Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terraclean

This user has no status

Thanks

Terraclean

Has anyone had Terraclean done to there car?

I got the R Terracleaned today and I can't really tell if there's any improvement. There seems a little better throttle response and smoother... Hard to tell if it's improved mpg yet.

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    I did and it made no difference, wasted £100+

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Nealevo For This Useful Post:

LiamT4 (Saturday 23rd July 2016)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nealevo View Post
    I did and it made no difference, wasted £100+
    But you never know until you tried it,

This user has no status

Thanks
    ive got a voucher for a terraclean that i won, will give it a go and let you know how it goes

cheers

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    I guess it depends on the condition of the engine to start with. I've read varying reports from "sod all" to "works a treat".
    Personally, I'd say having your injectors cleaned is a reliably better/ cheaper option.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Like you said maybe the engine is already in good condition and it's made no difference. The car has been well maintained with correct fuel. There probably wasn't much carbon build up. But she has done over 104,000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    The times when i have read that it makes a difference, seems to have been from owners that do short journeys/low miles.

It's short journeys were the carbon mostly builds up.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    In most instances new injectors would be far wiser.
    If you have a snake that needs lubricating then it would be ideal.

For upper cylinder cleaning a bottle of water with a hose to the vac tree will easily outperform any of the snake oils. Every engine I remove the head on that has a split liner has a spotless piston crown and head on the affected cylinder. The ones that have had snake oil always have very wet carbon on the piston crowns.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Williams For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Friday 29th July 2016)

S60=people's Quattroporte
    Thanks
    Tim, how about Shell V-Power, Petrol Magic, or Diesel Magic (R) ?

I've found all three effective, but have you seen the internals of any engines in which they've been used ?

My 2.0T is going better and better on V-P.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinking2020 View Post
    Has anyone had Terraclean done to there car?

I got the R Terracleaned today and I can't really tell if there's any improvement. There seems a little better throttle response and smoother... Hard to tell if it's improved mpg yet.
    Yes, twice! Each time the difference is night and day. Would do again but gonna wait until next year.

Quote Originally Posted by MistralS60 View Post

I've found all three effective, but have you seen the internals of any engines in which they've been used ?

The cleaning properties of fuel is minute, (that's M'Y'NEWT) and is mean't to help prevent the build up of carbon not clean the carbon that's already built up. So, I doubt Tim will be able to answer that question.

When most of our cars were just coming onto the roads, high octane fuel was a rarity across the country and very expensive. Most would have just used unleaded and I doubt anyone has actually used 99RON fuel from Shell and Momentum fuel from tesco, also 99RON for their car's entire life!
    Since my first R 10 years ago, I've always used 99RON and never 95RON. However, both R's had already done 90k by then. I doubt previous owners gave a toss what fuel they used, as long as it was the cheapest.

If you've owned your car from mile 1, then your engine would need close inspection and comparison.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thanks
    Noted as to fuel, but I maintain that the Magic additives work .

Beer Baron
    Thanks

That's interesting because my 2.0t feels no different on super unleaded compared to standard.

I still use it though and it does appear to benefit the car as the emissions are lower, as proved when i had my garage test it twice in a month. I used to use standard so i asked them to emissions test it, then i did 4 weeks on super and had them test it again. The emissions were lower on super unleaded.

The biggest difference though, came when i moved house and my journey to work became twice as long with half of it on a dual carriage way. The longer journeys at higher speeds, brought my emissions down quite a bit, relatively speaking.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

MistralS60 (Sunday 31st July 2016)

Thanks
    "180bhp is soooooo slow." But it's more power than I've had before. I'd've bought a D5 if the stupid politicos hadn't proposed raising the tax on diesel.

Liam - please explain the link between lower emissions and benefitting the car ? New territory for me.

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    "180bhp is soooooo slow." But it's more power than I've had before. I'd've bought a D5 if the stupid politicos hadn't proposed raising the tax on diesel.

Liam - please explain the link between lower emissions and benefitting the car ? New territory for me.
    Don't worry about "180bhp" joke, thats just because my previous cars were a lightly modded S40 T4, then an S70R, then an E39 Bmw 540. So, comparatively speaking, my 2.0t feels much, much slower.

If the car is emitting less Co2, HC's etc, then it would mean that the engine is being more efficient. It seems that one of the reasons for that, is the super unleaded i now run it on. If the fuel is of better quality which helps the engine run cleaner, then it shouldn't be getting as much carbon build up etc.

