Join Today
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turbo tool shed

This user has no status

Thanks

Turbo tool shed

First off hi from a new member, looking forward to learning a lot from the community!

So where to start with this one..

I've always wanted a fast estate as I find the whole concept totally perverse and never really found an excuse to have one until now.

I have a bunch of other cars including a Alfa Giulietta as a daily, but my favourite is probably my Clio cup race car - it is the definition of grip, corners like a house fly...

Anyway, I digress: I've been looking for a estate to pull my Brian James and to do tip / building merchant runs due to an ongoing house project, it will also be used every year for the run to LM with my mates. I looked at TDI vags and a few other marques but having had a V40 1.9 D a few years ago I really wanted another Volvo. Cut a long story short my friend linked me to an ad for the 850 which in all honesty I hadn't considered as an option due to age. Anyway, the price was sub £350 so well within budget, it had FSH, towbar and once I took it for a drive I knew it was a car I needed in my life - I was shocked at the performance, the 5cyl sound and the old school addictive turbo lag

Exterior wise is a little rough, but mechanically it felt sweet so I shook the chaps hand and away we went.

So, engine is healthy having tested it, going to repair all the broken bits, service everything then start some upgrades which are probably the common done thing around here so not particularly exciting. I've been looking for a new project recently anyway now the clio is reliable so this is a perfect excuse to get the tools out again.

It already has a absaloute (sp?) map but I don't really like the delivery (although there may be an underlying TCS issue there). I need a decat down pipe and cat back, a bigger turbo and some other supporting bits and pieces before having a live engine calibration. Have picked up some titans from @Ettienne on here (who mentioned the forum - hence I am here) which have then been refurbed, going to chuck on some eibachs and fresh dampers. Looking for an R front bumper (imaginative...) and then I'd love to get the car repainted in Radical blue.

Any recommendations on where to locate a reasonably priced straight flange downpipe, a 18T turbo (seems to be the best bang for buck based on research) and a R front bumper would be gratefully received!

Here it is in its slightly ghetto boxy glory.

Cheers!
    Last edited by pingpong; Thursday 22nd October 2015 at 23:02.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pingpong For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Friday 23rd October 2015),martybelfastt5 (Saturday 24th October 2015),MoleT-5R (Friday 30th October 2015),Nealevo (Friday 30th October 2015),The Flying Moose (Saturday 24th October 2015)

Beer Baron
    Nice to have some power again.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,466 Times in 1,996 Posts
    If its just a normal t5 then a 16t would be a decent upgrade, though that would depend on how much power you want as the 18t will flow better higher up the revs.

Just be careful how much boost you run low down because the con rods are a weak point.

Oh yes, welcome to the site
    Last edited by LiamT4; Thursday 22nd October 2015 at 23:19.
    "The problem with internet quotes, is that you don't know if they're real or not" - Abraham Lincoln

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Good intro.

Welcome aboard.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Welcome

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,955 Times in 1,332 Posts
    It's a diesel, Liam!

Welcome aboard

I've got an 850TDi among my fleet, excellent work bus.
    Sounds like you got a bargain too.

The engine is a VAG AEL lump, basically a 1.9 TDi with an extra cylinder.
    They respond really well to a bit of fiddling, sound good too when pushed!
    The person to speak to on here is Martin Smith, his TDi is pretty naughty.

Afaik, a 16t works really well, an 18t prob wouldn't work really due to the lower exhaust gas temp from the oil burner.
    First weak point is usually the rod bolts, then a wobbly flywheel and DMF from the torque, after that you'll lift the head with too much boost.

Looking forward to a bit of TDi action

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts

a 19t just isn't laggy enough
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,021 Times in 4,072 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    It's a diesel, Liam!

Welcome aboard

I've got an 850TDi among my fleet, excellent work bus.
    Sounds like you got a bargain too.

The engine is a VAG AEL lump, basically a 1.9 TDi with an extra cylinder.
    They respond really well to a bit of fiddling, sound good too when pushed!
    The person to speak to on here is Martin Smith, his TDi is pretty naughty.

Afaik, a 16t works really well, an 18t prob wouldn't work really due to the lower exhaust gas temp from the oil burner.
    First weak point is usually the rod bolts, then a wobbly flywheel and DMF from the torque, after that you'll lift the head with too much boost.

Looking forward to a bit of TDi action
    his new car is a T-5

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi all, thanks for the welcome! Sorry to disappoint but It is in fact a T5 I have a powerful diesel in the form of the alfa so I'm a big fan of TDI power normally.

A member contacted me with a R bumper for sale so that's made my day, the whole boot is now full of spares so I need to have a big day and get it all fitted.
    Last edited by pingpong; Friday 23rd October 2015 at 17:04.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to pingpong For This Useful Post:

martin_r_smith (Friday 23rd October 2015)

NOS
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,853 Times in 1,341 Posts
    Hi and welcome nice ride

"WOODY T5 fastest volvo 850 since 2011/12/13/14 @ avon and york 13.3 112mph
    854 t5 19t gripper mte bc loads more 311.6 whp 373 foot pound 342 @ clucth
    toy cbr954

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by p fandango View Post
    his new car is a T-5
    Quote Originally Posted by pingpong View Post
    Hi all, thanks for the welcome! Sorry to disappoint but It is in fact a T5 I have a powerful diesel in the form of the alfa so I'm a big fan of TDI power normally.

