Join Today
    trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks

FFS! 850 t5 not starting

Hi guys,

Any tips?
    Drove fine to tesco, went shop, came out, started very lumpy then died. Not started since. Turns over ok. I'm suspecting fuel pump/relay. Took relay out and it looks fine.
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    Similar symptoms when my fuelpump controller died. Wired 12v direct to the pump and it started working so replaced the controller. Maybe try wiring power to the pump and try starting. (Dont run for too long though)

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

Thanks
    Cheers Rich, green flag just been out. He's had a nosey around the pump and said there's power to it on ignition so suspect the pump. Just sat waiting for flatbed now as he can't dolly an auto apparently.

Thanks
    Where's this controller out of interest? Thanks

Overall VPCUK car of the year
    Thanks
    id say pump, try tapping it on the top then try starting it on idle the pump is running and on load it runs but cuts out when coasting so if pump siezed itll try, run and fail a walbro is as cheap or cheaper than a new volvo one

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I have a spare pump when I replaced my OEM one with the DW300. You can have it for 10 quid?

Name:  old fp vs new.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  344.7 KB
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

jdavis (Sunday 29th May 2016)

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    On the S60 it was near the osr wheel arch, not a clue on the 850. (Or if it even has one).

Like Wobbly, I have a spare pump off the S60, not sure useful it would be but yours if you want it
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    If as the Green Flag man said, that there's no power to to pump, then check the 4 pin relay on the radiator and the wires to it, as they break up over time (small breaks in the cable cover that then corrode over time), took me a long time to find on mine when I had a similar issue and no power to the pump. Try getting someone to crank the starter whilst you wiggle the wiring to it, you may find it springs to life....that's how I found my problem

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Thanks
    Thanks for the advice guys. Bought a pump from someone breaking a t5. Just waiting on delivery. Thanks for that though Dave, didn't see the post in time though. Doh!
    He said there was power to the pump but will do7ble check everything as he wasn't the brightest spark

Ghost Rider
    If I want your opinion, I'll
    ask you to fill out the
    necessary forms
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,921 Times in 1,186 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    If as the Green Flag man said, that there's no power to to pump, then check the 4 pin relay on the radiator and the wires to it, as they break up over time (small breaks in the cable cover that then corrode over time), took me a long time to find on mine when I had a similar issue and no power to the pump. Try getting someone to crank the starter whilst you wiggle the wiring to it, you may find it springs to life....that's how I found my problem
    The relay on the front panel by the radiator is the power relay that supplies voltage to the injectors, MAF, ICV, PTC valve and the TCV. The fuel pimp relay is located in the fuse board under the removable panel by the fuses. The relay gets a signal from the ecu when the ignition lights are on for a short time to prime the system, once the engine is cranked over the relay then supplies the fuel pump allow the engine to start.

Name:  850-fuel-pump-relay.jpg
Size:  82.1 KB

1996 850 T5 AWD - Self tuned M4.4 ECU with COP`s, B5254T ( S60R internals in a 850 block ) ostrich 2.0 , VXR injectors @ 3.8 bar, K24 turbo with a 6+6 compressor wheel, 3.25" MAF, top mounted Dump Valve, RN Exhaust manifold, 3" downpipe with 200 cell cat, 2.75" Stainless exhaust, Brembo calipers, S60R brake discs, stainless RIP kit, 3" Throttle body,

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oblark View Post
    The relay on the front panel by the radiator is the power relay that supplies voltage to the injectors, MAF, ICV, PTC valve and the TCV. The fuel pimp relay is located in the fuse board under the removable panel by the fuses. The relay gets a signal from the ecu when the ignition lights are on for a short time to prime the system, once the engine is cranked over the relay then supplies the fuel pump allow the engine to start.

Name:  850-fuel-pump-relay.jpg
Size:  82.1 KB
    Yep, see what you mean Rob, but the one that can cause the most grief I've found to be the one on the radiator.I've always though of it as the pump relay, wrongly I know

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Thanks
    Yeah I checked the relay pointed out by Rob at the 'roadside' and it is engaging ok. Pump will be with me by the end of the week, treating her to a new battery while it's off the road and hopefully get time to deal with a couple of niggles

Thread Information