Join Today
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The new motor!

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Williams View Post
    I bet you're never going to sell your white estate?
    which one ?

This user has no status

Thanks
    What a lovely motor, lucky guy (-;

My friend and I were just discussing a replacement for his Range on Friday and it became a coin flip between the E63 estate and a V10 RS6 estate,will be interesting to hear your ownership thoughts over the next couple of months so I can give him some decent input!

I did a track day in a non-turbo at Merc World a few years back and I was completely sold on that soundtrack.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Soulboy For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Sunday 13th March 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    what a great choice of car, even better when you are looking at a 200 mph speedo just to remind you when you press the loud pedal.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 850 T5s For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Sunday 13th March 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,058 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulboy View Post
    What a lovely motor, lucky guy (-;

My friend and I were just discussing a replacement for his Range on Friday and it became a coin flip between the E63 estate and a V10 RS6 estate,will be interesting to hear your ownership thoughts over the next couple of months so I can give him some decent input!

I did a track day in a non-turbo at Merc World a few years back and I was completely sold on that soundtrack.
    V10 RS6 was my other main option. I had a look at a few. To be fair didn't drive one, but just didn't have the same appeal. Looked too dull. And if you look up reviews or test drives, apart from being insanely fast off the line, they're not the best at anything else, far from involving to drive, understeery and a bit bland. But if going Nissan GTR fast in a straight line is all your after, then they're the kiddy!. The first one I looked at was a black avant, and it was parked next to a black A6 avant tdi, they just looked the bloody same! The wider arches don't really add much, and if your gonna spend a shed load of money on a motor, it's got to look the part imo! On the other hand I did go and look at this (before the Merc I bought). Oh my lord it looked special! Me and my pal had a stupid grin on our faces the whole time. The mileage was a mild concern, but the condition was A1, 2 owners (despite the guy saying it was 1 owner), we were working out a deal trading in my M3. We just came to a deal, and I was going to buy it, and then he said I couldn't drive it until I agreed to buy it! So we had a 5 minute argument, I called him a ££££ing £££££ and left! Tosser! Glad I didn't end up with it, the Merc is the absolute ££££££££.

One thing I'll say is, as much money as all these cars are, noone wants to do a deal?!!! Every week you see the same cars getting reduced and reduced further, but none of these traders will do a deal! I refuse to believe that they can't move a couple of grand on a £30k odd car? But most of them won't! And then if you've got a trade in, you're utterly screwed. They won't knock anything off the screen price, and they will only pay CAP value for your trade in, or £500 over at a push. One guy had an E63 on his forecourt for over a year, OVER A YEAR!!!! And he wouldn't budge on price?!!!
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by S70T5Chris View Post
    Yeah they are, when you consider what they cost new. I just hope it never goes wrong!
    I've looked at a few replacements and just kept with the R, but totally get the appeal for the mercs!, I looked at jag Rs, vxr8 (viewed a couple of these) and m5's v10 terrible reliability on the box especially, Audi s6 with the v10 are cheap and fast, but a ml63 would be lush!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I considered an m5, but only the 4.4 turbo really. The v10 is possibly one of the best engines ever made, but like you say the gearbox is toss, and the car itself is a bit dated now. The 4.4 is a hell of a machine, but just looks like a 520d!
    Factory White 855R : 2.5 Bottom End : Ported & Flowed Cylinder Head : TD04 19T Turbo
    VXR Injectors : ME7 Manifold : TWR Throttle Body : Blackbeast IC : AEM Progressive WI : Ferrita 3" Downpipe
    Milltek Cat-Back : BC BR Coilovers : IPD ARB : AP Racing Brakes : M56 & Gripper LSD

9. The Following User Says Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Ettienne (Sunday 13th March 2016)

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    I saw this on autotrader, if someone is after cheap v8 Merc fun, engine must be worth that price
    Attached Images Attached Images  

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    I'm ever so slightly jealous! Nice looking motor!
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

This user has no status

Thanks
    One thing I'll say is, as much money as all these cars are, noone wants to do a deal?!!! Every week you see the same cars getting reduced and reduced further, but none of these traders will do a deal! I refuse to believe that they can't move a couple of grand on a £30k odd car? But most of them won't! And then if you've got a trade in, you're utterly screwed. They won't knock anything off the screen price, and they will only pay CAP value for your trade in, or £500 over at a push. One guy had an E63 on his forecourt for over a year, OVER A YEAR!!!! And he wouldn't budge on price?!!!
    Interesting you should say that,'cos I remember when traders loved to have a deal and a swap around of forecourt stock,but all that seems to have changed over the last few years and they all seem bloody hard work regardless of what price level your at!

But expecting you to buy a motor like that without a test drive lmao,he can **** right off,and let's hope he gets stuck with it-although unlikely for what must be a bit of a monster.

M5 V10 was also briefly in our conversation but it isn't just the box but the vanos that's trouble afaik,and at £3500 a side that's a big repair to look forward to on a 12k car

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    I saw this on autotrader, if someone is after cheap v8 Merc fun, engine must be worth that price
    Ooh... Near me, that!

May have to go and take a look.

On the other hand, does the fact that it has a V8 make up for the fact that I would instantly have a vagina driving a Merc ML?

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

Ettienne (Monday 14th March 2016),jamesy12345 (Monday 14th March 2016),Orca2 (Monday 14th March 2016)

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 870 Posts
    Sounds like fun , the having a vagina bit. I have them as often as I can manage.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orca2 For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Monday 14th March 2016),kmb (Tuesday 12th April 2016)

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Quite partial to them myself.

