Join Today
    trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks

What battery for an 850 t5

What battery fitment do the 850'same have? Struggling to figure out what should be there. Is it a 027? Seen this at eurocarparts and it lists it for my vehicle. I know it's normally easy to check but I don't think it has the right size battery on it (its a lot smaller than my p1 v70 had).
    http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Vo...04677f5&000020

Thanks
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

jdavis (Sunday 29th May 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
    Is that the right fitment as it lists as its for diesel?
    I've found the bosch on eBay for £70

time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Check the physical dimensions. The battery trays are the same iirc - dervish just need a bigger kick, but fine to use on petrol.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

jdavis (Sunday 29th May 2016)

Thanks
    Check the physical dimensions. The battery trays are the same iirc - dervish just need a bigger kick, but fine to use on petrol.
    Nice one, cheers

Thanks
    Will that footprint (096) definitely fit the tray and use the correct clamp? Sorry to be a pain but I'm not near my car to measure.

Thanks
    Bought one of those today, just waiting for delivery. Thanks for the recommendation mate

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jdavis For This Useful Post:

Shinsplintz 101 (Monday 30th May 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    OK...so everyone to there own but to keep reliability one should use the recommended...

If you put a Diesel type heavier duty battery on a petrol car then the alternator may not keep it charged up to full.

On the 850 petrol the alternator amps output is 80 if no A/C and 100 with A/C

But on the Diesel it is 115 amps!

The 096 is only the size/type to fit the tray and not to suit the electronics/mechanics of the car.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
    OK...so everyone to there own but to keep reliability one should use the recommended...

If you put a Diesel type heavier duty battery on a petrol car then the alternator may not keep it charged up to full.

On the 850 petrol the alternator amps output is 80 if no A/C and 100 with A/C

But on the Diesel it is 115 amps!

The 096 is only the size/type to fit the tray and not to suit the electronics/mechanics of the car.
    True.....to a point.

The larger capacity battery (700AH +) will take longer to charge....especially with the smaller output alternator. But charge it will. If your running all available electronic equipment & doing short repeated journeys then you may run into problems as there won't be enough spare current to fully charge the battery fully every time - but that is also true of the smaller capacity batteries. Manufacturers design the electronic systems to draw around 80% of alternator power under full load with 20% for recharging. If you do long runs &/or use little electronics then your going to be fine.

Having the higher CCA available will also help offset recharging needs as the extra oomph at turnover should get the engine fired up first time rather than repeated turn overs of a weaker battery, therefore causing less drain on the battery in the first place, hence less power to be replaced by the recharging system.

However I am interested to know why the derv 850s run higher rated alternators- is it to cover the excessive drain of glow plugs on repeated short journeys?? Answers on a postcard.....

Cheers, Morgan

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Mega compression and glowplugs, fella.

Takes a massive whack to start them from cold.
    The battery that came out of my TDi as it wouldn't crank it any more from cold, happily starts my T5.

Guess the bigger alternators are to charge the battery quicker as it's taken so many amps to start and run the glowplugs
    Last edited by Doingitsideways; Tuesday 31st May 2016 at 20:08.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

Shinsplintz 101 (Tuesday 31st May 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Not arguing at all just discussing........but this modern era thinks owners really are stupid so when buying a battery charger from Halfords they now rate them as for a small car...a medium size car or a large car...how stupid.
    So I bought one for a medium car or up to 2000cc as I thought that was near enough to charge my V70 T5 battery but it never did charge it fully as me being old school checked it with my hydrometer.

There is something about lower amp devices not being able to charge fully a higher amp battery.

