Join Today
    V70 06 P2 2.4 T5 :-)

Thanks

V70 T5 lacking power / boost

Hi all,

My T506 is down on a little power.

The exhaust is blowing and as you accelerate harder it seems like the exhaust is getting over loaded, trying to force things out.
    It does sound louder the more power u put down.

It's at a stage 1.

I recently changed the pcv system and cleaned out the sump.

Some of the jublee clips around some air flow pipes are broken but tight so I will change them.

Just wanted some advice on how to diagnose the issue. I have access to car metrics.

Every time I ask a question on this forum for some help like this I get responses like "it's very hard to diagnose if you don't no what you doing.. blah blah blah, take it to a mechanic" - if your going to reply with something like that then don't bother.

How much effect could a dodgy exhaust have..

Cheers
    Sanj

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Rear silencer could have collapsed. There's a thread somewhere where somebody cut in half the rear section of the exhaust to see that the filling of the silencer had collapsed causing blockage to airflow.

Worthwhile changing the.TCV if it's original as they can go wonky after 100k.

If you have a spare exhaust change over & see if any different, otherwise invest in a new ss cat back & see how you get on.

Cheers, Morgan

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

sanj (Saturday 9th July 2016)

Thanks
    Thanks Morgan - that was helpful

I found a very large crack in the charge pipe after I posted, which no doubt is contributing to boost leakage. The current MAF reading is 255 g/s, I'm sure when I had it remapped Shem told me it was 900 odd so that's a major reduction in boost.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    255g/s is enough air for approx 320bhp. I would be checking for boost leaks first.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mitchyboy01 For This Useful Post:

sanj (Saturday 9th July 2016)

Thanks
    Current boost pressure is 33 PSI (so it says on the Torque app on my phone which hooks up to obd2 wifi connector).

Not sure if that is high or low? Feels low

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I hope that boost reading is wrong as it is at least 14psi too high.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sanj View Post
    Hi all,

My T506 is down on a little power.

The exhaust is blowing and as you accelerate harder it seems like the exhaust is getting over loaded, trying to force things out.
    It does sound louder the more power u put down.

It's at a stage 1.

I recently changed the pcv system and cleaned out the sump.

Some of the jublee clips around some air flow pipes are broken but tight so I will change them.

Just wanted some advice on how to diagnose the issue. I have access to car metrics.

Every time I ask a question on this forum for some help like this I get responses like "it's very hard to diagnose if you don't no what you doing.. blah blah blah, take it to a mechanic" - if your going to reply with something like that then don't bother.

How much effect could a dodgy exhaust have..

Cheers
    Sanj
    For somebody that's trying to help, saying things like that won't get you very far! All advise is exactly that..advise! Take of it what you will and extract what you want then move on. Don't take offense if someone offers you sound advice, it's not personal and shouldn't be taken as such.

Current boost pressure is 33 PSI (so it says on the Torque app on my phone which hooks up to obd2 wifi connector).

Not sure if that is high or low? Feels low
    As Mitchyboy says....Lets hope it's not 33psi else your engine won't last 5 minutes! IIRC the T5 ECM won't allow more than 25psi before it goes into limp mode and restricts performance. Any ECU mappers confirm that?
    Clearly the Torque app reading is incorrect or the BPS is faulty and giving incorrect info, alas, I'm sure the ECM would have taken over anyhow and gone into limp home mode.

Anyhow, aside from your 'down on a little power' issue, may I draw your attention to your post on 6th March 2016 stating that your car has a 'mysterious coolant leak'.....http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...t-Leak-T5-2006

Well let me tell you this. There is nothing 'mysterious' about a coolant leak, it either leaks OR it doesn't! By your own admission, you've yet to diagnose the cause of this coolant leak and the thread is ongoing....
    Now your posting about a 'lack of power' and strange noises from the exhaust.

Ever stop to consider that maybe the two are connected?

