Join Today
    Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks

Aced the MOT......BUT

Impressed! The big bus got 2 failures (one rear door solenoid not unlocking, have to press button inside THEN pull handle?) i showed the examiner this so he passed on that but the front number plate had water ingress so the garage made one up and she passed!

NOW THE BUT........ After my weekly trip to Torquay this week i parked in the garage and noticed a VERY strong smell of hot oil, as in dripping on exhaust or similar? She has also now started blowing smoke out of the dipstick tube?

Ive read somewhere about the crank case breather but on these isnt this called a PCV. I am down this week until 19th then have to return to work so need a quick fix.

A) is this an easy fix as not brought all my auto tools this time only socket set
    B) can i clean the old PCV out or do i need to find a dealer to sell Me an OEM item
    C) is it reachable up on axle stands under the engine please.

I have a nice dry ( but cold) garage to work in down here with power and light, a change from out in the street back at my lodgings ��

Thanks
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

2004 - V70 D5 -'Black Bess' - The new addition
    2002 - C70 T5 'Ragetty Anne' - awaiting rebuild long term storage

This user has no status

Thanks
    Here are some instructions. T5 is probably similar to the R.
    I've heard some managed to clean the PCV pipes, but still replaced the catch tank.
    I would recommend the glove test immediately and see it from there. Blowing smoke isn't a good sign, your PCV is most likely clogged.
    Make sure, you'll read through the instructions and the comments too as not all steps are 100% necessary as the OP states and use your judgement if you can handle it on your own with whatever tools you have available.

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?176501

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

3. The Following User Says Thank You to htomi For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Monday 22nd February 2016)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tee5alive View Post

A) is this an easy fix as not brought all my auto tools this time only socket set
    B) can i clean the old PCV out or do i need to find a dealer to sell Me an OEM item
    C) is it reachable up on axle stands under the engine please.
    A) No. Your going to need a full accompaniment of tools, not just a socket set.
    B) No. Trying to clean the PCV pipes is foolish and all but impossible. One of the pipes is made of poly which will be hard and brittle on removal and will likely snap like a twig.
    C) All the work is done under the bonnet with the car on the floor.

Your looking at spending between £150 - £200. £150 on the cheap, changing only the pipes and catch can. £200 if you do the job properly and replace the Banjo bolts, catch can, PCV pipes, Inlet manifold gasket, all clips and clamps (needing C-clip pliers), Antifreeze change, Engine oil change and filter.

When I did mine I also replaced the thermostat housing c/w thermostat and temp sensor because it was very easy to replace which the manifold off. This will bump the total cost up to £300.

TOP TIP!!!!

Don't remove the inlet manifold lower bolts completely!!! The bottom of the manifold does not have captive holes and therefore facilitates easy removal of the inlet manifold and easy relocation.

I also replaced my dipstick 'o' rings, as these are essentially part of the PCV system and prevent the engine trying to breath via the dipstick tube (which it should never do).
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

Tee5alive (Monday 22nd February 2016)

Hoping for a miracle
    Thanks
    cheers guys, looks like shes off the road for a while again then and I need to TRY to get my C70 running as my Torquay transport!!

Put the C70 in storage MOT's and taxed running perfectly - but shes got moody being neglected (as cars do) and now is misfiring like a pig and engine light on! Bought some new plugs for her so hopefully that will work as its a tad damp where shes stored!!
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=11614&dateline=143983  7674

2004 - V70 D5 -'Black Bess' - The new addition
    2002 - C70 T5 'Ragetty Anne' - awaiting rebuild long term storage

Thread Information