Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

I want to improve the road manners of my 850! What is best?

Hi I need to improve the road manners of the car. Suspension needs a change and was thinking of changing bushes too. For suspension I was thinking coilovers as I can adjust the height but bushes poly or std?

Thanks
    Strut brace is a must and if suspension is wooly, replace with GENUINE PARTS - aftermarket parts are sooooooooooooo rubbish. I have had poly bushes in my 1996 T5 and they were good for a while but ended up putting GENUINE standard bottom arms back in and soooooooooo much better. Wider, lower profile tyres also help - I have 17" Amalthea wheels on my T5 and it handles much better than with the standard 16" T5 alloys.
    There's only one Wally Dog....

Forced aspirations
    Thanks
    I seem to remember someone raving about an uprated front anti roll bar transforming handling. Quite pricey though and a pain to fit (subframe must be lowered).

C

Quote Originally Posted by Storm1n View Post
    Hi I need to improve the road manners of the car. Suspension needs a change and was thinking of changing bushes too. For suspension I was thinking coilovers as I can adjust the height but bushes poly or std?

Appreciative
    Thanks
    The Volvo OEM front strut brace does truly make a good difference to the 850, not expensive either, around £60.

No replacement for
    displacement!
    Thanks
    At 20 years old and I'm guessing 150000+ miles a good stage 0, a set of standard Sachs/Boge/Bilstein/Koni shocks and Eibach springs combined with new top mounts would transform her.

A rear IPD anti roll bar would make a big difference.

Avoid the cheap and nasty coilover kits if you want to improve the ride quality and handling.

Bushes - Poly will feel the same as new standard to start with. Depends how long you are keeping her for.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    If you check here on my website you will find the UK made suspension kit that I offer made to order within 3 to 4 weeks.

http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-...70-suspension/

The dampers are fully rebuildable and you would not need to consider uprated rear ARB once you have it properly adjusted according to our recommendations.

Don.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    MTE performance software, Ferrita stainless exhausts, TME stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

Appreciative
    Thanks
    I have just acquired some 7k miler Koni Yellow Adjustable with Eibach springs from a very helpful member on here, hoping to replace my 139k original ones in a few weeks, normal road use with the occasional hoon - Will try to report back as may help when mentioned above as an option

Gearbox Killer
    Proving the power of the
    15g....13.4@104.3mph
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,673 Times in 1,797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kmb View Post
    I have just acquired some 7k miler Koni Yellow Adjustable with Eibach springs from a very helpful member on here, hoping to replace my 139k original ones in a few weeks, normal road use with the occasional hoon - Will try to report back as may help when mentioned above as an option
    just as a thought, but new front subframe bushes or inserts to liven up your old ones, someone on here used to do them, seemed to make a noticeable difference to an aging 850.

Current Volvo's 1995 854 Gul T-5R 1996 855 Olive T-5R 1997 855 Olive AWD 1999 V70R AWD and 2005 XC90 D5 AWD
    Previous Volvo's 1987 745 gle 1989 745 GL 1995 855 Olive GLE 2001 V70 p2
    My Ebay Items http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/quik.connection

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MoleT-5R For This Useful Post:

kmb (Friday 8th April 2016)

this member hass no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MoleT-5R View Post
    just as a thought, but new front subframe bushes or inserts to liven up your old ones, someone on here used to do them, seemed to make a noticeable difference to an aging 850.
    It was Sponge.

http://forums.t5d5.org/topic/22024-s...-poly-inserts/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to thunderace For This Useful Post:

MoleT-5R (Monday 11th April 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Please caveat everything I say with the idea that it is simply personal experience.

A pal and I have fettled a few V70 and 850 in recent years. Things that work well are:

Bilstein B4 and Eibach progressive springs

Poly subframe inserts (pushed in with plate and a jack and lots of grease)

Strut brace

Replace rear delta links

Decent tyres

302mm brakes with Ferodo DS2500 and braided lines well bled

replace any worn bushes and links with decent volvo or aftermarket bits (meyle HD drop links for example)

All of this has worked on cars we own.

However, garner as much opinion as you can and try to get rides in cars of different setups to see what you like most.

Best,

F

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Foeux For This Useful Post:

kmb (Tuesday 12th April 2016),kyboy (Thursday 14th April 2016),martin_r_smith (Tuesday 12th April 2016)

Thread Information