Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

V70R with LPG conversion.

Found a Half decent V70R for sale on eBay with 122k miles and full history. At a closer look at the rear bumper you can see it's had the lpg conversion, however iv spoke to the seller and it was professionally removed. What are your thoughts and experience on the use of an LPG system on these cars. Does it damage the engine and why would someone put it in one of these cars then remove it. Does anyone from the forum recognise this particular car. Exhaust looks a bit suspect too!!

Here's the link. http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/182026006183

Cheers

Cam

Gizza job!
    Thanks
    I don't recognise the car apart from seeing it being for sale for a while.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a car that has or has had an lpg conversion.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Yosser For This Useful Post:

cammiet (Monday 22nd February 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yea that's what I thought. Especially one that's had it removed. Looks a bit rough round the edges too.

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    I'm not LPG adverse but like with any mod or installation they can vary in quality. Don't use this as an indicator but if the system was removed it was probably a system worth keeping.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Santa For This Useful Post:

Trader
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,665 Times in 1,419 Posts
    I had the older engines with LPG and was a cheaper motoring,thats if its all a good quality system and installation.It looks to me as u said a half decent tho and I`d put my money into a decent one in the 1st place or u end up making it decent and could cost more financially plus yr time etc.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kingsford G For This Useful Post:

This user has no status
    Thanks
    5k....... Don't think so. Looks rougher than a rough thing. Had loads of paint for a start. God know swhat that thing is sticking out of the back quarter above lpg cap, Coloured interior lighting, aftermarket stereo, removed roof bars (exposed holes), messed with exhaust, look like hand painted pegs, dodgy back wiper arm, why would you consider it, where's the positives???? Also little thing that I go with every time, if it comes from a dodgy looking home beware............

V70r 6Speed Auto
    First car to put a smile back on my face for years!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BigGreg For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Lol, Big Greg you're totally right, I think because it's just down the road from me I was going to check it out and see how much I would need to spend to get it back original and make him a silly offer but I'm kidding myself on! The coloured interior lighting is hilarious/horrible/Naff!! I'm fed up looking for a proper good one. The one you've got is exactly what I want. 6speed auto! Cheers for the honest comment, just what I needed!! Haha

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cammiet For This Useful Post:

BigGreg (Tuesday 23rd February 2016)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    Ignoring the lpg issue, 5k is just too much for a rough 5spd auto v70r.

Remember not only do the early 5spd autos suffer with reliability issue, there just not that quick either.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LiamT4 For This Useful Post:

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yea you're right, that's why I really want the 2006-07 6speed auto. rare beasts though! I just need to learn and be patient!

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cammiet View Post
    Lol, Big Greg you're totally right, I think because it's just down the road from me I was going to check it out and see how much I would need to spend to get it back original and make him a silly offer but I'm kidding myself on! The coloured interior lighting is hilarious/horrible/Naff!! I'm fed up looking for a proper good one. The one you've got is exactly what I want. 6speed auto! Cheers for the honest comment, just what I needed!! Haha
    I will give you a bell when I talk Harvey in to selling me his Sonic Blue Manual then. ;-)

V70r 6Speed Auto
    First car to put a smile back on my face for years!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Nothing wrong with LPG conversion if it was done properly, however here is the question: what system was built in and who did it? Was it a trustworthy garage with certificate and experience in Volvo's or John Doe the neighbor.....?
    In general today's LPG systems are proven to be good and also used for racing cars. For instance the engine remains clean, less deposits and efficient combustion. LPG equals around 100-102 octane petrol.
    Also please do not forget, that Volvo was producing such cars in the past!
    But..
    A conversion has to be done properly and the installer should know Volvo's specification inside-out before attempting such task. The installer also should use proper system and parts ex big fat injectors and a fast reducer with proper mapping based on the factory petrol system.
    I believe the R's cannot be converted easily due to the fuel pressure needs to be emulated according to Volvo's specification, while running on LPG. Some well known brands have solutions for this, such as Prins, Vialle, BRC and few Italian companies.

In general, the LPG conversion should not have any impact on the engine unless it was completely messed up, but in that case the car won't even run.....
    In case if the owner does not know or cannot provide the history of the LPG conversion, I would be very-very careful and perhaps walk away immediately.

