Join Today
    New here...old and oily
    elsewhere
    Thanks

V70R - Project - Silver Machine

I am the first to admit that my post count since joining this illustrious forum has been…abysmal!!! That is not to say that I have been ignoring the on goings. I can say hand on heart the inspiration from one or two regular project contributors has had me searching for the solution.

This finally arrived a few weeks ago in the shape of a Silver Metallic ’53 plate ’04 spec. manual V70R with full Volvo service history. It now sits beside the ’06 spec. Geartronic Sapphire Black V70R which my good lady will be driving as her ’01 spec V70 T5 will sadly have to depart after some 11 years of faithful service. (If I had the room, it would be staying as the family workhorse)

So yes, we are now a two V70R family. His & Hers. No, we won’t be wearing matching woolly pullys!!

Since the arrival a few jobs have been undertaken;

Later ’05> rear lights have been fitted. (Lee you know where this is going.)
    The slightly damaged load area interior has been repaired/replaced.
    The steel drop down luggage guard swapped in from the T5.
    Load area floor cover with storage netting swapped in from the T5.
    Diadem indicator bulbs fitted.
    Centre console cubby box lid and gear lever staging carbon wrapped.
    Anthracite Pegasus 18” wheels fitted with Dunlop Sportmaxx
    Jetex Blue air filter fitted.
    Nordkap Blue leather cleaned and Autoglym leather care cream applied

Jobs awaiting parts;

OE Rear Mud Flaps being collected tomorrow.
    ‘05> OE flat wiper arms and blades are being collected tomorrow.
    Replacement oil filler cap seal being collected tomorrow. (Old one is like a ring of hard plastic.
    IPD strut brace mountings on their way.
    Super Pro Top Engine/Steady Bar bush arrived today but;
    Awaiting Powerflex small bush for above before the whole steady bar rebushing/remounting is carried out.

To Do List.

Front and Rear 5mm Eibach Spacers and full alignment check/adjustment.
    Cherished transfer swap
    Later gear position embossed gear lever knob. (Current one is a bit threadbare!!) (Lee you wouldn’t have the right part number to hand? Thanks.)
    Performance Exhaust (Make to be decided)
    Powerflex to lower front wishbones
    ‘05> Tailgate badging
    D5 oil cooler conversion.
    Brembo Drilled Disc conversion.
    Windowed air box conversion.
    Refurbish the silver 18” Pegasus that came with the car and fit winter tyres.
    New Monroes 4C’s all round
    Atacama conversion.
    Fit Black grill surround conversion off the Sapphire Black V70R
    Fit the Elevate Front Bumper Lower Grille Insert

And much much more………

I’m fairly inept at good photos but I’ll do my best to supply some sort of pictorial update. However, there is a lot to live up to here.

What I can say is; that having driven a P2 Geartronic V70R for the last 18 months the difference in sliding into a manual one is night and day and supports the old adage.

The light is bright!!!
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10521&dateline=138532  2015

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to V70-R-T5 For This Useful Post:

BigGreg (Monday 16th May 2016),LeeT5 (Wednesday 18th May 2016),MoleT-5R (Wednesday 4th May 2016),Santa (Sunday 8th May 2016),Wobbly Dave (Thursday 5th May 2016)

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Looking forward to following this project along, nice start and keep up the good work, always fancied a p2r but the stable is too full for now..

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Good luck - may the dreams of your flywheel output be as strong as the power on the road.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

New here...old and oily
    elsewhere
    Thanks
    Quick progress update

OE Rear Mud Flaps fitted.
    ‘05> OE flat wiper arms and blades fitted
    Replacement oil filler cap seal fitted.
    Black grill surround conversion off the Sapphire Black V70R fitted
    Elevate Front Bumper Lower Grille Insert fitted.
    Top Steady Bar - Powerflex small bush fitted.
    Super Pro Top Engine/Steady Bar bush fitted.
    IPD Steady Bar mountings fitted.

New gear lever ordered (birthday from the wife:-).
    Detachable tow ball located (was missing when I bought the car) and will be on its way on Monday.(Out going T5 will be sold with tow bar, so need a tow facility for me boat).

Much cleaning of various engine bay bits has been done as the work has been undertaken.