A member contacted me with a R bumper for sale so that's made my day, the whole boot is now full of spares so I need to have a big day and get it all fitted.
    My bad!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Saturday 24th October 2015)

Now in an Audi...to allow more
    time for my 850s lol
    Thanks
    Welcome along fella

This user has no status

Thanks
    19T maybe slightly more available than 18T
    http://www.vpcuk.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2552&dateline=1218822  313
    She may not be perfect but i love her anyway....

This user has no status
    Thanks
    welcome to vpcuk looking forward to seeing this update!
    1995 854 t5r

Still more fettling needed,
    will it never end?
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,587 Times in 3,404 Posts
    Welcome to the forum.

855r 6sp lives
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 790 Posts
    Hi Tom you got here then lol, I've still to dig the R bumper out of the loft, but it is on the list!

Looks better with the titans.

This user has no status

Thanks
    Managed to make some progress with the shed over the last few days.

First job was to swap out the discoloured and cracked headlight. None of the washers or wipers for the headlights work either and were in pretty bad condition so I've pulled the whole lot out for the time being, kind of in two minds however as its a classic volvo feature so may reinstate in the future.

Took a long day on the car and managed to get the front shocks, wishbones, eibachs and track rod ends fitted to hopefully improve the super lose steering. All standard bits, aside from the springs, not interested in poly'ing or stiffening things really - it's not worth it frankly; nice compliant ride with plenty of shove it what I am after

Most frustrating thing is that in a past life I had a fully equipped workshop with a ramp, working on the floor makes everything just that little bit harder - hey ho!

Also did the cam & aux belt, water pump and thermostat (to solve the dipping temp on the road) as well as fluids and a few other bits and piece.

Engine generally speaking is nice and dry, no leaks either side, although underneath someone has bodged some silicon on what I think is the Turbo oil return pipe, not sure if it requires any attention however.

Belts are a pleasure compared to the F4R renault engine, its a 4hr job even for the experienced, only thing that had me scratching my head was that the new aux belt was about 6" longer than the original but after some quick research online it appears they changed the belt routing which explained the extra length.

Happy with the progress so far, more updates to follow - it has a lot of work ahead of it this week moving some other cars around so I'm pleased i've managed to get the long overdue service bits done.

Cheers
    Last edited by pingpong; Wednesday 28th October 2015 at 23:56.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pingpong For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Friday 30th October 2015),jamesy12345 (Wednesday 28th October 2015),The Flying Moose (Thursday 29th October 2015),WOODY T5 (Thursday 29th October 2015)

A very bad whale

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 870 Posts
    Welcome aboard mate, jeez you don't hang about do you? I feel thoroughly ashamed of myself when I see how much progress you have made in a short period of time it takes me forever to get anything done with my car.

Good update too we like pictures, most of us can't read!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Orca2 For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Friday 30th October 2015)

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    You did all that in a day?!

You ever been up for mechanic of the year?!

Christ, me and Jamesy were made up when we did his Eibachs and Billies in a day, between us, with a two post lift!!

Also, I was proud of myself to have done both timing belts, tensioners and all filters on my 850TDi in 4 1/2 hours.

*Scurries off feeling rubbish about myself *

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doingitsideways For This Useful Post:

craigoodwood (Friday 30th October 2015),jamesy12345 (Thursday 29th October 2015)

This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    You did all that in a day?!

You ever been up for mechanic of the year?!

Christ, me and Jamesy were made up when we did his Eibachs and Billies in a day, between us, with a two post lift!!

Also, I was proud of myself to have done both timing belts, tensioners and all filters on my 850TDi in 4 1/2 hours.

*Scurries off feeling rubbish about myself *
    Haha - I did say long day... I'm not mechanic and never have been (strictly speaking) but it's been great to dust the tools off again.

I bled the coolant system in the dark if that makes you feel better! Plus I was on my own so no one to distract and I managed to lock myself out of the house so no extended tea breaks either.

Honestly the belts are a joy, no locking tools required, great access, built in timing marks - not sure why the other small number of engines I've changed belts on don't use the same design philosophy, hats off to volvo! Took just over an hour I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by Orca2 View Post
    Welcome aboard mate, jeez you don't hang about do you? I feel thoroughly ashamed of myself when I see how much progress you have made in a short period of time it takes me forever to get anything done with my car.

Good update too we like pictures, most of us can't read!
    Thanks for your comment, hopefully there will be some more updates shortly, I do have a boost hesitation issue that I need advice on diagnosing but I'll get some videos up for that.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to pingpong For This Useful Post:

Orca2 (Thursday 29th October 2015)

All the ladies love it
    sideways!
    Thanks
    Only pulling your leg, Fella.
    Well done, that's a fair old whack of work for a day!
    I'm by no means a mechanic either, just someone with constantly sore knuckles, any experience I have is from previous f*#k ups, but I have an excellent knowledge of swear words

TBF, when I was on with Jamesy's springs, he spent more time lubing his nuts than anything else!

Oh, can't remember if I said welcome
    Last edited by Doingitsideways; Thursday 29th October 2015 at 00:37.

Thread Information