Join Today
    Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks

Front disc question

I went to replace my front discs the other day, ordered ' the correct ones' using my reg number from Euro car parts. Drove home and took off the wheels, but when I held the disc up to the one on the car the new one is an inch SMALLER in diameter than the fitted ones?

I did a trial fit and although it fitted, the pads were obviously hanging off the edge! As I drive the car hard ( constant motorway) - I wasnt happy so took it back off!!

The car is a 2001 V70 T5 SE - WHY would it have larger discs and can anyone point me to where they might have these - they look original Volvo though?

Name:  v70.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  771.1 KB

thanks
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

2004 - V70 D5 -'Black Bess' - The new addition
    2002 - C70 T5 'Ragetty Anne' - awaiting rebuild long term storage

Yes I will be behind you but
    thats for the benefit of your
    health.
    Thanks
    you have bought 280mm discs but your car is fitted with 302mm discs. You need to go back and buy the right size.
    854 T5 - The new project.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to martin_r_smith For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Saturday 19th March 2016)

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    It's a 15 year old car, you should not assume that things like brakes and suspension are still standard on the car, I would never dream of using the reg plate to order parts like that on a car of that age.
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

5. The Following User Says Thank You to claymore For This Useful Post:

Swollen Member
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,408 Times in 1,497 Posts
    Does sound like they've supplied 286mm instead of 305mm discs....
    Last edited by stephenevans99; Friday 18th March 2016 at 18:26.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stephenevans99 For This Useful Post:

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    The average motor factor will list 2 types of disk, they'll then (usually) give the customer the cheaper option. You have 305mm disks (302 is from the P1 and won't fit) on your car.
    Nothing to worry about however, now you've used the disks, you won't be able to return them for the correct size
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

martin_r_smith (Friday 18th March 2016),Tee5alive (Saturday 19th March 2016)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    The average motor factor will list 2 types of disk, they'll then (usually) give the customer the cheaper option. You have 305mm disks (302 is from the P1 and won't fit) on your car.
    Nothing to worry about however, now you've used the disks, you won't be able to return them for the correct size
    I put them on very carefully without a single mark and they took them back happily! Thanks for the advice peeps off to get 305mm ones!
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

2004 - V70 D5 -'Black Bess' - The new addition
    2002 - C70 T5 'Ragetty Anne' - awaiting rebuild long term storage

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Yeah Euro list their brakes by "wheel size".

So, if you order brakes, tell them you've got 17" wheels (fine if you have original wheels when they look up your VIN) and you get the right discs.

Totally idiotic way of selling brake discs.

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mart5in View Post
    Yeah Euro list their brakes by "wheel size".

So, if you order brakes, tell them you've got 17" wheels (fine if you have original wheels when they look up your VIN) and you get the right discs.

Totally idiotic way of selling brake discs.
    I have 18s on my S70.
    I'll tell them next time, that way I'll get much bigger brakes

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Tee5alive View Post
    I went to replace my front discs the other day, ordered ' the correct ones' using my reg number from Euro car parts. Drove home and took off the wheels, but when I held the disc up to the one on the car the new one is an inch SMALLER in diameter than the fitted ones?

I did a trial fit and although it fitted, the pads were obviously hanging off the edge! As I drive the car hard ( constant motorway) - I wasnt happy so took it back off!!

The car is a 2001 V70 T5 SE - WHY would it have larger discs and can anyone point me to where they might have these - they look original Volvo though?
    You should be very careful making comments like that, as that is the sort of thing JamesT5 would have done and look where it got him!

I'm utterly shocked that despite the fact they clearly didn't fit (as you stated, the pads were hanging off the edge) Yet, despite that, you chose to crack on and bolt on the wheels and go for a test drive!!!! Are you ****ing crazy or what??? If anything had happened and your brakes failed (which they could have) you could have killed somebody. Jesus wept man.....what were you thinking??

Come on guys, this is basic stuff! If brake parts don't fit then DON'T FIT THEM!!!!

You should not have even done a trial fit as you had already realised they were the incorrect size. FFS ladies, were talking about brakes here...not windscreen wipers!!! If you fit the wrong wiper blades, what's the worse that can happen?

Tee5alive, I'm sure you're a really nice guy and please don't take my comments personally, but you did a really stupid thing there and I'm only glad that nothing happened.

On a side note; Good result getting them to take the discs back too, as Martin says, as most wouldn't!
    Last edited by LeeT5; Sunday 20th March 2016 at 02:53.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    I have 18s on my S70.
    I'll tell them next time, that way I'll get much bigger brakes
    Exactly my point I made at the desk.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Mart5in For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Sunday 20th March 2016)

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    To be fair fella - he doesn't say he drove the car - you'd have to be a bit special for that! He just says he mocked them up, wasn't happy & asked us all why. No harm.done & a lesson learned.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Shinsplintz 101 For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Sunday 20th March 2016)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
    To be fair fella - he doesn't say he drove the car - you'd have to be a bit special for that! He just says he mocked them up, wasn't happy & asked us all why. No harm.done & a lesson learned.
    Lol, your right, he doesn't. I stand corrected. It looked like he said I drove the car hard and wasn't happy.....I obviously read that wrong.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

19. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Shinsplintz 101 (Sunday 20th March 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Lol, your right, he doesn't. I stand corrected. It looked like he said I drove the car hard and wasn't happy.....I obviously read that wrong.
    2nd one you've read wrong in the last few days. Been having sleepless nights?
    2001 V70 T5 (Manual) - The Turnip
    1999 9-5 Aero (Manual) - Sven

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gold 'N' Brown View Post
    2nd one you've read wrong in the last few days. Been having sleepless nights?
    Ha Ha, it was 0242hrs. (That butt kick hurt....Tee hee).

Thread Information