Join Today
    This user has no status
    Thanks

Advice please on Window shade for my "R"

It's gonna be a busy week. Private plate going on tonight, new drilled disks, brembo pads, xenon and Led bulbs tomorrow and on Thursday it goes in to get the windows tinted.
    Question is how dark do you think I should go? Main reasons I want to tint is to save the kids from bright sunlight when riding in the back and to obscure the load bay. The bloke says he does a graduated thing where it gets darker the further you go back, but not sure if I have ever seen this look before. He has an interactive thing here to show how dark etc. http://www.magmaautotint.com/window-tints.html
    Was thinking doing 35% on rear door and 20% on the boot windows. What do you think????
    He is charging £175

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Also got some winter matts in this weekend. Edged in tan, much better for the weather we are having in Scotland.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BigGreg For This Useful Post:

kmb (Monday 11th January 2016)

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Mine is a medium smoke.

I wouldn't advise on a graduated...IMH, it will look shi te. Leave the, glass forward of the 'B' pillar stock.

On cloudy days, you have to get really close up to see through the glass into the cabin. Blocks 95%UV.
    At night, it's not so dark that you can't see out.

One more thing. You'll need to lose the 'Thornwood' sticker from the back window.
    Last edited by LeeT5; Tuesday 12th January 2016 at 04:40.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

kmb (Tuesday 12th January 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Mine is a medium smoke.

I wouldn't advise on a graduated...IMH, it will look shi te. Leave the, glass forward of the 'B' pillar stock.

On cloudy days, you have to get really close up to see through the glass into the cabin. Blocks 95%UV.
    At night, it's not so dark that you can't see out.

One more thing. You'll need to lose the 'Thornwood' sticker from the back window.
    The sticker will be off, was going to let bloke deal with that as the fecker is welded on. I like your thinking on shade Lee.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreg View Post
    The sticker will be off, was going to let bloke deal with that as the fecker is welded on. I like your thinking on shade Lee.
    Yes, it's something that folks don't consider....how it will differ in bright sunlight and cloudy murky days.
    Having had Limo black tints on my Laser Blue, I found it was too dark at night and was difficult seeing out sometimes in poor weather conditions. So when I got my P2, I was able to make a better informed decision on the "grade" of tint.
    My P1 was also tinted forward of the B pillar, a medium smoke tint, but it attracted the attention of the boys in blue and made the car look.....too long!
    Having the tint after the B pillar will break up the length a little and also look closer to stock.
    Mine is a high grade tint from the USA, allows a 35% light transmission and blocks 95% U.V. You really notice the difference in the summer hot weather. The car won't struggle to reduce the cabin temperature and the Climate control won't have to work so hard, therefore, saving fuel and the fans quickly slow to a less noisy speed.
    I also, don't have a gap between the top of the tint and the top of the glass...something that rogue traders are not able to replicate easily.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Never had a problem with limo black that iv had on any vehicle including commercials.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeT5 View Post
    Yes, it's something that folks don't consider....how it will differ in bright sunlight and cloudy murky days.
    Having had Limo black tints on my Laser Blue, I found it was too dark at night and was difficult seeing out sometimes in poor weather conditions. So when I got my P2, I was able to make a better informed decision on the "grade" of tint.
    My P1 was also tinted forward of the B pillar, a medium smoke tint, but it attracted the attention of the boys in blue and made the car look.....too long!
    Having the tint after the B pillar will break up the length a little and also look closer to stock.
    Mine is a high grade tint from the USA, allows a 35% light transmission and blocks 95% U.V. You really notice the difference in the summer hot weather. The car won't struggle to reduce the cabin temperature and the Climate control won't have to work so hard, therefore, saving fuel and the fans quickly slow to a less noisy speed.
    I also, don't have a gap between the top of the tint and the top of the glass...something that rogue traders are not able to replicate easily.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmie View Post
    Never had a problem with limo black that iv had on any vehicle including commercials.
    I defected to Ford for a while and had a Mondeo Estate (Don't scoff) with the trusty five cylinder petrol turbo it was a great car, but looked ££££. Anyway, it had after market rear tints, Limo black. At night reversing was a joke, you could see nothing out of the back. Then some scroat tried to break in by levering off the rear window (A bit dim round here) as it sits proud and seems to float on the window rubbers. End result window is cracked to hell and he legs it when alarm goes off. But when ordering the glass from Auto glass, "Is is a factory black tint" he asks on the phone "Yes" says I. New window fitted, jet black, but could see out of it no problem at night. The difference was amazing. Not sure why I launched in to that other than to say, I won't go limo black, and will leave the front windows alone.
    Fitting Disks and pads now with my mate, just popped in for a cuppa. So far so good.

"The Instigator"
    This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Medium smoke definately, dark cars dont suit mega dark tints I dont think just makes them look like a panel van.

On another note, lovely car by the way!
    Arguing is pointless....she may not be right but she's never wrong

Tell her a remap is just having your satnav updated.....

11. The Following User Says Thank You to The Flying Moose For This Useful Post:

BigGreg (Sunday 24th January 2016)

New here...old and oily
    elsewhere
    Thanks
    Nice "R". One of Hugh K's finest I see.

Looking forward to seeing how the tints look as I'm going to have mine done soon.
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=10521&dateline=138532  2015

13. The Following User Says Thank You to V70-R-T5 For This Useful Post:

BigGreg (Sunday 24th January 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Happy how tints turned out. Look limo black in these pics but far from it, you can see through it when up close, think it's perfect.

Last edited by BigGreg; Saturday 16th January 2016 at 22:53.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BigGreg For This Useful Post:

The Flying Moose (Monday 18th January 2016)

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGreg View Post
    Happy how tints turned out. Look limo black in these pics but far from it, you can see through it when up close, think it's perfect.
    Looks nice ,BUT your parking is score A+ for a volvo driver...

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Harvey For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Sunday 17th January 2016)

This user has no status
    Thanks
    I knew the parking would be mentioned. Whole carpark to myself, coupled to the worst steering lock of any car ever produced, sprinkle in a lazy lad like me and you get this style of parking.

Thread Information