Join Today
    2001 S60 T5
    Thanks

My New (to me) S60 T5

Well firstly I'm a bit of a new boy here! Been lurking about for a while but not had much to post about until now...A few weeks ago I became the proud owner of a 2001 S60 T5 manual...in Gold
    Found her looking sorry for herself on Ebay with a few faults:

ABS/Stability control warning lights on - Hopefully just a sensor or worst case scenario I'm guessing an ABS pump?
    Various dents and dings dotted around it - I own a body and repair shop so shouldn't be too much of an issue
    It's Gold, definitely not my first colour choice - See above regarding body shop
    OSR Brake caliper sticking - New caliper fitted along with new discs and pads on the rear
    Odometer LCD screen not illuminating - Hopefully just a bulb?
    NS Wing mirror has a mind of it's own, every time I get in the car it seems to be in a different position - Not got a clue, any suggestions?
    Throttle can be jerky and imprecise - Usual electronic throttle gremlins I'm guessing? I have removed and cleaned it, this seemed to help a lot but the issue is still there, particulary in 1st and 2nd gear it seems
    Previous owner has fitted a solid upper engine mount bush - I hate it! Feel every vibration at idle so that will be getting swapped at some point for a standard Volvo unit at some point

Now I know that seems like a pretty long list but I do like a challenge! It has a fairly long MOT on her and I paid just £400 so for that price I'm happy to get my hands dirty and have a daily driver project on the go so to speak. I did a 4 hour trip back from buying it and since then done over a 1000 trouble free miles without so much as a murmur. Next weekend she will be getting a full service and generaly just readied for the cold weather that I'm guessing we'll get in the next few months. Few pics below, not the best but were just quickies earlier. Any tips, opinions, questions etc...please fire away

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Ive got quite a few bits for one of them knocking about in the garage from an 02 S60 T5 I broke a while back. I'll pm you a list when I get a chance, all cheap a chips as they're just taking up space.

Nice cars, but bloody ugly in gold! Get your spray booth warmed up - I think those cars look good in a dark metallic colour, blue/black even a deep burgundy I saw once looked alright - anything but gold

Welcome along & keep us updated with progress.

Cheers, Morgan

2001 S60 T5
    Thanks
    Thanks Shinsplintz! A list of bit you got for sale would be great Don't worry, she won't be staying Gold for too long. I got A dark metallic Grey in my head for some reason or even like you said, a metallic Black

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Liking the look of this project.
    I reckon Audi TT nimbus grey!!
    Will keep an eye on this thread.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

2001 S60 T5
    Thanks
    Just Googled 'Audi Nimbus Grey' and that is a very tasty colour
    That will definitely be going into the possible paint list!

PS - Have also just come across another Grey from Audi, called Nardo. I think a slightly controversial choice that would divide a few people but I'm liking that a lot!
    Last edited by DaveyUK; Sunday 27th December 2015 at 18:12.

Meh.....
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,434 Times in 1,118 Posts
    It's your car you do what you want mate but it's a colour close to my heart. Back in my boy racer days I had my nova Sri painted in that colour. So subtle but a hell of a shine & it stands out just right.
    I've since grown out of owning nova's but that colour will always be a top grey.
    missing being Swedish

Previously:
    03 S40 Sport Lux 1.9d SOLD
    1998 MTE Stage 2 V70 T5 Manual SOLD
    1998 V70R AWD Manual BROKEN

Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinsplintz 101 View Post
    Ive got quite a few bits for one of them knocking about in the garage from an 02 S60 T5 I broke a while back. I'll pm you a list when I get a chance, all cheap a chips as they're just taking up space.

Nice cars, but bloody ugly in gold! Get your spray booth warmed up - I think those cars look good in a dark metallic colour, blue/black even a deep burgundy I saw once looked alright - anything but gold

Welcome along & keep us updated with progress.

Cheers, Morgan
    cedar green pearl is a nice volvo colour

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ExternalError For This Useful Post:

claymore (Monday 28th December 2015)

Whiny Old Git
    Aching bones :(
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,999 Times in 3,015 Posts
    Black and yellow would be good
    PIC][/SIGPIC]
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaa

Facebook^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Old T-5 Kompressor Thread^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ New TT-10 Kompressor Thread

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by claymore View Post
    Black and yellow would be good
    Surprised you didn't say "Blinding dayglow yellow."

S60s are lovely cars and the 2.4 T5 is one of the better choices for wringing more power from it's bores

Wood wheel is pretty rare and a nice touch, S60s always look nice when hit lightly with the lowering stick and sat on Nebulas.
    Last edited by Doingitsideways; Monday 28th December 2015 at 11:08.

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Nowt wrong with (gay) gold, looks alright that

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Lcd screen being dead is either a sign that a previous owner is trying to hide a fault (probably abs or srs) or the speedo is on its way out.

Keep us posted with your progress tho, it's nice to see an old p2 getting some love.

2001 S60 T5
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the posts and comments, guys. Another quick question for the more experienced of you...my temperature gauge needle seems to sit a bit on the piss! It's just ever so slightly past the very center of the dial (see pic) is this norm for the S60's or should I be worried? It doesn't overheat, gets up to temperature quickly and doesn't fluctuate in the slightest. My OCD wants that needle to sit bang in the middle but I'll happily live with it if that's the norm.

PS - Take note of black LCD screen under the speedo, hopefully get chance to take the clusters out at the weekend and see what's going wrong there

Unbannable
    This user has no status

Thanks
    thats about right in terms of the temp mine sits just a sliver over the half way

stupid question but have to ask have you twisted the trip computer screen selector dial on the stalk as one of the settings is a blank screen other than that its either a bulb gone or the screens gone

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ExternalError For This Useful Post:

DaveyUK (Wednesday 30th December 2015)

2001 S60 T5
    Thanks
    Thanks for the reply, feel better it's not just mine that sits ever so slightly past middle! Oh yes, took two days but I figured that trip computer screen out I just have it turned off in that particular pic. It's the little screen under the speedo that tells you the cars mileage. If you squint, can just about see that it's reading 155k so I guess that actual little LCD is working, hopefully just a bulb out behind it.

Thread Information