Join Today

Thread: CV boot change

"Just cos the got the
    power, don't mean you got the
    right"
    Thanks

CV boot change

Hey people, been under the car today noticed drivers outside boot is gone, just been looking through old threads for info, found that the splines in the hub can be abit tight. What concerns me is getting the driveshaft off the car so I can pull the end of the driveshaft off. With it being the long shaft, will it split at the bearing on the back of the engine if I pull the clip of the rubber boot?? If I have to take all the driveshaft out, how much gearbox oil am I likely to lose? Also with mine being automatic, I don't want it losing to much in case it throws a wobbler...

cheers

Mark

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverswedemachine View Post
    Hey people, been under the car today noticed drivers outside boot is gone, just been looking through old threads for info, found that the splines in the hub can be abit tight. What concerns me is getting the driveshaft off the car so I can pull the end of the driveshaft off. With it being the long shaft, will it split at the bearing on the back of the engine if I pull the clip of the rubber boot?? If I have to take all the driveshaft out, how much gearbox oil am I likely to lose? Also with mine being automatic, I don't want it losing to much in case it throws a wobbler...

cheers

Mark
    Once you get the shaft out of the hub (loosen the nut/bolt and give it a tap with a hammer to free it off), take off the old boot. There's a circlip you can undo and the outer CV joint should simply come away from the main part of the shaft - it won't be tight. Then you can put the new boot on, and pack the joint with grease. Then re-fit the CV joint and put the circlip on, then pull the boot over and clip it.

You'll need circlip pliers. This is just as easy done on the car so you won't loose any gear oil.

Alternatively you can use a CV boot kit with a cone. They're fairly easy to use if you heat the boot in hot water first.

No need to remove the whole shaft

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mart5in For This Useful Post:

silverswedemachine (Sunday 14th February 2016)

"Just cos the got the
    right"
    Thanks
    Cheers Mart5in, I did wonder if it had a circlip in it. Yeah i ordered a proper boot for it so I will be splitting it... Heres hoping the shaft isn't stuck in the hub...

cheers

Mark

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by silverswedemachine View Post
    Cheers Mart5in, I did wonder if it had a circlip in it. Yeah i ordered a proper boot for it so I will be splitting it... Heres hoping the shaft isn't stuck in the hub...

cheers

Mark
    I changed my boot when I did my wheel bearing. Hardest part was getting the (36mm AF) hub nut off! ended up borrowing a 3/4" drive bar and using a scaffold bar on the end of it after I snapped my 1/2" drive one!

This user has no status

Thanks
    hi there, the outer c.v boots are very easy to replace as the driveshafts can be split in place, so there is no need to remove the hub nut or loose any gearbox oil, this can be done on various makes and models

"Just cos the got the
    right"
    Thanks
    Yes mart5in, out with the 1/2 inch stuff, will borrow the neighbours 3/4 set. Certainly not worried about breaking that, proper tools... Roll on weekend...

cheers

Mark

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Did you get this done at all?

"Just cos the got the
    right"
    Thanks
    Yes mate, I did... Easy job, just the circlip holding the cv on was a faff, old boot was well split, had gone nearly all way round...

Cheers

Mark

Thread Information