Not so sure I'd find my own quite so tasty though.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Monday 14th March 2016),Orca2 (Monday 14th March 2016)

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 870 Posts
    There goes a mental image we could all have done without . You sir are the deviant's deviant
    Keep up the good work.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orca2 For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Monday 14th March 2016),jamesy12345 (Monday 14th March 2016)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    Quite partial to them myself.

Not so sure I'd find my own quite so tasty though.
    That is going to require an intensive yoga course, followed by a lucrative & exciting career in the circus. Well worth the 2k investment IMHO, Ron Jeremy would be proud

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Monday 14th March 2016),kmb (Tuesday 12th April 2016),Orca2 (Monday 14th March 2016)

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Sorry Chris.

As you were

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Monday 14th March 2016)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    Sorry Chris.

As you were
    I bet a video with some nice sounds would steer us back on topic

26. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Monday 14th March 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Well, i've had it a month or so now, and I am as happy with it as the day I bought it, maybe even more so!

The noise from the thing is like the gift that never stops giving! I still find myself giving it a little blip before switching off, and I still have a stupid grin on my face every time I do it! It's just so angry!

Fast. It's fast. By Mo's calculating it's around 5 second's 60-100, and sub 9 60-120. It's around super car territory for out and out pace, and it just doesn't let up, the rate in which the needle just keep going is relentless, and it does it without any stress, it's just completely effortless.

To me, surprisingly, it feels quite sporty. Considering it's 1800kgs odd, it feels like a much lighter car. It feels lighter and way more nimble than the S60 did and that is a good couple hundred kg's less. The suspension is sublime, whilst the ride won't be as spongy as a regular E Class I'm sure, it is surprisingly smooth and comfortable and take speed bumps with no issues or back breaking crashes, easily as nice a ride as my old man's XFR, which I found to be one of the most impressive things about the Jag. Turn up the stiffness and its glorious on a rag through the forest. Yeah, it's no 911, but for what it is, it's very capable. The suspension adjustments are far more noticeable than the 4C in the S60.

One concern I had, coming from the M3 which could have a very twitchy arse when it wanted, and driving the XFR a fair bit which is also very tail happy, it's incredibly planted. The traction was always cutting in on the M3, pulling out of junctions, even on straight line pulls on occasion. You have to be quite careful in the Jag, if you put your foot down to change lanes to overtake, the arse can catch you out, saved by the TC obviously but still can be a bit hairy if your not ready for it! The AMG doesn't seem to suffer with these issues to anywhere near the same degree. Regular day to day driving, I have probably only seen the traction cut in a couple of times. It's hooks up surprisingly well in a straight line, I guess having the diff helps that a lot. I feel much more confident in the Merc than I did in the M3 or the XFR.

The flappy paddle thing... I don't think that's for me. Unless the gearbox in the mine is a bad example, it's not instant enough for my liking and it still has a mind of it own when it wants to. The gear changes in the XFR on flappy paddles are definitely quicker. The facelift cars have a different 8 speed gearbox I think, maybe that's better. Even if it was instant changes, I don't think id use it. I am loving the auto, must be getting old!

Stupid to talk about fuel consumption on such a car, but believe it or not it's no worse than the 850 or S60 was really. For such a big engine and heavy car to drag around it's perfectly acceptable.

I'm not modding it; well that went out the window. Nothing major but I ordered a new front grill, I hugely dislike the badgless front grill that is on it, so have one of these to go on when I get chance:

I've also been trawling the internet for splitters and diffusers for the last couple of weeks (I can't help myself!), and until yesterday only never came up with anything that really floats my boat. Then Mo got involved and found a company called RevoZport. LINK Well, i'm sold! Love the splitter, diffuser and roof spoiler. Pricey, but looks the dogs danglies. They have a UK distributer, so I'll give them a buzz this week and get the low down!

Oddly, the car doesn't have a reverse camera either. But I've found a company that retrofit pretty much all the factory gadgets and gizmos all using OEM parts, so I'll probably bell them up and get that done at some stage too,

28. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to S70T5Chris For This Useful Post:

Doingitsideways (Sunday 10th April 2016),Jamest5r (Tuesday 12th April 2016),LeeT5 (Tuesday 12th April 2016),Nealevo (Sunday 10th April 2016),smithy (Monday 11th April 2016),The Flying Moose (Tuesday 12th April 2016),Yosser (Sunday 10th April 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    WOOF! This thing is a monster. If you are collecting white performance estates you will need an RS6, RS4, E63, XFR, M5 (manual converted or an LHD american one).... You know the pattern, fast, white, long, add it to the collection.

Could the good road manners and lack of spinning and scaring be due to swishy or particularly wide tyres? Has it new or high performance rubber as that could be the one large contributor to the characteristics you are seeing.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Foeux For This Useful Post:

S70T5Chris (Tuesday 12th April 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Foeux View Post
    WOOF! This thing is a monster. If you are collecting white performance estates you will need an RS6, RS4, E63, XFR, M5 (manual converted or an LHD american one).... You know the pattern, fast, white, long, add it to the collection.

Could the good road manners and lack of spinning and scaring be due to swishy or particularly wide tyres? Has it new or high performance rubber as that could be the one large contributor to the characteristics you are seeing.
    It's on Pirelli PZero's, and in fairness the rears are way past they're best, only 3mm tread left tops, if that. I've never really rated Pirelli's tbh, so I'm expecting even more of an improvement when I replace them (which will be very soon). Not sure what I'll replace with, probably ContiSportContact 5's, or Pilot Sports's.

The rears are 285/30/19. The M3 I had was on CSL sizes, they were 265/30/19 on the rear IIRC, that was on MPSS's. The old boy's Jag has 20" wheels, they're 285 rears, he's running Dunlop Sport Maxx I think.
    Last edited by S70T5Chris; Tuesday 12th April 2016 at 18:06.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    11.5" rear tyres.

Nuff said.
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Thread Information