Join Today

Thread: Boost

This user has no status

Thanks

Boost

Fitted a boost gauge today and not bad all for around £20.00 but I'm only boosting to about 13psi and sometimes spikes 15/16psi the car was remapped from previous owner about 7 years ago but isn't 13psi standard boost? What should a remap be boosting to?

Some photos:

I'm still deciding wether to keep it in that location...

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinking2020 View Post
    Fitted a boost gauge today and not bad all for around £20.00 but I'm only boosting to about 13psi and sometimes spikes 15/16psi the car was remapped from previous owner about 7 years ago but isn't 13psi standard boost? What should a remap be boosting to?
    On ME7.1, Boost is Torque dependent. Also, 'Boost request' and actual boost can be two different things. Meaning boost request, although mapped, is dependent on lots of different things including Throttle position, Ambient air temp, Atmospheric pressure, Torque request - in which ever given gear at whatever given speed, 4C setting etc etc. Basically, there is no specific boost reading that you should be seeing. It's variable!

The figures you are seeing would appear to be completely normal to me and nothing to worry about.

Just because the car was mapped, doesn't mean that the 'Boost request' and 'Torque request' parameters were altered in the MAP.
    That's why when ppl pull fuses 6 and 23 to rest the ECM, this forces the Module to 'relearn' driving style. It adapts very quickly and doesn't take long for adaptations to be set and stored. You'll often see higher boost readings initially on your gauge that, after a reset, seem to decrease. This is totally normal.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinking2020 View Post

....and sort that earth out aswell!!! That's a bodge, if ever I saw one. You need a proper Eyelet not bear wire stuffed under a bolt
    Last edited by LeeT5; Thursday 4th February 2016 at 01:50.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    The below site says standard (max) boost is 14.7 psi/just over 1 bar

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/volvo-s60r-awd.pdf

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    The below site says standard (max) boost is 14.7 psi/just over 1 bar

http://media.caranddriver.com/files/volvo-s60r-awd.pdf
    It also says max speed 146mph. In the UK it's 155mph. I don't pay too much attention to American info from press magazines. They're often wrong and also cars that ship to the US are often altered to suit the US market.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    1.1 bar (16 psi) (Technical training course TU1-0819 29 May 2003 V2 )

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

BigGreg (Thursday 4th February 2016)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    1.1 bar (16 psi) (Technical training course TU1-0819 29 May 2003 V2 )
    yes as per post #17 below...

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthr...S60R-run-stock

That thread mentions that 14.7 is max sustained boost & 16 psi is max peak boost

May be an indicator that the OP's car is not mapped
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Thursday 4th February 2016 at 10:58.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Or its a crap gauge lol

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Thursday 4th February 2016),LeeT5 (Thursday 4th February 2016)

More cars than a Showroom
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,141 Posts
    It would work fine in a T5 Martin ��
    Thanks
    Martyn

Thanks
    Nob.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Kevin, are you 100% your car has been mapped?
    If you're not, then I do know a good mapper, in Maidstone, that will be able to read your ECM files and compare them to a stock tune. That will establish 100% if it is mapped or not.

On a side note, I gotta say that I'm not a big fan of gauges of any type, stuck on the dash with a cheap plastic mount. They just look out of place, like they're not meant to be there. Also, wires showing etc....not a good install my friend. Alas, I'm not here to poke at your handy work, but if you're happy with it?
    You could instead mount the gauge (being a 52mm type) in the air vent!! This will look cleaner and will hide all the wires.

Whilst you're there, you must clean the dust off your steering column!

...here we go again...
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by M-R-P View Post
    Nob.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    ...On a side note, I gotta say that I'm not a big fan of gauges of any type, stuck on the dash with a cheap plastic mount. They just look out of place, like they're not meant to be there. Also, wires showing etc....not a good install my friend. Alas, I'm not here to poke at your handy work, but if you're happy with it?
    You could instead mount the gauge (being a 52mm type) in the air vent!! This will look cleaner and will hide all the wires...
    they can be useful for a bit of fault finding, this one looks OK too...

Name:  image.png
Views: 0
Size:  272.5 KB

Thanks
    Mines fibre glassed into the speedo cowl.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Kevin, are you 100% your car has been mapped?
    If you're not, then I do know a good mapper, in Maidstone, that will be able to read your ECM files and compare them to a stock tune. That will establish 100% if it is mapped or not.

On a side note, I gotta say that I'm not a big fan of gauges of any type, stuck on the dash with a cheap plastic mount. They just look out of place, like they're not meant to be there. Also, wires showing etc....not a good install my friend. Alas, I'm not here to poke at your handy work, but if you're happy with it?
    You could instead mount the gauge (being a 52mm type) in the air vent!! This will look cleaner and will hide all the wires.

Whilst you're there, you must clean the dust off your steering column!
    I've got an invoice that the car was remapped like 7 years ago by the original owner. The previous owner I brought it from phoned the company and they said it was mapped to 340bhp etc...

I had my car serviced last year at SW Autos and the owner Stuart said the car has been remapped.

The car needs mapping again due to having 3" downpipe, decat etc.. I've been speaking to JR Tuning in sittingbourne but going to wait until I've got FMIC.

I'm not happy with the location of gauge as it's showing all wires and is just temporary so I can see what boost I'm running. I'll be looking into getting a pillar gauge pod or door pod.

haha the car needs a good clean inside which is on my list to do.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    I know Stuart very well, known him years!
    You won't need a remap, the car will just adapt to the new mods.

Here's my boost gauge: day and night pictures included.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...-door-pod-(P2)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Thursday 4th February 2016)

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    I know Stuart very well, known him years!
    You won't need a remap, the car will just adapt to the new mods.

Here's my boost gauge: day and night pictures included.

http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...-door-pod-(P2)
    I didn't realise you had yours mounted on the door, Lee, looks good

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

LeeT5 (Thursday 4th February 2016)

Thread Information