Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

C70 strange low speed vibration/shimmy

Hi chaps.
    New here - looking forward to contributing. Have done a search before posting !
    Bought my wife a low mileage freshly mot'd c70 auto, a 2.4 SE Lux, 2008.
    It's got a bit of a driveline vibration under acceleration between 15-35mph, quite subtle but there, more noticeable under harder acceleration.
    If anything it feels like shimmying through the car ie no feedback through steering and the likes - you kindof feel it though the floorpan/your feet, and through the seat on your bum! Definitely appears to be more front n/s based.
    As part of my working my way through the car - it's had a new wishbone on the nearside as a bush was shot (fresh MOT !!), it's had replacement decent tyres and the wheels were checked for buckling.
    It's a bit of a weird one as it seems to go at speed, in all other aspects the car seems fine. I'm fairly sure it isn't a characteristic of the car although its the only one I have driven to be fair.
    I will say that doing the wishbone has very slightly softened the effect, which is subtle anyway.
    When I had the tyres done one wheel had a slight pothole buckle on the inner rim - this balanced out on the machine effortlessly, and we've switched the wheels around front to back/side to side to see if we can alter the issue which we haven't so far.
    Anyone got any ideas?
    Appreciated.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Hi
    I would suspect the buckled wheel firstly. I have had similar in the past. If you have a spare put that on to check.
    There is a place near Gatwick that can repair some damaged wheels, they took a pothole buckle out of one of my mercs wheels which also had a flat spot. I had an Omega estate which vibrated at around 20mph and 60mph. It had aftermarket wheels and it turned out all four wheels were out of true and were replaced.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Driveshaft or cv joint.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks so far.
    Have been looking for a replacement wheel but Mirzam's seem thin on the ground (ours need a refurb anyway).

This user has no status

Thanks
    To further this, I drove Madams's car again today.
    The vibration/shimmy happens definitely between 15-35mph and is speed not revs dependent - proved by switching to manual and holding in gear (1st, 2nd etc).
    Any further thoughts?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Right.
    I will further this thread when:-
    I've resolved the osf wishbone which is also ****ed, replaced the scrubbed back tyre on the back, sorted out at least two wheels including the one I've just found a crappy weld in.

Further woes though are the exhaust which will have a nice thread of its own

Thread Information