Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SpongeBob Foamypants
    Back in a V70 and happy!!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 1,272 Posts

Which power steering fluid for my C70 T5?

I need to replace quite a lot of fluid, so I'm thinking of doing a complete change. The current fluid is red, but is that the correct stuff for a year 2000 C70 T5? Looking around the web and there is such conflicting info.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    You need Pentosin CHF 11S. It's green synthetic oil.

You can also get it from S C Motor factors, made by Comma. The Comma stuff is MVCHF. It's £9.59 a litre....I know, cos I bought 3 litres today!

Euros don't do it.

The old fluid Volvo used to use was CHF202 but it's now superseded by CHF11S.

here...http://www.autosessive.com/res/image...rmal/CHF1L.jpg
    Last edited by LeeT5; Thursday 26th February 2015 at 20:04.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

foammanmark (Thursday 26th February 2015),merc85 (Saturday 28th February 2015)

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Thanks for the above. So what affect could the red stuff have had on my car if it wasn't the right one for the car please? I've always thought that there was excessive 'groaning' when applying a fair bit of lock.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foammanmark View Post
    Thanks for the above. So what affect could the red stuff have had on my car if it wasn't the right one for the car please? I've always thought that there was excessive 'groaning' when applying a fair bit of lock.
    It will destroy your seals over time. it will also cause the steering to not perform as well as it should.

Mines getting flushed tomorrow with 3 litres of CHF11S. That will make sure it's all clean and fully replenished. I'll be sucking out the first 500ml and replacing the Reservoir and lid too.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Halfords £9.99/litre for the Comma stuff, so I will get 2-3 of those sorted.

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Right, I have to admit to being lazy in that I'm topping up with the red stuff which is already in there. Had the car for 3 years and she came with red stuff in, so I'll see how I go on with that. Hoping to have her back on the road tomorrow after fitting the replacement alternator today.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    whoops only saw the Red bit lol, If thats what comma is saying then Yes CHF11s is green
    Last edited by merc85; Saturday 28th February 2015 at 23:01.

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    whoops only saw the Red bit lol, If thats what comma is saying then Yes CHF11s is green
    I got a litre of Comma ATF, and will see how she goes on with that. Thanks for your help with the quotes and that Gav, but with 165k on the clock I bought a used alternator at £45.00.

Trader
    ???
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,863 Times in 2,155 Posts
    I got a litre of Comma ATF, and will see how she goes on with that. Thanks for your help with the quotes and that Gav, but with 165k on the clock I bought a used alternator at £45.00.
    honestly no probs buddy, always do my best

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by merc85 View Post
    honestly no probs buddy, always do my best
    Appreciate that Gav, and if the car had done 120k or less, then I would have had a new one off you without hesitation.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Why did you get that? I told you the correct fluid to use was CHF11S which is green, not Automatic Transmission Fluid! You said you were going to get the Comma MVCHF from Halfords, not ATF fluid. Thought you were doing a fluid flush not topping it up with the wrong oil?

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Why did you get that? I told you the correct fluid to use was CHF11S which is green, not Automatic Transmission Fluid! You said you were going to get the Comma MVCHF from Halfords, not ATF fluid. Thought you were doing a fluid flush not topping it up with the wrong oil?
    Simply that she already has the red stuff in her, and it has worked for the 3 years that I've had the car.

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Seriously Lee, if the red stuff is the incorrect fluid , then I will change it. I also just wanted the car back on the road as it was really annoying me that she was off the road. 3 litres for a full flush and top-up should be enough please?

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    3 litres will be easily enough.

SpongeBob Foamypants
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    3 litres will be easily enough.
    Job for next weekend, and a job worth doing by the looks of it.............

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Job for next weekend, and a job worth doing by the looks of it.............
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...s-V70R-Project

How to from #174

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi all,

Amongst many things which, as they do all seem to come along at once, weeks away from payday it would appear that my power steering fluid has decided to deposit itself on my drive. The reservoir is almost empty and to get it to the garage I went to my local motor factors to get some more to top it up.

When I gave him my reg (1999 V70 2.4 petrol auto) he suggested a particular brand, which I forgotten, but the main thing is the colour was green as opposed to the almost clear fluid that is left in the reservoir.

He said he had never come across clear PAS fluid. I haven't changed the fluid in the four years I have had the car so don't know what was put in it.

As anyone any ideas?

Regards to all

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pliskin View Post
    Hi all,

Amongst many things which, as they do all seem to come along at once, weeks away from payday it would appear that my power steering fluid has decided to deposit itself on my drive. The reservoir is almost empty and to get it to the garage I went to my local motor factors to get some more to top it up.

When I gave him my reg (1999 V70 2.4 petrol auto) he suggested a particular brand, which I forgotten, but the main thing is the colour was green as opposed to the almost clear fluid that is left in the reservoir.

He said he had never come across clear PAS fluid. I haven't changed the fluid in the four years I have had the car so don't know what was put in it.

As anyone any ideas?

Regards to all
    No such thing as clear PS fluid mate.

My guess is, whatever's in it clearly (pardon the pun) isn't correct.
    Find the cause of the leak, fix it and refill with OE fluid or Comma MVCHF, which is what I used.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Volvo fluid is green btw
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I've known people use brake fluid which is generally clear!! Won't do the steering much good and if it is brake fluid make sure it doesn't get on the paintwork for obvious reasons. Cheers Andy

Thread Information