Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigsi15 View Post
    Thanks buddy il get on this when money allows. Other thing may be trying to adjust my timing, if I'm 7% advanced how does that correlate to timing belt positions or is it not that simple? Il happily give the timing another go to see if that helps
    I gave you the wrong torque for the Knock Sensors it should of been 20Nm for your model.

You cannot adjust the Ignition Timing as the ECU does it but at 1420 revs, a fast idle, it should be 4 to 8 degrees BTDC

You won`t get detonation or pinking while revving from idle you have to have a load on the engine....driving.

To me the noise doesn`t sound like pinking or ignition trouble as it seems to do it on a light throttle ....but the type of rattle sounds to me like the turbo heat shield rattling where the nuts are not tight enough or a clamp on the exhaust not tight or even a Cat. starting to rattle.... Had one go on my 960.

If you think you have ignition advance problems try moving the distributor cap the way the rotor turns,retard, if there is play in it and even clean off any carbon on the rotor or contacts in the cap and it will lessen the spark to jump early!.......old school ways, but the ECU may still try to correct any adjustment?

I think your engine sounds great.
    Last edited by 960kg; Sunday 22nd May 2016 at 16:12.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:

Bigsi15 (Sunday 22nd May 2016)

Bored it now need to build
    it...
    Thanks
    960kg thanks for your helpful comments and kind words, I'm also very relieved to hear you say that! I hadn't even thought about Cat rattle but plausibly this is a very good point as it does seem to sound like it comes from the back of the engine and that is probably the original one fitted 170,000 miles ago! The turbo took a little bit of effort to remove shall we say so it's quite possible it got disturbed in the process. Interestingly I had my next door neighbour come out with me briefly today to have a listen, although not a mechanic he's done a few engine replacement in his time mainly on older cars and he didn't seem to think it was pinking either but probably more transmission.

If I get some time tomorrow afternoon I'll check the torque on those knock sensors (thanks for the updated measurement) and I'll have a look at my timing. The distributor cap and rotor arm are all new from Volvo so hopefully should be working okay but Il remove them and line up the crankshaft mark and see how horizontal the slots are in my head. Because I had to remove the gears from the camshafts I lined my timing up using the slots rather than the notches on the gears and once I was happy everything was in line I adjusted the gears to match the timing belt marks on the cover just in case I ever had to remove the belt again. Probably not the correct way to do it but it seems to have worked. If I remember rightly The belt teeth would not properly engage on where the camshaft gear had been lined up so I may have moved one of the gears ever so slightly for a proper fit but the camshaft shouldn't have moved because it was locked. Having the slight advancing timing does seem to have made a difference at the higher rpm as I always Felt the old engine felt very flat especially for a turbocharger engine as it never really surgged and went and if anything it slowed down at higher rpm so maybe the timing has altered this.

Thanks again

it...
    Thanks
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 0
Size:  44.1 KBName:  image.jpeg
Size:  36.5 KBName:  image.jpeg
Size:  38.3 KB

it...
    Thanks
    So checked the timing and with the crank lined up, the top 2 photos show the position of intake and exhaust (2nd photo) cams. The intake seems out of line which I think was caused by a bent locking tool which must have bent while holding against the torque of the vvt cam when I did my s60. Anyway Iv straightened it up (3rd photo) slightly so will see how that drives and if it changes any noises.

Am I right in assuming once the crank is set you want these grooves to run in line with the seams in the head??

Thanks again

This user has no status

Thanks
    Newbie here, Sorry for the old thread revival. I have been chasing the EXACT same rattle you described in your original couple posts. Did you ever figure out what it was? Thanks!

it...
    Thanks
    Hi! To be honest after fiddling with pretty much everything from what I remember it continued so I just ignored it LOL. I drove the car today to see if I could hear it and I don’t think I can anymore however I have upgraded to a new turbo back exhaust and my old downpipe had a small crack in it, so whether it is now not audible due to the louder exhaust or as suggested above catalytic converter rattling or something to do with the crack perhaps I’m not too sure. Before all of this my money was on the transmission or the turbo but it seemed to drive like this fine for a long time And is still okay, and a look down into the cylinders did not show any pitting on the pistons. It sounds like you’ve done most troubleshooting but it’s so hard to know. could simply be a loose bolt somewhere but perhaps check your exhaust is all done up properly and in good condition. If your car is tuned it might be worth getting the AFRs checked as well just in case as that would be a more worrying problem!

Sorry I can’t be more help

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for the reply sir! Any info is helpful at this point. I have tried and replaced more things than i care to share trying to figure this out. Lol.The cat is one thing i havent removed yet to check. My other thought that i havent checked was my forged cbv chattering. Those were the 2 remainging items on my check list when i found this thread. Afrs seem good, pretty sure its not detonation or ping. It does seem to run fine, but i'm gonna have a hard time ignoring this sound. Haha.

it...
    Thanks
    Yeah that’s a good point it could be something like that, I have to be honest though mine was not that noticeable unless you up near a wall or something solid with the window down while driving. Otherwise you could hear if you listened out for it but someone else in the car wouldn’t notice it. I suppose perhaps on a slightly different note it might be worth checking the rubber boot that seals the steering column through the floor as when mine popped up it made a significant amount of extra noise in the cabin

This user has no status

Thanks
    Mine has gotten a tad loud, I can hear it with all windows, doors shut. Its very loud against a wall, which is my most of commute home. Haha. Good point on the steering bushing. Will check it out this evening. At least i have a few more things to try now. The saga continues...

it...
    Thanks
    Hmm if it’s getting louder then it may not be the steering column boot although that will effect cabin noise. Let us know how you get on good luck!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Checked out the steering boot, it looked to be in place. Just to add to the mystery, it was silent on my 40 mile compute home and still quiet on the trip in to work this morning. First time it hasn't rattled in months. I guess I'll find out if this is good news or bad soon enough. Haha.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AstroS60R View Post
    Checked out the steering boot, it looked to be in place. Just to add to the mystery, it was silent on my 40 mile compute home and still quiet on the trip in to work this morning. First time it hasn't rattled in months. I guess I'll find out if this is good news or bad soon enough. Haha.
    Uh oh, that could be the calm before the storm!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Thread Information