Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Age related niggles and fixes, advice on what's worth doing

Hi there

So folks, I'm after some sage wisdom on what I can focus on to "freshen up" the old girl a bit! It's a 2005 S60 D5 with 136000 on it and full history so hasn't been too badly maintained.

What I've done so far:
    All park assist bits renewed and working
    Oil and filter change
    Coolant change
    Power steering fluid change
    Fuel filter changed (after I ran the tank very low and got warning lights, more on this in a bit....)
    Checked intercooler is straight and in good nick
    new tyres
    Had a remap (woohoo!) :-)

Changing a noisy wheel bearing tomorrow.
    There's an as yet unidentified squeak when pulling away, think suspension related but open to ideas?

I had the engine service required warning and error no 124 after running the tank stupidly low on my way back from the mapping (long story) so filled it with v power and changed the fuel filter. Still had the light so having ruled out fuel filter, thought I'd try a blast with some Wynns dpf cleaner as I saw online that error code 124 can be lambda sensor or dpf related. Seems to have sorted it for now but may be dpf delete time soon.......

I have skid prevention temporarily off displaying now so if the wheel bearing change doesn't sort that I'll check abs sensors/rings and steering position sensor.

Steering rack will need doing soon unfortunately as it has the dreaded pulse/pull back and I'll replace the vac engine mounts but the others seem solid enough. Not interested in polybush mounts but fairly certain it's only a matter of time before the extra torque chomps the current ones.

So on to business!! What would you recommend I do to give her a bit more love? What have I missed? Bushings and so on?

Finally, thanks for reading my essay and any tips!

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    If you like the car then yes. Most of what you said above is age related, some could occur if you got the same car again......at least if something is replaced it should be good for a while

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Cheers Santa. Though the car's worth a couple of grand at best, putting another 1k in to it if it gives me a few years seems worth it.

Have had the fault codes read today plus had to have one locking wheel nut drilled out as someone previous had tightened it so much that I cracked the head trying to get it out................. Will have to see what the forum makes of my fault codes later......

Thread Information