Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

Beachcomber's 940 Estate project

Just tried to post up - but it vanished into the ether.

Rather than waste another 30 minutes of my life - I'll try this small post to see if it works this time.

Car is a 1991 940 SE Turbo / Auto in superbly maintained condition.

Currently off for MOT [ tailpipe / back box ] before the fun begins in a week or so.

As bought

My new turbo

Proposed wheels

2. The Following User Says Thank You to beachcomber For This Useful Post:

kmb (Thursday 24th March 2016)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    thanks for the pictures - What turbo is that?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kmb View Post
    thanks for the pictures - What turbo is that?
    E-Bay special !!!! £125.00 "buy it now". Well made - I'm guessing Chinese.

So here’s my 940 SE Turbo / auto Estate project.

It’s based on a 1991 model that has had absolute fortunes spent by the PO – including new Turbo, cylinder head, radiator, power Steering rack and pump, brakes, hoses – you get the picture. All within the last 18K miles.

Due to an ongoing health issue this will undoubtedly be my last project / plaything – I’ve had to sell off all my motorcycle [ x 3 ] and Hot Rod projects since receiving the diagnosis.

After a life of designing, manufacturing and marketing my own range of Porsche, Jag and Cobra replicas [ and still do design consultancy ] – tinkering is firmly in my blood, and to have NO project to work with [ no matter how small ] is to lose interest in life.

So, the 940 will be it. Initially mods will be cosmetically based – lowering, Jag 5 spoke wheels [ 7.5” x 16” ], relevant spacers, roof spoiler, etc.

I’ve ordered 40mm and 50mm thick alloy billet blanks for the spacers and the 25mm longer wheel studs arrived today.

The car’s due back from MOT work next week [ tailpipe and back box ] so I’ll make a proper start then.

Originally [ pre- diagnosis ] plans were for a Supercharged V6 [ Volvo ] or supercharged Lexus V8. Due to the long term nature of such a conversion – those plans had to be shelved, and after a good talking to by the Turbo freaks on another Volvo forum, I’ve decided to go down that route. Good V6 + trans’ [ manual and auto ] anyone ?

Speed / ultimate performance isn’t the goal here – been there, done that and got several Tee shirts, just a mild engineering challenge.

I’ve been given a new T3 Turbo by a pal, who no longer needs it and a suitable T3 manifold from another. A 2.3 Turbo lump came up at silly cheap money – so that was snagged for the build. Just need to get my head around the alien subject of turbos and associated squitter and collect the rest of the parts I need.

Funds are tight – OAP pension doesn’t stretch far ! That’s supplemented by various E-Bay sales of 50 odd years of collecting and now, redundant parts.

Progress will be relatively slow, but the plan is to use this as a daily driver / project and to sell my V70 as soon as practical.

Although the paint and body are again in remarkably good condition [ NO rust ] – I can’t stand yet ANOTHER Silver car – so a colour change will be considered down the line.

BTW – I need an o/s rear light lens that doesn’t involve remortgaging the house and I could do with a set of bolt on [ ? ] roof rails.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beachcomber For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Thursday 24th March 2016),jamesy12345 (Thursday 24th March 2016)

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    You going to convert it to a manual too? Or leave as an auto?
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
    You going to convert it to a manual too? Or leave as an auto?
    No Dave - been a lifelong auto freak ! Even my Drag Race cars were auto. I have a tame auto man I've used for 40 years who will do the neccessaries to my spare ZF box down the line. Like I said - ultimate performance is NOt the issue here.

Some of my automatic toys ...........................

8. The Following User Says Thank You to beachcomber For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Friday 25th March 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    ooops - should this be over in projects ???

VPCUK Car of the Year 2013
    Jim
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,282 Times in 3,549 Posts
    Dave will move it for you he's good like that and has naff all else to do

T35, 556Nm/410lbft & 361BHP/317WHP

New Identity
    Back in an AWD....Oh the grip!
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,582 Times in 2,051 Posts
    Some nice toys there

Moved to projects for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamest5r View Post
    Dave will move it for you he's good like that and has naff all else to do
    LOL, ta. Haven't you buggered off to oz yet
    Last edited by Dangerous Dave; Thursday 24th March 2016 at 16:38.
    1996 Olive Green 850 AWD - Follow the Project - Forged rods, 19T, big blue injectors, 960 TB, 3.25" MAF, Ostrich, 608 binary, arduino data display, active exhaust control with Focus RS tips, 320mm front brake conversion.
    1996 Nautic Blue 850 AWD - Failed its MOT, now it's a donor for the green thing.
    2004 Sapphire Black S60 D5 - The new daily hack.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dangerous Dave For This Useful Post:

Jamest5r (Thursday 24th March 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    In the USA they all use autos on the 940 and do a accumulate mod to help pick up and kick down .go on tbricks and put in accumulater mod and that gives you all details on how to do it .i would use the 940 manifold because it flows a lot better than the old t3 manifolds .all you have to do is mill the mating surface flat

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by smithy View Post
    In the USA they all use autos on the 940 and do a accumulate mod to help pick up and kick down .go on tbricks and put in accumulater mod and that gives you all details on how to do it .i would use the 940 manifold because it flows a lot better than the old t3 manifolds .all you have to do is mill the mating surface flat
    Thanx for the headsup - I'm new to Volvo 4 bangers and Turbos !

The guy who is helping me out with these specific mods knows his way around these items.

I'll check out the Auto box mods, but my auto doctor will no doubt have just the fixes I need.

Thanx again.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
    Thanx for the headsup - I'm new to Volvo 4 bangers and Turbos !

