Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    This user has no status

Thanks

S60R - Big Turbo

I'm looking going down the big turbo route. I quite like CTB30VR (Cavalli Turbo) but I think it's too expensive.

Looking at ATP Turbo website i come across GT3082R (aka GT3040R) - http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=GRT which would work out cheaper getting Cavalli Turbo and it included new T3 manifold with external wastegate, 38mm Wastegate etc... But then thought the turbo probably won't fit near the angle gear and would have to change my downpipe etc...

Seen people going down the TD05 route but want do people think about TD06?

I've come across a TD06H 25G which has the same housing so will bolt straight onto downpipe by the looks of it. It's not too bad on price either.

Ebay Link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1306764153...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Old Fat Git with Grey Beard
    Need to prepare to do
    Santa-ing
    Thanks
    Thanked 102,999 Times in 1,826 Posts
    I'd be interested in the results but have no information to offer on this fitment. (Other than firewall clearance and spool up times).
    Any suggestions, information, complaints or grievances relating to this forum please feel free to contact us, talk to a mod or administrator

Cars : 2009 VW Passat CC 140 CR & 2015 VW Golf R. Uploaded Albums. Past Statuses (Or is that Stati?). Past Posts.

This user has no status

Thanks
    yeah would be interested to see what it will make.

I might just go ahead and get it.

Will be the first S60R with TD06

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    There's a chap here talking about a 20G..

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...410-aw-torque/

As above might be worth checking will it physically fit in the space you have available

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    There's a chap here talking about a 20G..

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...410-aw-torque/

As above might be worth checking will it physically fit in the space you have available
    I've read most of Doug's threads. 400 at the wheels which is nice...

He's got the Hahn Super 20G - http://www.turbosystem.com/auto/Supe...0Universal.htm

Which is only $599 not a bad price. But I'm sure they've discontinued the turbo even though it's still on there website. I've contacted them to see if there still selling it.

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    If I had my time again I'd be looking at the BorgWarner EFR series as the packaging is very good and comes with a built-in BCS. Downside is they are not cheap.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Wobbly Dave View Post
    If I had my time again I'd be looking at the BorgWarner EFR series as the packaging is very good and comes with a built-in BCS. Downside is they are not cheap.
    a few of the guys with RX-7s use those - for example EFR 7670 (big) single in place of standard small twin turbos

comparison with garret turbos...http://blog.perrinperformance.com/bo...-tuned-part-2/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jamesy12345 For This Useful Post:

Wobbly Dave (Monday 8th February 2016)

Shiny Superstar
    Back in the game!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,484 Times in 2,466 Posts
    EFR saves a bunch of work on recirc and BCS plumbing and it has a T3 turbine housing and 3" v-band so the packaging is excellent.
    Volvo ABS ECU Repair
    Join my projecteers tribe - Old Volvos Never Die - They just get faster.

Visit my VPCUK garage and my YouTube channel - WobblyDave72

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinking2020 View Post
    I've read most of Doug's threads. 400 at the wheels which is nice...

He's got the Hahn Super 20G - http://www.turbosystem.com/auto/Supe...0Universal.htm

Which is only $599 not a bad price. But I'm sure they've discontinued the turbo even though it's still on there website. I've contacted them to see if there still selling it.
    I have seen this car recently and it's got an external wastegate now due to boost creep, he's a lovely person, had a few beers with him and the 20G goes well indeed. Worth a chat with him, his top tip was PCV piping ID.

Re he cavalli, it's far from perfect but with the hardware right it's got a monstrous top end 450+ bhp @ like 1600 kg/r at 2 bar it revved an R past the 7k mark in 6th off the clock, must have been nearing 190 mph and was close to saturating an RS4 MAF!

If I did it again I'd probably go ext WG and garret though.

Re Doug, not knocking him at all but their HP is different and it's not 400@ the wheels as I've been it it lol, unless he's has a re-tune in the last few months, 330 maybe English Terms, it's not faster than my Stock B8 S4 for example.

Still fast enough for an R.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dream3r View Post
    I have seen this car recently and it's got an external wastegate now due to boost creep, he's a lovely person, had a few beers with him and the 20G goes well indeed. Worth a chat with him, his top tip was PCV piping ID.

