Join Today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

C70 Mk1 Rear Anti sway bar kit

Hi

I'm new to the forum but have had a lot of Volvos in my time - ranging from a p1800ES to the S80 V8.

I currently have the new V40 D4 and a 2000 vintage C70 T5 in great condition and running c.310 bhp. I'm looking to keep this car under bit more control - front Strut brace is already in place. Is the rear bar worth doing, should I drop it a little or what? I do not want a teeth chatterer but I do need for it to be capable of taking a sharp corner without making me feel it's goodbye Vienna!
    This is a superb car - a real sleeper and the opulence of the interior is a sight to behold all for pin money . Ridiculous really and some of the write-ups regarding the throttle body etc are far too alarmist.
    Anyway - if anybody has some thoughts and a reliable/ cost effective supplier of these products then that would be welcome.

thanks

JP

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    I've run the IPD rear one for quite sometime on my C70 and it has been so long now - I really don't know. It is after all the sum of all the parts.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ok well put it another way then - would it bother you to take it off the car??
    Have you done anything else to it given you refer to the sum of all the parts?
    Where did you source the IPD part?

Thanks
    JP

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    No I think it was a good upgrade at the time, though there were clearance issues with the rear hard brake lines. Please open the link to my garage to see the full spec. IPD is a Volvo parts/performance site based in the USA, I have imported a few bits from the in the past.

http://www.ipdusa.com/

you can also get the same ARBs from Don Norchi on Kalmar-Union

http://kalmar-union.com/parts/volvo-850_s70_v70_c70-suspension/
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Wednesday 24th February 2016 at 10:44.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks for that Dave

Your car looks a bit of a beast!
    I will not want to take mine to that level but it will be sufficient to cause worry to just about anything south of a Porsche turbo!

Looks like it will be a process of iteration - I might start with the rear bar and work from there.

Cheers

JP

6. The Following User Says Thank You to John Pritchard For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Wednesday 24th February 2016)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    It's my 10 year ongoing project. Volvo's never die - they just live of old ones.

I had a 19T for 7 years - from box to bin. Only in the last 3 years have I been trying to really push the envelope. When it works there is nothing quite like it. When it works.

Few shots from over the years...
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Last edited by Wobbly Dave; Wednesday 24th February 2016 at 14:42.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wobbly Dave For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Tuesday 12th April 2016),jamesy12345 (Wednesday 24th February 2016)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    And a few more 'ere
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

This user has no status

Thanks

Throttle response

Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    And a few more 'ere
    Done one or two things with the car - I'm happy with the front strut brace for handling purposes - since I last posted however one thing I have noticed with it is that the throttle response is somewhat slow. I've been trying to see whether there is a widget you can attach to improve this but the one source where I could get something has offered no replies to my request (which suggests that it might no apply anyway). It's had a new throttle body so I don't think it's that and in any case it is I believe a common complaint on the 70 series. My question is therefore is there any way of improving on the throttle response noting that it's already re-mapped?

Appreciative
    Thanks
    I was quite impressed with the difference the standard Volvo front strut brace had made on my 850 T5, you obviously found the same on the C70, how do you rate the difference?

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    It was almost the first thing I added. after the ITG panel filter. Well worth the money.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by John Pritchard View Post
    Done one or two things with the car - I'm happy with the front strut brace for handling purposes - since I last posted however one thing I have noticed with it is that the throttle response is somewhat slow. I've been trying to see whether there is a widget you can attach to improve this but the one source where I could get something has offered no replies to my request (which suggests that it might no apply anyway). It's had a new throttle body so I don't think it's that and in any case it is I believe a common complaint on the 70 series. My question is therefore is there any way of improving on the throttle response noting that it's already re-mapped?
    The only way of improving the throttle response is to have the throttle pedal remapped, if you know who mapped it in the first place, they should be able to alter the pedal map, just get it mapped 1:1.

