Join Today
    looking to get MTE Map
    Thanks

Speakers in tailgate

I'm toying with putting a pair of speakers in the tailgate panel on my 2005 v70, has any one else done this and are there any issues with doing so? I've not had the carpeted panel off as yet so aren't sure if there are any holes in the fibreglass suitable for mounting speakers. At present my car being Ex plod does not have any speakers in the rear.

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Paul
    Ex Police V70 T5 SE now scrapped.
    Daily driver V60 D3 R-design

2004 C70 2.4T GT, modifications front strut brace, 19" Peg reps with white lettered tires.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    The pillars you mean?
    The grilles usually have the wiring underneath, for the premium system and if you fit an aftermarket head unit, the iso cable makes the rear speaker connections live (as well as the middle dash speaker)
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Thanks
    I'm not sure it's a good idea to put speakers in the tailgate itself, it'll rattle like hell and getting the wires in would be a pain too.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

looking to get MTE Map
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    I'm not sure it's a good idea to put speakers in the tailgate itself, it'll rattle like hell and getting the wires in would be a pain too.
    Ones in pillars are very tiny, all be it mine just have blanking plates at moment, thought I would put them in tailgate similar to Ford used to do on sierra estates, only thing is I've not had the panel off yet to see what the structure behind is, wires I would run through same sleeve near hinge that number plate light and wiper wires run in (assuming its a sleeve and not a multi plug) I am guessing that as some members have fitted reversing cameras on tailgate there must be access to get wires in.

2004 C70 2.4T GT, modifications front strut brace, 19" Peg reps with white lettered tires.

Thanks
    There's access for the wires, not sure about available cavities to accommodate speakers tho. Keep in mind, the tailgate is fiberglass, so cutting won't be hard.
    I fitted creative eax speakers in the pillars on mine (from an old pc surround system) and surprisingly, you can hear them with the 1000W sub in the boot and the decent quality of the door speakers giving all the bass and mid-range I needed, the upper mid-range and tweet from the eax speakers gave it a final level of immersion with the pseudo-surround from the headunit/Bluetooth setup.
    It's quite nice

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

expolicev70t5 (Wednesday 9th March 2016)

looking to get MTE Map
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    There's access for the wires, not sure about available cavities to accommodate speakers tho. Keep in mind, the tailgate is fiberglass, so cutting won't be hard.
    I fitted creative eax speakers in the pillars on mine (from an old pc surround system) and surprisingly, you can hear them with the 1000W sub in the boot and the decent quality of the door speakers giving all the bass and mid-range I needed, the upper mid-range and tweet from the eax speakers gave it a final level of immersion with the pseudo-surround from the headunit/Bluetooth setup.
    It's quite nice
    Looking to install Hertz component speakers in front doors, Hertz 2 way speakers in rear doors all powered by Hertz amp, I was looking to power Hertz 2 way speakers in tailgate with Pioneer 2 way amp I have and then 10" Herts shallow mount sub in box located within the spare wheel, again powered by Hertz amp, I them intended to re use one of the door speakers in the central dash powered from head unit in a similar manor to the way you installed yours from the thread a while back. All run by Alpine double din touch screen head unit.

I might just re look at speakers in rear pillars to see if I can use that void as you suggest

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Just run the wires through the right hand hinge as there's more room due to the only thing that runs side is the washer jet pipe .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Looking forward to seeing the project thread

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

11. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

Thread Information