Join Today
    Bored it now need to build
    it...
    Thanks

s60r head gasket on 850?

hi guys

I am back on my engine rebuild project after a long break! (money...) but have an issue. due to bore wear I had to rebore so am now at 83mm not 81mm so the same as a 2.4l t5 or r i believe. However now my stock t5 850 head gasket slightly overhangs the top of the bore. I have heard that an s60r gasket can be used but the ?coolant holes seem different. Is this true can it be directly applied? Do i even need to if a little overhang isnt a problem?
    i compared the 2 at volvo today and the difference in diameter of each bore on the gaskets themselves is only 1mm between the 850 and the r strangely, i thought they would be like the bores and have a bigger difference....

thanks for your help!

Si

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    It was recommended to me that I should rebuild with the S60R gasket so I will be doing that. Having my deck shimmed and closed at Shemtek too. My bore will be remaining at the larger 81.5mm to fit my larger forged pistons.

Name:  12743818_1154000554640641_9170232726608238740_n.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  49.5 KB
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

it...
    Thanks
    Wow that is a beautiful piece of work! Fair play buddy it's going to make one hell of an engine! Sadly mine is not quite to that spec, my main concern is the lack of holes at one end that seem to have mirrored holes in the cylinder head. On the 850 there are three or four but on the S 60 there is only one so I'm a bit worried I might drastically reduce the flow of coolant to the cylinder head...

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    Coolant circuit to the cylinder head AFAIK is supplied by the main water pipe which goes into the head just behind the exhaust cam and comes out near the crank position sensor. Someone might correct me on this but I thought the rest was oil channels?

BTW that ^^ is not my engine - pic is just as an example.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

it...
    Thanks
    Thanks WD, I found this the other day which is what made me a little concerned as its those 5 holes that are now just 1 on the s60r

http://www.tracystruesoaps.com/tutor...ng_system.html

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks
    The bottom radiator hose goes on to the rear water pipe and this goes into the cylinder block directly behind the water pump impeller.

The hottest part of the cooling system is in the cylinder head, common practice to slightly increase the boiling point of the coolant at this point is to restrict its flow out of there hence some gaskets have different size coolant paths through the gasket.

it...
    Thanks
    Thanks Tim, okay that's interesting that these holes are actually for flow to go back down from the head. Either way I would pretty much believe anything you said about these engines given your experience so S 60r head gasket it is! Just need some time off work now to put the dam thing on... Bottom end is finally built at least, this project has dragged on much longer than I would like it to have! You guys on here and on T5d5 have been so kind and helpful helping me through my first big engine project, unfortunately I ask a lot of questions and at the moment and cant give much back I just want to make sure I get this project right first time and don't have to start taking it all apart again! I love the car and it would be a shame to end up having to scrap it due to stupid error. Once it's finally built I'll cobble together all the pictures I took and add it into a final thread and hopefully somebody somewhere will get something useful from it

Thanks again

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Bigsi15 For This Useful Post:

Tim Williams (Monday 14th March 2016)

Thread Information