Just try using your mobile phone charger on your tablet as it won't fully charge it until you connect the correct charger which is 0.5amp and the mobile phone charger is 0.35 amp...just 0.15 difference but will only charge the tablet to 80%.
    Last edited by 960kg; Tuesday 31st May 2016 at 23:59.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

Shinsplintz 101 (Wednesday 1st June 2016)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
    Bought one of those today, just waiting for delivery. Thanks for the recommendation mate
    The 096 battery you've bought will be absolutely fine mate. It will fit the tray perfectly because the tray from an 850 petrol is exactly the same as a tray in a derv.
    The alternator on your 850 T5 is perfectly ok to charge the bigger 096. Just make sure, after you've fitted the battery, the charge rate on tick over is good. It should be perfectly stable at about 14.00v.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

jdavis (Wednesday 1st June 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    The 096 battery you've bought will be absolutely fine mate. It will fit the tray perfectly because the tray from an 850 petrol is exactly the same as a tray in a derv.
    The alternator on your 850 T5 is perfectly ok to charge the bigger 096. Just make sure, after you've fitted the battery, the charge rate on tick over is good. It should be perfectly stable at about 14.00v.
    Spot on mate, thanks for that!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi,
    I deal with batteries and electronic chargers ect at work , and have access to some good testing equipment.
    I have had a good play round with the electric system on the 850's and early V70's both T5 and Diesel .
    Points of note
    1 car makers like using smaller battery's where they can as it saves them money, and has less wight in them and this all goes to better performance and mpg.
    2 alternator size is based on expected load and average engine speed
    The Diesel 850/v70 for instance has 3 (2 on later cars) glow plug type heaters in pipe fitting that feeds the interior heater of the car, this helps them warm up farster inside , and loads the engine more to produce more heat that way. This alone is a fair load , I can't rember , exactly but I believe around 35 amps. These stay on during warm up.
    The alternators on these cars are fitted with a constant voltage regulator , with only temperature compensation, that try to give out a constant voltage.in practice they don't always achieve this due to a number of factors.
    They make more amps as they go faster , up to the max current rating or the regulator setting.
    The T5 with auto/ac is rated at 55/100 amp and the diesels one at 65/115 amp apart from the very late ones that were up to 120 amp
    This is the max output at 1800 rpm and 6000rpm alternator speed , not engine speed , approx 2.4 times engine speed. So approx at idle and at cruise.
    Being sad I have spent a lot of time at work and at home doing lots of testing.
    For the same car , a cold start takes a lower % out of a big battery than a smaller one , as it only takes the same amount of power to start the car.
    A battery will only take charge, if and when the alternator is producing enough power to power the car and raise the system voltage above that of the battery standing voltage.
    The battery will absorb this extra power to charge up. The difference between a big battery and a smaller one , is to replace the same amount of power that the start needed, will take longer on a small battery. In practice about 5 amp difference , once charged the float current will only be about 1amp or less more on the big battery.
    so the extra size of a big battery does no harm, in fact it is better as it smooths things out.
    One point I did note on the T5's is at night is you can see the lights dip as you let the engine drop to idle speed , the bigger battery reduced this effect. You can also cure it by a better alternator such as the 60/120 amp one fitted to a lot of 960's or S/V90 , with just a pulley change.
    There are other larger output ones in the same Bosch family of other cars , but you them need to change cases ect as the brackets are not all in the same place

Long story short bigger battery better but costs more.
    Roger

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    With respect, I think your over complicating things.

Just fit the biggest battery you can fit in the tray and have done with it. If you do many short journeys and lots of stop/start, then you should really consider fitting an AGM type battery of the same or bigger size than that, that is fitted as standard.

The only only golden rule is not to fit a smaller battery than that that is fitted or listed for the vehicle application.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Note this does not apply to later cars such as mark 3 V70's ect as a lot of them have active power management on them and can mess things up
    Roger

This user has no status

Thanks
    I was just trying to show, that it was not just a finger in the air, a guess it will be ok.
    Roger.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerb View Post
    Note this does not apply to later cars such as mark 3 V70's ect as a lot of them have active power management on them and can mess things up
    Roger
    On the MKIII V70 with battery management, you change the battery in the normal manner, making sure to plug in a memory saver into the OBD.

Once the battery is changed you need to update the car and tell it you've fitted a new battery.

Thanks
    I never thought a battery thread could create such debate. Thanks for all the info. Yes the bigger battery has made a difference, the kids are able to leave the courtesy lights on over night now and the car will still start in the morning

Thread Information