Re he cavalli, it's far from perfect but with the hardware right it's got a monstrous top end 450+ bhp @ like 1600 kg/r at 2 bar it revved an R past the 7k mark in 6th off the clock, must have been nearing 190 mph and was close to saturating an RS4 MAF!

If I did it again I'd probably go ext WG and garret though.

Re Doug, not knocking him at all but their HP is different and it's not 400@ the wheels as I've been it it lol, unless he's has a re-tune in the last few months, 330 maybe English Terms, it's not faster than my Stock B8 S4 for example.

Still fast enough for an R.
    Not too sure on the TD06 as it is a china turbo, I've heard good and bad reviews about kinugawa.

I do really like the cavalli turbo that it is just a drop in turbo and it's a triple ball bearing but I can't justified spending £1700+ just on a turbo.

I thought Dougy's was 401 AWHP

I want to be a little different and I think I'm going more towards a Holset HX35 there cheap to buy, make decent power and sound nice when spooling but big problem is the turbo housing, there massive...

I don't know if it's possible but i like the idea of doing a custom sidewinder manifold.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    In my own experience and from what I've read online Kinugawa are excellent quality. I would buy another in a heartbeat if I were to go down the tuning route again.

I have used a Holset as well and researched them for quite a while. They are bomb proof. You just need to ensure you size the exhaust housing correctly or they can be laggy. They are also sensitive to oil flow and need a 19mm drain minimum.
    Last edited by mitchyboy01; Friday 19th February 2016 at 00:58.
    Grey 855R Manual. Totally standard.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    I really shouldn't have but spent a bit of time reading what are the possible options for an uprated turbo on the P2 R's, so thought I may as well add it to this thread rather than creating new...in order of cost apparent cost....

*K24/K26 hybrid - available from Autotech or possibly AET/other UK company who can build something up on request
    *Hahn 20G - http://www.turbosystem.com/auto/Supe...0Universal.htm 600 dollars...?
    *Owens 19T - not sure if still available? Owens' site has been down last couple of days http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/
    *Cavalli - as Kevin mentions above seems a bit expensive & I guess it would be limited by TD04 hot side also?? https://www.cavalliturbo.com/CTB30VR

& as mentioned above there's Borg Warner EFR stuff, Garrett but I think of these as expensive options for both the turbos and the fabrication worked needed (probably true of the 20G also). So bugger that IMHO

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    I really shouldn't have but spent a bit of time reading what are the possible options for an uprated turbo on the P2 R's, so thought I may as well add it to this thread rather than creating new...in order of cost apparent cost....

*K24/K26 hybrid - available from Autotech or possibly AET/other UK company who can build something up on request
    *Hahn 20G - http://www.turbosystem.com/auto/Supe...0Universal.htm 600 dollars...?
    *Owens 19T - not sure if still available? Owens' site has been down last couple of days http://www.owendevelopments.co.uk/
    *Cavalli - as Kevin mentions above seems a bit expensive & I guess it would be limited by TD04 hot side also?? https://www.cavalliturbo.com/CTB30VR

& as mentioned above there's Borg Warner EFR stuff, Garrett but I think of these as expensive options for both the turbos and the fabrication worked needed (probably true of the 20G also). So bugger that IMHO
    I have a friend in Sweden who works at the factory who swears by autotech, his daughters boyfriend has an autotech tuned s60 t5 stage 3/4 iirc.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ettienne View Post
    I have a friend in Sweden who works at the factory who swears by autotech, his daughters boyfriend has an autotech tuned s60 t5 stage 3/4 iirc.
    From that Autotech link..."God för 500hk vid 1,5 bar på E85 med Volvo original grenrör"

My very dodgy maths says that if E85 is 15% unleaded & 85% ethanol, a 5% ethanol mix that we get in the UK will give about 14% less than that..425/430 hp sounds good to me..

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Not sure how his is mapped just recommended them

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Not sure how his is mapped just recommended them
    If I do keep the car I'm leaning towards Hilton I think for the mapping - although would prefer a few examples of happy customers hence my asking in the P2 remap thread. I like the idea of being about to upload the maps by myself & emailing logs etc as the car develops. On the dyno is probably not going to work for me as no bugger wants to travel up north & even if they did I'd probably be at work.

But that Autotech hybrid seems a good idea - a decent amount of power increase, no fab work AFAIK & not crazy money (..though I would check with UK companies to see if they have similar available, I'm sure a saw a post by Simon Deathrider about AET on this subject)
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Monday 21st November 2016 at 16:09.