Next job is to remove the propshaft to have a look at the centre bearing, UJ and end joints and try to establish the source of the slight vibration around 60 mph. It's not the wheels/tyres as the ones on the car are new. Paul Rigby who looked after the car for the previous owner mentioned the propshaft may need "looking at". The bracket of doom has taken a whack at some point so things may take a down turn once I get the shaft off. If anything at 90k miles the shaft could do with a service as per Lee's helpful thread.
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10521&dateline=138532  2015

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V70-R-T5 For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Wednesday 18th May 2016),Santa (Monday 16th May 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Means more with photos.

V70r 6Speed Auto
    First car to put a smile back on my face for years!

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Gear knob number.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Monday 16th May 2016)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    nice knob
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    nice knob
    Why thank you !

New here...old and oily
    elsewhere
    Thanks
    [QUOTE=Harvey;800990]Gear knob number.

Thanks Harvey. They finally found it and I'm told it'll be here (all the way from Sweden) this week.

Apologies for the lack of pictures. Will have the camera out soon. All I can say is the propshaft job has taken a slight downward spiral so the camera hasn't been high on my list of tools.

It would appear that whoever did the angle gear job prior to me owning the car has conveniently rounded two of the six Allen bolts on the front flange when tightening them up. Have used all means from my past (that's past, NOT vast) "on the tools" experience (spline drive, torx drive, the old hammer and chisel method and even cutting a slot in the head) has all been in vain. What I can do however, is report that in cutting the slot, a Bosh Angle Grinder WILL fit between the down pipe and the propshaft tunnel once the Lambda sensor loom is detached from it mounting bracket. Resistance is futile; your propshaft will come out!!! The saga will continue...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to V70-R-T5 For This Useful Post:

BigGreg (Wednesday 18th May 2016),Harvey (Thursday 19th May 2016)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by V70-R-T5 View Post
    Quick progress update

OE Rear Mud Flaps fitted.
    ‘05> OE flat wiper arms and blades fitted
    Replacement oil filler cap seal fitted.
    Black grill surround conversion off the Sapphire Black V70R fitted
    Elevate Front Bumper Lower Grille Insert fitted.
    Top Steady Bar - Powerflex small bush fitted.
    Super Pro Top Engine/Steady Bar bush fitted.
    IPD Steady Bar mountings fitted.

New gear lever ordered (birthday from the wife:-).
    Detachable tow ball located (was missing when I bought the car) and will be on its way on Monday.(Out going T5 will be sold with tow bar, so need a tow facility for me boat).

Much cleaning of various engine bay bits has been done as the work has been undertaken.

Next job is to remove the propshaft to have a look at the centre bearing, UJ and end joints and try to establish the source of the slight vibration around 60 mph. It's not the wheels/tyres as the ones on the car are new. Paul Rigby who looked after the car for the previous owner mentioned the propshaft may need "looking at". The bracket of doom has taken a whack at some point so things may take a down turn once I get the shaft off. If anything at 90k miles the shaft could do with a service as per Lee's helpful thread.
    What do you mean..?
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by V70-R-T5 View Post
    I am the first to admit that my post count since joining this illustrious forum has been…abysmal!!! That is not to say that I have been ignoring the on goings. I can say hand on heart the inspiration from one or two regular project contributors has had me searching for the solution.

This finally arrived a few weeks ago in the shape of a Silver Metallic ’53 plate ’04 spec. manual V70R with full Volvo service history. It now sits beside the ’06 spec. Geartronic Sapphire Black V70R which my good lady will be driving as her ’01 spec V70 T5 will sadly have to depart after some 11 years of faithful service. (If I had the room, it would be staying as the family workhorse)

So yes, we are now a two V70R family. His & Hers. No, we won’t be wearing matching woolly pullys!!