Now correct me if I'm wrong but it seems to me like your continuing to drive your T5 with an undiagnosed coolant leak and now 6 months later you've now got running issues? Coolant leaks, in my experience, come in many shapes and sizes and in most cases start off fairly harmless and if fixed promptly, will cause no further problems. Continuing to drive for 6 months with an undiagnosed leak is foolish and will inherently cause damage to your engine.
    Without blowing my own trumpet, I myself gave you sound advise back in March with regards your coolant leak and it's clear to me that you've not taken that advice, which is fine, but don't come on this forum asking for advise and at the same time, inadvertently slag ppl off by telling us 'not to bother'
    I'll happily advise forum members "Not to bother" giving you ANY advice especially as, by your own admission, you don't heed any of it and just plough on regardless, so it's clear to us all that you don't listen.

Of the 10 threads you've started only 2 of them have been 'issue' related and you've not asked that many questions, so I'm assuming that, and I'll quote your ..."it's very hard to diagnose if you don't no what you doing.. blah blah blah, take it to a mechanic"....was aimed at me?
    Now here we are...3 months down the line, coolant issue still not diagnosed and you say this...

"Oh yeh, I've not pressure tested the coolent system yet, I forgot you mentioned that before ..
    But entertain me a little, could the turbo or coolent lines running to the turbo leak coolent into the exhuast directly?
    I pressure tested the cylinders to make good of the head gasket
    "

As I said, you've still not had your coolant leak properly diagnosed, your clearly not listening or heeding anybody's advice, so why should anyone here waste their time giving you any more advise on the matter?
    It's clear across 3 threads now that you have a coolant loss issue.....

This thread, plus....

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...t-Leak-T5-2006
    and ....
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...ild&highlight=

To summarize,
    Any advice given by any forum member on the OP's original Question in relation to this thread is pointless and will, no doubt, fall on deaf ears, until you Sir....

DIAGNOSE AND FIX YOUR COOLANT LOSS ISSUE FIRST
    Last edited by LeeT5; Sunday 10th July 2016 at 10:53.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Sanj,

I'll give you one more piece of advise that will help you out no end!

Head on over to http://forums.t5d5.org/

Like us, there a real friendly bunch and will go out of their way to help you and definitely give you sound advice.

All I'll say is this, pin yer ears back and listen and don't upset Ben

(contains absolutely no sarcasm whatsoever)
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Yes I will be behind you but
    thats for the benefit of your
    health.
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post
    I hope that boost reading is wrong as it is at least 14psi too high.
    I imagine thats PSIA so minus atmospheric and you have around 19psi PSIG (actual boost) so about right for a mapped car i suspect.
    854 T5 - The new project.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Sanj,

I'll give you one more piece of advise that will help you out no end!

Head on over to http://forums.t5d5.org/

Like us, there a real friendly bunch and will go out of their way to help you and definitely give you sound advice.

All I'll say is this, pin yer ears back and listen and don't upset Ben

(contains absolutely no sarcasm whatsoever)
    Hi Lee,

Sorry didn't mean to offend, but I can see how my comment got on the wrong side of you and other members.

I guess where I was coming from is that I want help to diagnose and fix the coolent issue myself, but in this case that's not possible, as you said.

I only know 1 guy in bham who I trust so I will call him tomorrow and get it booked in.

Thanks for your patience

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Hi Lee,

Sorry didn't mean to offend, but I can see how my comment got on the wrong side of you and other members.

I guess where I was coming from is that I want help to diagnose and fix the coolent issue myself, but in this case that's not possible, as you said.

I only know 1 guy in bham who I trust so I will call him tomorrow and get it booked in.

Thanks for your patience
    Good call. Don't know why you didn't do it months ago?

Anyway, good luck and I hope your Mechanic sorts the problem.

As with any forum, it's always good to keep us updated so that other members can gleam from your findings.
    I'm sure we'd all be interested to know what the fault was and if you get it fixed, I myself included

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Good call. Don't know why you didn't do it months ago?
    Prob because I foolishly believed i could fix it myself, i did have a go a few times trying to find it and failed.

This volvo passion makes you do/think crazy things

Will keep you posted.
    Thanks

15. The Following User Says Thank You to sanj For This Useful Post:

Rnash2002 (Sunday 10th July 2016)

Thread Information