Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

Intermittent non-start.

Hi everyone. Since owning my T5 (bought in 2008) there has been a rare but annoying fault whereby the car will turn over and momentarily fire or fire and rev up once then cut out again. This was overcome by removing the key,locking then unlocking the doors with the fob and then it would start. Recently (in time with the weather taking a turn for the worse) this has become more of a problem and isn't overcome first attempt by the aforementioned. This applies to both my keys/fobs. Once started it is absolutely fine and has never cut out or misbehaved in any way. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Might be an idea to have it plugged into the proper diagnostic and see what it throws up.
    With electrical stuff on these cars, guessing is usually fruitless.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M-R-P For This Useful Post:

p fandango (Thursday 18th February 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Ive had the same problem before. Would start and run for a second or two then die (mostly at the petrol station) it gradualy got more and more often then started to cutout while driving. I found the problem to be the fuel pump relay it had dry solder joints whitch i resoldered and its been fine for the last six months. the starting and cutting out is because the fuel pump will prime the fuel system and the car will start but the pump wouldent run continuasly once the engine was running and it would lose fuel pressure and stall.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Shadow For This Useful Post:

Wasp (Saturday 13th February 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    A replacement crank position sensor appears to have resolved this... £21 from fleabay and literally 10 minutes to fit. Thanks for your replies.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Mine has done similar to Shadow's car. Would struggle to start when warm (filling station often), just cranking and not catching. Then every now and then it would just randomly cut-out whilst driving, as if I'd keyed off. The fuel pump relay was replaced, and it's fixed both issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Ive had the same problem before. Would start and run for a second or two then die (mostly at the petrol station) it gradualy got more and more often then started to cutout while driving. I found the problem to be the fuel pump relay it had dry solder joints whitch i resoldered and its been fine for the last six months. the starting and cutting out is because the fuel pump will prime the fuel system and the car will start but the pump wouldent run continuasly once the engine was running and it would lose fuel pressure and stall.

Thread Information