Also if it was properly removed, then should be ok. What I would be checking in this case: the inlet manifold, as the LPG injectors must be connected there and holes had to be drilled. These either needs to be covered with bolts or welded or new/used intake installed. Other than that the coolant pipes must be restored as it should have been cut and a T or Y piece installed due to the LPG system reducer.
    Finally checking the boot/spare wheel space for holes drilled to fasten the toroidal LPG tank or near the back seats where the cylinder type of tank would have been fitted onto its bracket.

My previous S60 (2.0T) had a secondary ECU controlled STAG (LPG) system + HANA injectors installed at 144k miles by a certified garage. It is still running without a single glitch with nearly 200k miles on the clock.
    Last edited by htomi; Wednesday 24th February 2016 at 15:16.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

18. The Following User Says Thank You to htomi For This Useful Post:

cammiet (Wednesday 24th February 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

20. The Following User Says Thank You to htomi For This Useful Post:

cammiet (Wednesday 24th February 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreg View Post
    I will give you a bell when I talk Harvey in to selling me his Sonic Blue Manual then. ;-)
    I'll hold you to that!! Have you seen LeeT5's V70R? Some machine. He's got all the good kit on it. Has yours got high milage? Good spec?

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by htomi View Post
    Nothing wrong with LPG conversion if it was done properly, however here is the question: what system was built in and who did it? Was it a trustworthy garage with certificate and experience in Volvo's or John Doe the neighbor.....?
    In general today's LPG systems are proven to be good and also used for racing cars. For instance the engine remains clean, less deposits and efficient combustion. LPG equals around 100-102 octane petrol.
    Also please do not forget, that Volvo was producing such cars in the past!
    But..
    A conversion has to be done properly and the installer should know Volvo's specification inside-out before attempting such task. The installer also should use proper system and parts ex big fat injectors and a fast reducer with proper mapping based on the factory petrol system.
    I believe the R's cannot be converted easily due to the fuel pressure needs to be emulated according to Volvo's specification, while running on LPG. Some well known brands have solutions for this, such as Prins, Vialle, BRC and few Italian companies.

In general, the LPG conversion should not have any impact on the engine unless it was completely messed up, but in that case the car won't even run.....
    In case if the owner does not know or cannot provide the history of the LPG conversion, I would be very-very careful and perhaps walk away immediately.

Also if it was properly removed, then should be ok. What I would be checking in this case: the inlet manifold, as the LPG injectors must be connected there and holes had to be drilled. These either needs to be covered with bolts or welded or new/used intake installed. Other than that the coolant pipes must be restored as it should have been cut and a T or Y piece installed due to the LPG system reducer.
    Finally checking the boot/spare wheel space for holes drilled to fasten the toroidal LPG tank or near the back seats where the cylinder type of tank would have been fitted onto its bracket.

My previous S60 (2.0T) had a secondary ECU controlled STAG (LPG) system + HANA injectors installed at 144k miles by a certified garage. It is still running without a single glitch with nearly 200k miles on the clock.
    Thanks for the info mate.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cammiet View Post
    Thanks for the info mate.
    You're welcome.
    As mentioned by others above, this car looks a bit rough and most likely does not worth the price tag, the owner is asking for it. Keep in mind, when it comes to used cars, condition is what will be purchased not the miles on the clock. I would consider about the aftermarket exhaust and head unit as personal preference rather than unnecessary modification till those were installed professionally.
    Removing the roof rails together with the missing headlight wiper,misaligned rear wiper, kerb marks on the painted Peg's and whatever is the thing above the fuel door are certainly signs that this particular car wasn't treated well. In case if you're still playing with the idea of buying it, then my advice (next to all mandatory check points) is to bring a VIDA/DICE and read out all codes stored, then delete all and lets see what comes back. Obviously if the owner doesn't want to allow this, then walk away and don't even look back.

Half the price and possible issue can be the DEM or FPS.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-V70R...YAAOSwKtVWyK2j
    Last edited by htomi; Thursday 25th February 2016 at 11:27.

Thread Information