The guy who is helping me out with these specific mods knows his way around these items.

I'll check out the Auto box mods, but my auto doctor will no doubt have just the fixes I need.

Thanx again.
    I haven't got much knowledge regarding volvos it's just what I have read that's all .you are also local to me too .im in Birmingham

This user has no status

Thanks
    Smithy,

I've noticed there's quite a "nest" of modified bricks / projects in the Midlands and around the Birmingham area.

Have to arrange an informal meet when everyone's on the road !

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by beachcomber View Post
    Smithy,

I've noticed there's quite a "nest" of modified bricks / projects in the Midlands and around the Birmingham area.

Have to arrange an informal meet when everyone's on the road !
    Yes the does seem to be a few around with reading here and voc

This user has no status

Thanks
    Would that be "Brummie Bricks" then !!!!!!!!!!!

DD - thanx for moving the thread - I guessed I was in the wrong spot !

Yes, I've been blessed with building / owning many off the wall cars - Race and Road.

My "day job" for the past 40 years [ retired in 2003 ] has been involved with designing / manufacturing Cobras, Jags, Porsches [ replicas ] and having a hand in many others.

Naturally, I was forced to drive these around !!!!

I still carry out consultancy work for my pal at Realm Engineering Ltd.[ C Type and D Type Jags ] and a German pal who builds Cobras and Gullwing Mercs and Roadsters.
    Last edited by beachcomber; Friday 25th March 2016 at 19:47.

This user has no status

Thanks
    To my surprise [ being Easter Saturday and all ] my new back box and tailpipe arrived today, so I'll be able to drop them off to the workshop on Tuesday so my pal can get on with the MOT.

£38 delivered - not too bad eh ?

BTW - anyone know of relevant referrence / history books covering the 940 ?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Exhaust now dropped off to workshop and I also collected the billet alloy blanks for the wheel spacers. In the end I played safe [ ? ] and ordered an extra set in 50mm as I haven't got the car to hand to make final checks on clearance. Looks like the fronts will require 48mm for my Jag wheels.

I've actually got 43mm and 53mm thick so that a "Hubcentric" flange can be added.

However as stated previously - that does open the door for a whole variety of possible OEM 5 on 108mm wheels down the line - still fancy the Alfa Teledials !.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to beachcomber For This Useful Post:

Dangerous Dave (Tuesday 29th March 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Oh futtox ................. what's that about trusting information that hasn't been verified personally ?

I dug out one of my spare Jag 5 spokes today to offer up the billet blanks and double check preliminary measurements. I was given information that the Jag wheels had a 6" backspacing = 48mm spacer [ front ]. I based the data for the blanks based on that as I didn't have the wheels to hand at the time. After I dropped the blank in place - it was obvious that the backspace was NOT 6" - nearer 7" [ 6 3/4" ] ..................... oh dear me.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

This user has no status

Thanks
    I've just spent the last hour or so going through the various what will / will not fit threads.

I've now come away with a serious headache due to information overload and contradictions.

Here's where I am and the info I want.

I have 7.5" x 16" Jag 5 spoke wheels [ 5 on 108mm ] with brand new premium tyres. They are surplus from another project and owe me nothing - ergo I want to use them.

Let's forget inset, offset, underset and any other bloody set - my wheels have 172mm back spacing - the ONLY masurement I'm really interested in - as that will determine [ with relevant spacers ] what will fit and still clear the strut etc.

As peeps have fitted 8" and even 9" wheels - my 7.5" wheels MUST fit under the wheel arch lip.

What I ideally need is the measurement from the hub face to the nearest point of obstruction [ strut ? ].:nod:

Why don't I just measure it myself ? Simples - the car is away for a couple of weeks awaiting MOT and I have no access to it. However, I would very much like to get the spacers underway. I have purchased billet blanks and aftermarket wheel studs [ +25mm ] and I've found a guy that will machine them for less than the National debt required here in the UK to buy off the shelf spacers [ if they even exist in the size I need ].

So ............... if ayone has the time I would very much appreciate that dimension - hub mounting face to nearest obstruction.

Incidentally there's a whole bunch of good looking OEM 5 on 108mm wheels out there from European manufacturers. - and cheap !

This user has no status

Thanks
    Some progress anyway.

I collected the 2.3 Turbo engine Thursday. looks really clean and apparantly was "running well [ no noises ] but losing a bit of water". Well, it's being stripped as a donor lump to set up the new Turbo and other mods so we'll see what damage has been done - if any. The plan is to build up a complete unit with my ZF gearbox all ready to drop in - then a quick swap over, it says here in the script !

I have some info courtesy of another forum re: the backspace of various Volvo rims, and I'm now certain my 7.5" x 16" Jag wheels can be persuaded to fit.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Well that's the longest "two weeks" ever ! Due to my pal's overload of real paying work [ !! ] and a mutaual arrangement, we decided to leave the MOT until the end of the month [ April ] so I could tax / insure it from the 1st May.

The car sailed through the MOT - the back box we knew about + 2 wipers - not bad for a 26 year old car. The MOT guy said it was one of the best cars of that age he'd ever seen [ underneath / mechs etc ].

In the interim I unloaded the 2.3 lump out of the back of the V70 [ eventually ] and bought a set of -40mm Kilen springs and Bilsteins [ new and unused ] from a member of another Volvo forum. I'm pretty certain I need 50mm and 70mm spacers to fit my Jag wheels, but I'll take an accurate measurement once the car is back - don't want to get them wrong !

Looking forward to some real hands on work - even if it is only cosmetic to begin with.

Thread Information