Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Kumho Tyres 850R ...not so good...warning!

I fitted a set of recommended Kumho tyres to the 850 R exactly 12 months ago, MOT time cometh so I removed the wheels to clean everything and the back of the Volans etc etc... to my surprise and the tyres have needed pumping up regularly..like every 10 days or so to maintain pressures. They have all got cracks on the inside, nothing shows on the outside at all but the inside is nasty.. So I returned them.. Oh the pain!..Well you have to buy 4 new tyres and we send these back to the distributor and he makes allowance for the tread used and issues a credit for the remainder...Hmmmm...
    It seems that Kumho had a recall for exactly this problem back in 2012..so its back...I've gone for UniRoyals this time.
    He did try to convince me that because they had been losing pressure I'd done the damage myself by so doing and the damage was caused by the tyre rubbing against the rim...I sort of pointed out that perhaps the cracking would have appeared on both front and back if that was the case.. he grudgingly agreed..So the moral is IF you have Kumho's have a looksee on the inside walls

This user has no status

Thanks
    Unless you are really stuck for cash , cheep tyres are more trouble than they are worth.
    Even on shopping cars. They may be legal, but even basic cars doing 60 mph on a wet road stop faster in a shorter distance on good tyres. Maybe the difference between a crash and a "that was close" if someone one does something stupid in front of you.
    Yes I know we should leave large gaps between cars.
    More so on a car like the 850R , the difference is huge.
    So please get good tyres , unless you realy can't afford it.
    Roger.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Which uniroyals ya got? I've always had rainsports but the new rainsport 3s have lasted less than 6 months a mate of mines had the same problem brilliant grip but v-soft specially on a tyre eater like the 850!!!

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    The cheapest option I would use is Avon zv5. They grip well in wet and dry conditions, last for ages and are quiet.

However, since the car went over 300bhp, I've opted for Michelin primacy 3 on the front to cope with the extra oomph.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

VPCUK reigning car of the year
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,777 Times in 1,607 Posts
    ive just fitted some Uniroyals rainsport 3 to my Honda s2000, they are superb in all conditions, when i brought the car it had some Chinese crap on and it was.......... fun in the wet but dangerous if the wife was driving, the unis have stopped all the drama.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Kumho weren't the cheapest option at £75 each...

I'd have liked Pirellis but they are nearer £150 each.

I've gone for Uniroyal Rainsport 3...Lets hope they last better than yours They are the same cost as the Kumho

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Kumho tyres are not regarded as a cheap brand and can be found on various new cars including BMWs.
    I have used them on various cars without problems.
    Its always a good idea to find a reputable independent tyre dealer who has a wide experience of the tyres he sells and the vehicles they suit best. He has a lot to lose if he gives you duff info or sells you poor tyres for your requirements unlike the large chains whose staff in general have a high turnover and couldn't care less and who are always over priced. Budget tyres should be avoided.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    For choosing tyres I try to stick to the MSA listings as there is a lot of choice about now, Kumho are on the list, surprising to hear about cracking as above I didn't think of them as a budget brand (after a bit of initial scepticism)

https://www.msauk.org/assets/2016tyrelists1abc.pdf

The country where I'm working atm has just banned use of tyres older than 4 years by DOT number

538 Nm on the old car. Now
    that was torquing!
    Thanks
    Personally I cannot fault the Rainsport 3's. Running full sets on both the Mrs ph1 V70 and my ph3 V70.

TFM has driven both and he had no complaints.

Yes I will be behind you but
    thats for the benefit of your
    health.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackdog View Post
    Personally I cannot fault the Rainsport 3's. Running full sets on both the Mrs ph1 V70 and my ph3 V70.

TFM has driven both and he had no complaints.
    I used to completely disagree, however, after fitting them on both axles I am fully converted! The rainsport 3's are superb wet or dry and very well priced.
    854 T5 - The new project.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    The cheapest option I would use is Avon zv5. They grip well in wet and dry conditions, last for ages and are quiet.

However, since the car went over 300bhp, I've opted for Michelin primacy 3 on the front to cope with the extra oomph.
    I love the ZV5, just such a good all round tire considering how ridiculously cheap they are. The perfect tire for normal cars (under 250bhp).
    I see the ZV7 is out know as well.
    Last edited by LiamT4; Thursday 21st July 2016 at 00:15.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

12. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

M-R-P (Thursday 21st July 2016)

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LiamT4 View Post
    I love the ZV5, just such a good all round tire considering how ridiculously cheap they are. The perfect tire for normal cars (under 250bhp).
    I see the ZV7 is out know as well.
    I nearly got the 7 (it's the replacement for the outgoing 5) but the primacy 3 was on offer and at 189 a pair fitted and balanced, they were a no-brainer. Very pleased.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    The ZV7 are £62 each for my car.
    It's actually quite funny because tyres for the mrs s40 are actually more expensive than for my s60.
    I think it's because they're a less common size, mine are 225/45 17 and hers are 205/50 17.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

This user has no status

Thanks
    Vredestein sessantas are by far and away the best tyre I've ever experienced

Yes I will be behind you but
    thats for the benefit of your
    health.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Red850Restate View Post
    Vredestein sessantas are by far and away the best tyre I've ever experienced
    I 2nd vredestien, but the ultra vorti. What a tyre, only reason I'm not using them is you can't get a 215 45 17.
    854 T5 - The new project.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

Thread Information