Since the arrival a few jobs have been undertaken;

Later ’05> rear lights have been fitted. (Lee you know where this is going.) Indeed, I do!
    The slightly damaged load area interior has been repaired/replaced.
    The steel drop down luggage guard swapped in from the T5.
    Load area floor cover with storage netting swapped in from the T5.
    Diadem indicator bulbs fitted.
    Centre console cubby box lid and gear lever staging carbon wrapped.
    Anthracite Pegasus 18” wheels fitted with Dunlop Sportmaxx Great choice, Very easy to clean and apply Tyre gel. You'll be impressed.
    Jetex Blue air filter fitted.
    Nordkap Blue leather cleaned and Autoglym leather care cream applied

Jobs awaiting parts;

OE Rear Mud Flaps being collected tomorrow.
    ‘05> OE flat wiper arms and blades are being collected tomorrow.
    Replacement oil filler cap seal being collected tomorrow. (Old one is like a ring of hard plastic).
    IPD strut brace mountings on their way.
    Super Pro Top Engine/Steady Bar bush
    arrived today but; Sweet!!
    Awaiting Powerflex small bush for above before the whole steady bar rebushing/remounting is carried out.

To Do List.

Front and Rear 5mm Eibach Spacers and full alignment check/adjustment.
    Cherished transfer swap
    Later gear position embossed gear lever knob. (Current one is a bit threadbare!!) (Lee you wouldn’t have the right part number to hand? Thanks.) Sorry, late seeing thread. Harvey has supplied.
    Performance Exhaust (Make to be decided) Get custom built....Way, way cheaper and IMHO, a better fit. Plus you can tailor the exhaust tips, as I did.
    Powerflex to lower front wishbones Don't forget the Wishbone rears too! New Powerflex bush is very good.
    ‘05> Tailgate badging
    D5 oil cooler conversion. Don't forget the oil cooler 'O' rings
    Brembo Drilled Disc conversion.
    Windowed air box conversion. Who ever gave you that idea?
    Refurbish the silver 18” Pegasus that came with the car and fit winter tyres.
    New Monroes 4C’s all round
    Atacama conversion.
    Fit Black grill surround conversion off the Sapphire Black V70R Need to know what you mean with this?
    Fit the Elevate Front Bumper Lower Grille Insert
    Will be great seeing the pictures as you progress mate.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

New here...old and oily
    elsewhere
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    What do you mean..?
    I modified the grille on my '05 Sapphire Black V70R to have a black finish to the surround and the diagonals each side of the badge. I think similar to the grille on yours, Lee. (My black V70R will be the wifes new transport replacing her T5.) She isn't bothered what grille is on her car so I have swapped the original spec grille off my 'new' silver V70R with the modified one off the black one.

Silver with black

Black with silver

My current "garage" forecourt !!

You're right Greg, easier with pictures !!

I should say the propshaft is now off (thanks Bosch grinder) and can report...it's totally goosed. It must have taked a right skelp from the silencer when the previous owner hit the "bracket of doom". New propshaft ordered today so I'm on bread and water for the next year. Not taking any chances so 12 new bolts and 6 new bolt tabs ordered also. Still...on the up side, my birthday from the wife also arrived at Volvo, so there'll be a nice new gear knob being fitted for the post propshaft fitting road test.
    Last edited by V70-R-T5; Thursday 19th May 2016 at 21:12.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Oh I see. I'm thinking of going back to stock with my grille.

New here...old and oily
    elsewhere
    Thanks
    WELL…finally an update!!!

As mentioned previously, when I bought the car I had noticed the tell-tale mark on the prop shaft suggesting all was not well, the mark indicated damage resulting in a vibration from around 55mph upwards.

The angle Grinder did fit between the down pipe and the prop shaft tunnel and eventually I managed to free off the front flange.

Once the prop shaft was out, I was able to see exactly what damage had been done

Having had the “bracket of death” slammed into the exhaust…

And the exhaust slammed into the prop shaft…

Comparing new with old there is a clear elongation of the centre bearing housing to the 12.30/1 o’clock as you look at the housing here....

...and from the other side...

I mean, how long can you drive with the prop rubbing on the silencer!!!

What not much change out of £1200 looks like….

The interesting thing is Volvo supply allen bolts that have a larger hex., which certainly made the fitting feel better. An hour or so later the new shaft was fitted and all vibrations gone.

Time for coffee and bickies…
    Last edited by V70-R-T5; Saturday 11th February 2017 at 20:04.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to V70-R-T5 For This Useful Post:

Harvey (Saturday 11th February 2017),htomi (Sunday 12th February 2017),LeeT5 (Saturday 11th February 2017)

Thread Information