Obviously, regular servicing and oil changes help (oil every 6 months).

Super unleaded is supposed to have extra additives that help clean the engine as well, but how true that is, i can't say.

Also, performance wise, the 2.0t is faster than the 163bhp d5. They may have more torque, but they run out revs too quick.
    A friend had one and we compared them
    Last edited by LiamT4; Monday 1st August 2016 at 21:30.

Thanks

Cool

Thanks, Liam, that makes sense to me. Impressive car history.

Funny you should mention the D5. I was wondering if it's nearly as quick as the T5, as I read somewhere. Now I'm glad I bought a 2.0T, 24 MPG on local runs notwithstanding !
    Last edited by MistralS60; Friday 5th August 2016 at 17:52.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Biggest legal motoring con this side of insurance, I don't ever recall a manufacturer stating their engines need cleaning out every so often.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    Biggest legal motoring con this side of insurance, I don't ever recall a manufacturer stating their engines need cleaning out every so often.
    Well they probably shouldn't need cleaning if owners looked after them properly! Suggesting engines don't need cleaning contradicts the very fact that plenty of people have found gummed up engines coated in carbon and varnish upon stripping them down.

I can;t say how effective Terraclean would be on engines like those, but again, I would say that if people who have had this done are observing obvious improvements in economy amongst other things then it's not a con. It would only be a con to someone who sees no improvement, in which case their engine probably was plenty clean internally in the first place!
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Gold 'N' Brown For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Saturday 6th August 2016)

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Thanks, Liam, that makes sense to me. Impressive car history.

Funny you should mention the D5. I was wondering if it's nearly as quick as the T5, as I read somewhere. Now I'm glad I bought a 2.0T, 24 MPG on local runs notwithstanding !
    They were all nice cars but none of them cost much at all to buy, the bmw was less than 2k. Prices have gone up recently though as good ones are getting rare and i wish i'd never sold my S70R.

If you're comparing a standard s60 d5 against the t5 then the t5 is quicker. There may be a moment, if you were comparing in gear performance, where the d5 may initially keep up, but soon as the revs build the t5 would pull away.
    As i said, the 2.0t is quicker than the 163bhp d5. I can't say about the 185bhp d5, as i've read contradictory things. Some owners love them, while other owners say they were hardly any quicker than the 163 version and are worse on fuel.

I'm currently getting around 31mpg on my daily commute (40 mile round trip), but i get high 30s on a long run. I did leicester to north devon on 1/3 of a tank last year, although was cruising at 65mph.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    That's a bold claim considering I myself have noticed a night and day difference on both occasions that I had my car Terracleaned. Most probably because nearly all cars are out of warranty by the time their engines get to the sort of mileage where an internal clean is necessary and therefore the Manufacturers don't give a toss! Also, the post Terraclean exhaust test (MOT standard) results speak for themselves...

Volvo V70R / 130,233miles / 2013

CO - 0.00%Vol
    CO2 - 15.6%Vol
    O2 - 0.04%Vol
    HC - 3ppm <<<<
    Lambda - 1.003

Note: The above results were from 2013 (the last time it was done) and pre Terraclean HC was 38ppm, which is still very good (200ppm is the MAX permitted level) but to get 3ppm is pretty dam good!
    The above results were also attained before I replaced my pre CAT O2 sensor, Intercooler, MAF, fixed all boost leaks etc, etc. (At the time I did not know I had a cracked IC or any boost leaks)

When Tim removes my Head later on in the year, we'll see just how clean the cylinder bores and valves are then.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Wednesday 10th August 2016 at 09:38.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Beer Baron
    Thanks
    Some people say it's a con, because there's basically no difference between how terraclean works and filling up with a good 99 and going for an hours drive to get the engine and exhaust nice and hot.

When i first got my car, the first mot showed the the HC level was 143ppm, and no, i haven't typed that wrong - 143ppm.
    After what basically amounted to giving the car a proper service, it then dropped to around 40ppm.
    This year it was showing as 5ppm. The only difference now, is that i use super unleaded and my commute has doubled with large part of it on a dual carriage way.

I have basically got the same results as a terraclean, simply by good servicing, using 99 fuel and having a commute which gives the engine a proper workout.

Does it work, in many cases yes. Is it some magic procedure and will it help every car, no.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

Biff (Friday 12th August 2016),jamesy12345 (Wednesday 10th August 2016)

Thread Information