Join Today

Thread: Dead V70r

This user has no status
    Thanks

Dead V70r

It's a funny pulsing sensation you get in your arse when sat at 125mph and the engine drops to running on four cylinders.
    Not ideal when you have drove 250miles north for a golf holiday with the lads and you kind of need the car. Anyway, I was two miles from the B&B and just let her coast back, she was running rougher than a rough thing. Was sure I had cracked a liner or something mechanical, engine light flashed on then off again. So parks in front of B&B unloads, cracks open a bottle of Jack to drown sorrows and calls the AA. We don't have services that far north she says, so it will be one of our garage partners that will attend they will call you within an hour!!!! Four mins later ring ring.... Explains to the Brora chap what happened, will be there within an hour, 20mins later...... peep peep. He starts her up still running on four, plugs his code reader in. Relax he says, coil pack bank 4! Long story short, he took the car on Friday, says I will need to collect Monday once they had the part and fixed. Next day (Sat) he tracked me down to Golspie Golf club at 1pm when I finished first round, bar tender says, are you Big G? John from Brora has been on the phone, says your car is fixed. I calls him, part came in this morning so just fixed it he says. Do you want to collect? As I had a few drinks night before (two bottles JD), I thought prudent not to drive. Can you deliver the car to Dornoch I say, sorry sir your cover does not cover that he says. What if I give you £50 I say. See you in a hour sir! Best service ever. New Delphi coil pack only cost me £44 (Sorry not OEM part). Love the AA and now love John from Brora Garage Services.

V70r 6Speed Auto
    First car to put a smile back on my face for years!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigGreg For This Useful Post:

Biff (Thursday 18th August 2016),Jamest5r (Thursday 18th August 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Good to hear its sorted! Coils starts failing usually around 100-130k miles. Is there any disadvantage to use the Delphi coils over the OEM Bosch? Price is very tempting IMHO...

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

4. The Following User Says Thank You to htomi For This Useful Post:

BigGreg (Friday 19th August 2016)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by htomi View Post
    Good to hear its sorted! Coils starts failing usually around 100-130k miles. Is there any disadvantage to use the Delphi coils over the OEM Bosch? Price is very tempting IMHO...
    Delphi are a good make. You'll still get a years guarantee on it.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

BigGreg (Friday 19th August 2016),htomi (Thursday 18th August 2016)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Looks good even on a low loader glad it was a easy fix.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

BigGreg (Friday 19th August 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Greg,
    £44 per coil or 5 coils for £44?
    I'm asking as found the Delphi for 39EUR/coil vs Bosch 30713417 for 49EUR/coil.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Greg,

Each I would guess.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
    Looks good even on a low loader glad it was a easy fix.
    Why thank you master!
    G ;-)

V70r 6Speed Auto

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Greg,
    £44 for the single. He did offer to change the other four, which at the point I burst out laughing. But now I am thinking about it, sods law says they will all fail soon. Doh.!

V70r 6Speed Auto

13. The Following User Says Thank You to BigGreg For This Useful Post:

htomi (Saturday 20th August 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    On a side note, was at Flamingo land earlier this week and seen this brand new Mazda with these rims. Guess they are a kind of smoked chrome. Do you think this finish would work on my rotors?

V70r 6Speed Auto

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yeah, replace the other 4 too. Skandix sells the Bosch for €49 ∼ £42. Autoersatzteile.de €39 for the Delphi, but its on back order.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Greg, I replaced all 5 of my coils last year as you know from my project thread. Being a creature of habit, I also replaced all 5 sparks plugs at the same time. Now some might says..'jesus, what a waste of money', however, fact is, the OE coils had done 140k by this stage and I was not convinced that they were performing 100% especially under load.
    This is when the Ignition coil is pushed hardest as it must be consistent and provide a spark at the right time and at the right amperage.
    If it is starting to degrade internally or coming close to developing a short circuit or even, in your case Greg going open circuit, then your car will not perform 100% and will start to idle incorrectly, hesitate under load, develop a weak spark that only shows when pushing the car under boost or as in your case, a misfire and no spark at all.

Old spark plugs or ones that have too big a gap through wear, can cause premature failure of the ignition coils because the spark having to jump a bigger gap makes the coil work harder than it otherwise would. So it is always good practice to replace your spark plugs at the same time as the coils, unless the plugs have only recently been changed.

I bought OE coils and plugs from my local dealer because they give me a good discount. OE coil are Bosch.

Did I notice a difference? I think a subtle one, yes! Maybe it was a placebo effect, who knows? What I do know is...I can be rest assured that my ignition will behave 100% all the time and hopefully give me another 100k of trouble free motoring.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

BigGreg (Monday 22nd August 2016),htomi (Saturday 20th August 2016)

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Generally replacing the old coil packs will make a car more responsive on part throttle and slightly better on fuel. The improvement on WOT is a lot harder to notice unless coils were very bad.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

BigGreg (Monday 22nd August 2016)

Thread Information