Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Hazard lights oddity

Just had a weird one with my hazard lights. Car is a MY2001 V70 T5.....

Parked up at Tesco on a very slight upwards incline. Put handbrake on and left it in gear. Switched the ignition off with the wipers half way up the screen (wipers were set to the slow constant speed as I parked). Left the keys in the ignition but ignition off, and wife and kids in the car. When I came back out 5 mins later the hazard lights at the back were flashing (didn't notice if the fronts/sides were flashing but one would assume they all were). So when I got in I turned on the ignition and there was no indication of the hazards being on either prior to or after I turned on the ignition. I then pressed the hazard lights button to check and it activated as normal, so it wasn;t a case of having accidently knocked it on the way out of the car.

Does anyone know if there's a particular set of circumstances that would cause this? I was wondering if - being the way Volvo's are - it's possible they've programmed the ECU to see a situation where the ignition has been turned off for more than a few mins with the wipers left half way up the screen and the car in gear as a possible emergency situation and so it puts the hazards on. Might be a long shot!
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Is it possible the alarm was activated, but the alarm horn's given up, so it just flashes the indicators, had this on our old S70. Try locking the car with the windows open, and see if the alarm goes off.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Believe it or not, if it's a pre-2004 model, it could be a sign of early dim failure. They do weird 5h!t when the dim goes.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Before painting the DIM devil onto the wall, I would test the alarm. Roll down the driver side window, close the car, wait few mins then try to open the car with the inner door latch. The alarm siren + the indicators should be activated. In case if the siren is dead, then only the indicators will be activated.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

Thanks
    I've never known an alarm play silly buggers with the key in the ignition mate.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    + for the DIM, but worthwhile checking the alarm as its an easy test.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanks for the replies. I dont think it was alarm related. DIM is a worry.

Thanks
    It could be some unknown volvo thing where it flashes the hazards to tell you that you've left the keys in it.
    Maybe...
    I wouldn't put it past volvo to do something odd like that.

I might try it later, did you leave the ignition on or off when you left the car?

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Pretty sure it was off.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Sounds to me like one of your kids pressed the hazard button without your wife noticing?

On a side note.....Alarm takes only 30s to arm, not minutes! Also, you'll have DTC... UEM 0004 stored for a faulty alarm module.

The alarm would not self arm with the car not locked and keys still in the ignition and not released from the lock.

I wouldn't worry about it, unless it starts to get more frequent. Worth checking codes though!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Wasn't the kids Lee, both were strapped in (one sleeping) and in the back with the wife. My dad had been in the front with me, but came in the shop with me. As I thought the switch had been pressed by mistake it was the first thing I checked but it wasn't that.

I'm going to replicate the conditions and see if it does it again. But as you said, not something I shall worry about for now. It's like when I got that error related to the immobiliser ignition ring thing ages ago (prob a year ago actually), that has so far been a one off. No point losing sleep until it become more regular.

Thread Information