to my S60 2.0T in place of the standard paper one and the engine sounds "cleaner", less boomy on acceleration, no noisier.

So far I think it pulls better and is generally more responsive, but that could be down to the Petrol Magic injector cleaner I also fitted recently. At 107000 miles the car feels like (almost) new.

As to letting in more dirt, I guess I won't know for 100000 miles !

HTH, Keith

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MistralS60 View Post
    I've just fitted an oiled Pipercross filter to my S60 2.0T in place of the standard paper one and the engine sounds "cleaner", less boomy on acceleration, no noisier.

So far I think it pulls better and is generally more responsive, but that could be down to the Petrol Magic injector cleaner I also fitted recently. At 107000 miles the car feels like (almost) new.

As to letting in more dirt, I guess I won't know for 100000 miles !

HTH, Keith
    Was it pre oiled or did you oil it?

It is a common issue that oiled filters degrade the MAF and will damage it. If only just fitted, you may not notice any difference, but give it a few more thousand miles and you'll start to notice rough running, hesitation and poor idle issues.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thanks
    .... And then try umpteen more air filters, experiencing seemingly unrelated running problems until giving up and selling the car claiming "running issues".
    The next owner will then put the standard airbox back on and have a sweet-running car for very little money.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

15. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Wednesday 31st August 2016)

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    So you run an air filter that is supposed to be oiled without oil... what do you think the oil does?

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post
    So you run an air filter that is supposed to be oiled without oil... what do you think the oil does?
    Makes the air slippery.
    That's why they add so many horsepowers.

Surely everyone knows that?!

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    Makes the air slippery.
    That's why they add so many horsepowers.

Surely everyone knows that?!
    mmm...slippery

On another car i forgot all about this and bought an oiled K&N, then realised I didn't want to bugger the MAF and went for a dry type (Cosworth branded for a Scooby)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbrick View Post
    Absolutely!

I don't live in the Atacama desert you know! I ran a stainless steel Elevate Race filter for over a year with absolutely no problems.
    What you worrying about and who says they have to be oiled??

To clean my Jetex filter I first soak it in Fairy liquid and hot water bath for about 20 mins. Then I rinse off and spray Meguires degreaser all over it and let it dwell for 10 mins before a final rinse and then Air dry.
    The oil filter service kit is not necessary and, IMH, a waste of money, as I won't be re oiling it.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Thursday 1st September 2016 at 12:11.

S60=people's Quattroporte
    Thanks
    LeeT5, it was pre-oiled.

Should I follow your example and wash off the oil using a degreaser or mild soap detergent and warm water then air dry it ? Is washing-up liquid too strong ?

I live in the intemperate rain Forest of Dean (Glos, UK). I do appreciate this mine of help for old newbies .

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MistralS60 View Post
    LeeT5, it was pre-oiled.

Should I follow your example and wash off the oil using a degreaser or mild soap detergent and warm water then air dry it ? Is washing-up liquid too strong ?

I live in the intemperate rain Forest of Dean (Glos, UK). I do appreciate this mine of help for old newbies .
    I would spray copious amounts of degreaser over it and let it dwell for 10 minutes, agitating with a clean paint brush if need be to dislodge any dirt. Rinse off then fill a bucket with warm soapy water.....fairy liquid is fine.
    Let the filter soak in that for an hour, weight it down if it floats!

Then rinse thoroughly and air dry only.

Then refit.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

MistralS60 (Friday 9th September 2016)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    I would spray copious amounts of degreaser over it and let it dwell for 10 minutes, agitating with a clean paint brush if need be to dislodge any dirt. Rinse off then fill a bucket with warm soapy water.....fairy liquid is fine.
    Let the filter soak in that for an hour, weight it down if it floats!

Then rinse thoroughly and air dry only.

Then refit.
    That's what I did with mine and been perfect last 14k

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ettienne For This Useful Post:

MistralS60 (Thursday 22nd September 2016)

Thanks
    Dishwasher

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I have run my Merc C320 petrol with twin properly oiled K & N filters for over 60000 miles with no MAF problems whatsoever.
    Also my old Vectra and my E30 BMW and others in the past.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to hillmangt For This Useful Post:

MistralS60 (Thursday 22nd September 2016)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Dishwasher
    Posh ...although that said, my dish washer can make a cup of tea & cook food also

Thread Information