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    If I do keep the car I'm leaning towards Hilton I think for the mapping - although would prefer a few examples of happy customers hence my asking in the P2 remap thread. I like the idea of being about to upload the maps by myself & emailing logs etc as the car develops. On the dyno is probably not going to work for me as no bugger wants to travel up north & even if they did I'd probably be at work.

But that Autotech hybrid seems a good idea - a decent amount of power increase, no fab work AFAIK & not crazy money (..though I would check with UK companies to see if they have similar available, I'm sure a saw a post by Simon Deathrider about AET on this subject)
    AFAIK, Hilton now own the maps that John Currie (Dream3r) developed, so Shem would be the man to speak to, as he uses them. ExternalError (Stewart's) T5 has been remapped by Shem using John's maps, and he's happy with it.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    AFAIK, Hilton now own the maps that John Currie (Dream3r) developed, so Shem would be the man to speak to, as he uses them. ExternalError (Stewart's) T5 has been remapped by Shem using John's maps, and he's happy with it.
    It's not quite as simple as that with the maps as Robert has developed off shoot software from the core maps I believe he and John jointly developed, such as anti lag, switchable maps and an eco map, which I believe can be mapped into the chassis settings, these features are available via Hilton, but Shem has used them when John was alive, I'm nit sure of the situation now, it is still quite possible Shem could install them for you.

However it's possible to install remotely via dice, similar to how the don MTE maps can be done.

I've looked into it as I have asked Robert about doing a mapping session on a Dyno.

Trader
    This user has no status

Thanks

The cost of a larger than standard turbo, its fittings and an exhaust system, plus the required larger injectors, in tank fuel pump, intercooler, oil cooler, water rad. and a myriad of other non standard parts, plus software calibrations derived from road and dyno work is going to be no small sum. Not to mention suspension improvements and an LSD, and a clutch and flywheel kit to cope, WI perhaps.... and not to forget the 2.5l block's inherent weakness and the need for different rods and pistons if you are aiming for the stars......

Do you have any target outputs in mind? or indeed a defined budget?

Don.
    Last edited by don kalmar union; Monday 21st November 2016 at 20:28.
    MTE performance software, Ferrita stainless exhausts, TME stainless exhausts, AP heavy duty clutch kits, KU single mass flywheels and LSDs. 01494 785508. email don@kalmar-union.com

www.kalmar-union.com

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stribo View Post
    It's not quite as simple as that with the maps as Robert has developed off shoot software from the core maps I believe he and John jointly developed, such as anti lag, switchable maps and an eco map, which I believe can be mapped into the chassis settings, these features are available via Hilton, but Shem has used them when John was alive, I'm nit sure of the situation now, it is still quite possible Shem could install them for you.

However it's possible to install remotely via dice, similar to how the don MTE maps can be done.

I've looked into it as I have asked Robert about doing a mapping session on a Dyno.
    That's it chaps, John was behind at least some of the Hilton stuff so it would be fitting that Roberts work went onto the car. That said like I won't be saving up for a Cavalli turbo, which John seemed to be a supporter of.

Quote Originally Posted by don kalmar union View Post
    The cost of a larger than standard turbo, its fittings and an exhaust system, plus the required larger injectors, in tank fuel pump, intercooler, oil cooler, water rad. and a myriad of other non standard parts, plus software calibrations derived from road and dyno work is going to be no small sum. Not to mention suspension improvements and an LSD, and a clutch and flywheel kit to cope, WI perhaps.... and not to forget the 2.5l block's inherent weakness and the need for different rods and pistons if you are aiming for the stars......

Do you have any target outputs in mind? or indeed a defined budget?

Don.
    As ever my budget is as little as possible, Don I'm just a working guy who spends his spare money on a hobby, so over a short period the budget if you could call it that is just about non-existent. I was just trying to add to the discussion on which turbo is the 'best' choice for the R models - best in my eyes being the cheapest, most reliable, requires the least amount of fabrication to fit yet gives the most effect - near impossible I know but there you go.

For example, what was on the green monster, the Cavalli, seems not to be an option for me due to high cost without huge benefits...while the K24/K26 hybrid route seems worthy of further investigation. It's only my opinion though.
    Last edited by jamesy12345; Monday 21st November 2016 at 21:15.

Thread Information