Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

2004 V70 R Propshaft Bearings

All,

Sometimes, a weird metal on metal sound coming from the rear during acceleration. No DCTs in VIDA, no any other AWD related errors. Rear wheel bearings replaced, so I'm suspecting the propshaft bearing is on its way out.
    As far as I know Volvo supplies only the entire propshaft which is way too expensive.
    My car is a daily driver.

• Will it do any further damage if I leave it on the car - besides the terrible noise?
    • Can be the propshaft removed temporarily and drive it only in 2wd till I find a solution?
    • What would be the best option to get this sorted?
    • Does someone have info about what bearings I would need?

Thanks in advance!

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

Keeping it looking stock
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,581 Times in 1,296 Posts
    Angle gear ?.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Can't you use an xc70 prop? 2nd hand maybe

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Have you serviced the rear end, diff and AOC and angle gear.

£60 for oil and all bits, AOC is a bitch to service, serviced all 4 gearboxes on both my xc90 and p2r

This user has no status

Thanks
    All,
    Thanks for all the advice!

The metal on metal sound only comes at certain rev - around 2000-2100, as soon as I floor the pedal the noise gone. and only once the car is at operational temperature. It never does this once its cold.
    All fluids and filters replaced in the drive-line, inc AOC 3 mnths ago. Used the fluids and filters from Volvo, except for the Auto trans where we used Valvoline Trans fluid.(based on a recommendation from the SS forum)

Yesterday, I Went into a local shop and they identified, it is the propshaft. As they said, front and back bearings are in pretty bad shape. The tech was able to move the propshaft back and forth by hand.

They gave me a contact to a reputable driveshaft shop in Dublin. Those guys a specialized to refurb driveshafts and propshafts. Quote was 250 EUR.

Also spoke to my friend at the local Volvo Dealership, only the front bearing is available from Volvo for around 300 EUR, if the back goes then only the complete shaft for 1xxx EUROs. He said, they had few front bearing service done on various 4wd Volvo's in the past year.
    Based on his advice, the propshaft needs to be taken out as soon as possible. I'll be able to drive the car in 2wd mode without doing any damage. Obviously it will be out temporary only.
    The flanges can be covered with some temp plastic/metal/rubber piece to avoid water/dirt going inside, but not 100% necessary as it is a closed system.

SOLD - 2004 Volvo V70R GT/Titanium Gray/Gobi - 103000 Miles, Bilstein B6 Front, Resonator delete, do88 Intake, do88 Lower Intercooler pipe, Forge CBV with green spring, Grey Pierburg TCV, Viva Strut Bar Conversion Kit, 17'Pegasus, 235/45/17 Goodyear Eagle F1 AS3

This user has no status

Thanks
    Just want to give an update on this.
    At the 11th of Jan, just to be sure I've asked another mechanic about the propshaft. Lifted the car and and completed the 4 wheels drive test, by hand and with the engine running and in gear too. All 4 wheels were moving without any issue.
    10 mins later told me that the shaft is fine. There is only a little (hairline) play, but nothing to worry about. The front and back movement is normal.
    He pointed to a mark around the center of the shaft where the resonator was touching it sometimes. Then he pulled down the exhaust bracket at the back (two arms welded onto the exhaust) and adjusted it. Noise gone since.

Additionally he suggested, however propshafts are usually rock solid and would require a brutal force to kill/damage them, to stay on the safe side, it needs to checked at some stage by taking it off, inspect the bearings and especially the balance.

As an additional mod (JRL), I've asked a shop to remove the resonator, which has been completed last week. 70 EUR inc labor, the stainless steel pipe and clamps.
    Exhaust sounds great! Nice, deep tone from the factory pipe and no, not a boy-racer/drone sound. Only noticeable, once the throttle opens up.
    Exactly like on this video:

Last edited by htomi; Monday 18th January 2016 at 17:19.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to htomi For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Thursday 4th February 2016)

Appreciative
    Thanks
    Great news... did you go back and tell these guys:

Yesterday, I Went into a local shop and they identified, it is the propshaft. As they said, front and back bearings are in pretty bad shape. The tech was able to move the propshaft back and forth by hand.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kmb For This Useful Post:

jamesy12345 (Thursday 4th February 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Yep, I told them 'gently'

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Remove the prop, strip the bearings (easy) clean, and repack with high temperature grease. Pack them out really well.
    I did my P1R and all the noise stopped and all the clicking and play was gone too! (link below on how to)

An easy repair.
    New Prop from dealer is about £700.
    Front bearing only is sold as a kit and around £250.
    No rear bearing kit available.

Linky: http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/showthre...opshaft+repair
    Last edited by LeeT5; Thursday 4th February 2016 at 03:52.
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

htomi (Thursday 11th February 2016),jamesy12345 (Thursday 4th February 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Lee! I found that thread a month ago and saved under my favorites.
    We're planning to disassemble the drive line during this weekend.
    3 wks ago while we've been renewing the front suspension parts. ( lower control arms, ball joints, tie rods - inner-outer, front anti-sway bar) identified, the so called 'Angle gear weeping'. No fluid drops under the car. No AWD issues or DTCs were ever stored, just a light fluid residue on the outer wall of the AG.
    Purchased the parts required to re-seal the AG.
    My mechanic going to complete this and same time remove the propshaft to check all 3 bearings + rear diff and AOC, to ensure these are all fine.
    Last edited by htomi; Thursday 11th February 2016 at 13:27.

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    The weeping residue....does it smell like gearbox oil? If it doesn't, then it's probably the turbo return oil seal that leaking, underneath the turbo. Sometimes the oil runs down the back of the transfer case and is often misdiagnosed as a leaking AG.
    Other than that, I would clean away the residue using carb cleaner and dry thoroughly and drive the car for 100 miles or so. Then re inspect for signs of an oil leak.
    Dismantling the AG is not an easy job!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

15. The Following User Says Thank You to LeeT5 For This Useful Post:

htomi (Friday 12th February 2016)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks Lee!

Pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/4xi7gy2ew...UpoU_N3Fa?dl=0

Seems the drive shaft Seal rather the AG. I have all the parts in case it turns out the fluid comes from the AG.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Update: Drive shaft seal part number 9143885 (28x38x7) was shot, replaced the seal and completed the AG fluid change again. Same time drained + refill the auto gearbox oil too. At the end we did not remove the AG at all as it was clear that the issue was related to the seal itself. Unfortunately haven't had time to do anything with the propshaft.
    AOC fluid has been drained/sucked and refilled with fresh one.
    Last edited by htomi; Saturday 13th February 2016 at 18:22.

Thread Information