Join Today
    Bored it now need to build
    it...
    Thanks

Timing belt noise?

Hi guys
    Have my new engine built now and it's running in well be it gently. Recently I had a major oil leak as shown in another post when the oil cooler line popped off and covered everything (except the timing belt) in oil. I then used petrol when cold to clean this mess off to good effect.

Before this I had no noises but now I have a whirring noise that alternates with speed especially noticeable at low rpm. It doesn't make noise when cold. I have removed the aux belt and that made no difference. Oil level is ok and Pcv seems to be sucking in well. Doesn't change if clutch depressed.

My question really is can the timing belts make some noise when new? All my timing belt kit is new genuine Volvo other than the tensioner which I didn't change due to cost and it was extremely hard to compress back down! I tried very hard to get no petrol on the belt but got a small amount on the exhaust pulley which seems to be where most the noise is coming from. Can you effectively 'clean' the pulleys so they create a noise or is this a totally different noise?? Iv attached a link to the video.

Thanks guys

Sick Brick
    Thanks
    I have this problem as well, except on a diesel engine. Similar circumstances, i.e. just done the timing belts etc.

Can't figure out what it is...
    Silver - 1999 Volvo V70 - 2.5 TDi - Miles: 200,000
    Scrapped: Silver - 1998 Volvo V70 - 2.5 TDi - Miles: 300,000+

it...
    Thanks
    Interesting, if you also used genuine Volvo bits then that kind of puts my mind at ease a little! Maybe the belts need to stretch and wear to the groves of the sprockets a bit in the early stages. Mine has only done 80 miles in a few runs so far. Let me know if you ever figure yours out!!

Sick Brick
    Thanks
    I used a Gates Belt kit.

I also had a bit of an oil leak from the side of the rocker cover gasket, but it seems unlikely that this would cause a whirring noise?
    Silver - 1999 Volvo V70 - 2.5 TDi - Miles: 200,000
    Scrapped: Silver - 1998 Volvo V70 - 2.5 TDi - Miles: 300,000+

it...
    Thanks
    Hmm no I wouldn't imagine it would, if you have a few miles on its probably just deteriorated a bit and started weeping or maybe a camshaft seal going? I'm going to change my tensioner damper tomorrow for a new genuine Volvo and see if that changes the noise. Old one may not be putting quite the right tension on the belt etc

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Very similar to mine, which is a 2001 V70 T5. Mine started a few years ago when the engine was hot (noticed the noise when crawling in a summer traffic jam). Over the years it got a bit worse and is now there hot or cold. It's not so pronounced as in your vid though.

I just had the belt, tensioner and pump done and the noise is still there. I've tested with the aux belt off too. My mechanic said it's not something he would be concerned by, but I would like to identify it. I also found a vid on Youtube of an S80 with the same noise and someone commented that theirs had always made that same sound.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

it...
    Thanks
    Thanks for your reply, you don't have the link to that vid do you by any chance would be nice to hear it
    It's an odd sound isn't it, doesn't sound 'mechanical' if you were like a knock or clunk but sounds out of place. My engine is rebuilt including all seal. I haven't however done the camshafts or valves or oil pump but it definitely sounds like it from the head/top. Maybe depending how the cam gears wear depends on the noise created? Will let you know if changing the tensioner makes any difference

This user has no status
    Thanks
    S80 video
    His is slightly different and seems to be two problems, one of which is PCV related. I'll get a video of mine soon. Sounds like it comes from the top and back, around the exhaust cam pulley. Mine also makes a very slight tinny rattle when you nlip the throttle from stone cold, which sounds like a knackered bearing. Quickly disappears within 30 seconds.
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

it...
    Thanks
    So I changed my tensioner and re adjusted the belt position a bit and it seems to have helped but not fully resolved the noise. Only things I did that I figure may have helped are
    1. New Volvo tensioner. Maybe tension wasn't quite right
    2. Moving the timing belts position on the rollers. I wonder if it was a bit close to the inner flange on the water pump and was rubbing a bit causing the noise to sound like it's coming from the back of the head
    3. I put a little oil on the tensioner roller bearing even though it was new
    4. Maybe the belt is becoming less stiff as I do a few more miles

Probably isn't anything to do with any of these but Il update if I find anything else that helps!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigsi15 For This Useful Post:

petrolh34d (Thursday 28th April 2016)

it...
    Thanks
    Gold n brown that vid almost sounds like mine did but also sounds quite like the belt is too tight?? Heard a few on YouTube before that sounded a bit like that

Thread Information