This user has no status

Thanks

Cool Throttle response

Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    The only way of improving the throttle response is to have the throttle pedal remapped, if you know who mapped it in the first place, they should be able to alter the pedal map, just get it mapped 1:1.

I have now addressed the throttle response but not through a remap. i came across a product called pedalbox which had very good reviews etc but unfortunately it did not fit a pre-06 C70. I chased this down with them and a product called Sprint Booster came up. Did some searches and the write ups were good and it would appear that they had one that fitted the Mk1. So I bought it (£170) - not cheap but if it worked then worth the investment. So fitted it - fairly simple job in that it fits between the throttle connector and the module. However I noticed that this sat slightly under the brake pedal and sure enough when I went for a test drive this widget fouled the brake - very dangerous. I went back to the seller and sent pictures etc highlighting that this wasn't fit for purpose / dangerous. Nothing happened until I said I would give them a really cr*p feedback on ebay (I had to ring Greece for this!!). The solution was simple - a 90 degree elbow or a wire connection (instead of a fixed). Apparently the factory that produces these was just down the road from the supplier and they begged me to wait. Sure enough 5 days later I received a totally new customised module which I have now fitted to the C70. It has 3 settings - off, moderate and aggressive. There is little point using the moderate but the aggressive setting is pretty awesome. On this setting every sinew on the car is maxxed under strong acceleration and boy does it shift - until you fit something like this then you really don't get a feeling that there is 300+ BHP under the bonnet because the electronic communication is lagged.. However this brings its own problems - there is now excessive lift on the car under hard acceleration. Any thoughts on how to address this without making it a filling chattering basket case?
    I have a spare Sprint Booster if there is interest (it would require wire connection - not difficult but necessary) - happy to discuss.

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    I think that throttle mod cost more than my map!
    19t, greens, 3" inlet, 3" downpipe with race cat, V70R catback, autotech map...

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

2016 Swedish Day UK "Best Modified Swede"
    SOLD

Got an old discovery now.

Yes I will be behind you but
    thats for the benefit of your
    health.
    Thanks
    Just out of interest, what has been done to get your car over 300bhp?
    854 T5 - The new project.

850 tdi - sorely missed.

This user has no status

Thanks

remap

Quote Originally Posted by martin_r_smith View Post
    Just out of interest, what has been done to get your car over 300bhp?
    Try these guys:

https://www.celtictuning.co.uk/

They do the job properly (ECU out, take the baseline mapping out and install a specific remap for the T5 engine).

This is supposed to yield c. 305 bhp and costs £325)

To which I've added :

- a custom SS exhaust 2.5 inches from the cat (£300)
    - K&N filter (£50)
    - front brace (£80)
    plus the Sprint Booster and this C70 is now very seriously fast. (£170)

All of which comes under £1k in total cost. The car itself cost me £1500 - 75k with FSH and top class condition (dark blue with fawn interior). What a superb value for money car it is!
    Last edited by John Pritchard; Saturday 7th May 2016 at 00:37. Reason: erratum

This user has no status

Thanks
    yes - but without it you will not get the response from the extra power. Trust me this makes a real difference - and somewhat removes the turbo lag issue associated with the big turbo on the 2.3 engine.

Thanks
    Not being flippant but... You won't get 300+ bhp from that engine without changing injectors, turbo, downpipe..
    Is there a dyno printout to back up these claims?
    My car has an almost identical engine and I know exactly what it takes to get 310bhp from it.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

This user has no status

Thanks
    Go on their website and have a look . I know what the standard T5 car does - I've had plenty of them (had an 850 T5 for 5 years) - and there is nothing close to what this is doing at the moment. So whilst I don't have a dyno print out I know what a T5 looks like and this aint it. So be as flippant as you like, but proof of the pudding as they say .....

Thanks
    All remap websites claim 300+bhp, with my old 16t running 22psi, I only made 279bhp.

310.2bhp / 333ft/lb

SOLD

Thread Information