Join Today
    This user has no status

Thanks

2000 V40-T4 Won't / No Start after Head Gasket Replacement (sounds like no comp.)

Hi,

2000 V40-T4 Won't / No Start after Head Gasket Replacement,

Starter motor is engaged, fuel is delivered, coils all measure approx 0.70 ohms, there is spark (at least to cylinders no's# 1 & 2 - have not checked no's# 3 & 4 i.e the coils for actual spark at cylinders 3 & 4).

My compression gauge which I've never used before showed no signs of compression but when tested on an air compressor gradually ramped up to 6 bar without a problem - (indicating at least to me that the gauge is O.K)

Upon start-up, when cranking ... it sounds like there's little or almost no compression ... just an electric sound (of the electric drive components such as the starter motor driving the belts).

Timing belt when put on by mechanic was supervised by 2 more mechanically minded individuals - and checked and re-checked against old markings and seems all good.

The Head was shaved, but NOT re-conditioned OR crack-tested ... even so ... it will not totally crumble, it will still start but run rough if valves weren't seated right or head was cracked...

When cranking... it makes a (Start -ON (belt-drive electric sound) ... ... ... "P" (belt-drive electric sound)... ... .. "P" (belt-drive electric sound)... ... .. "P" (belt-drive electric sound)... ... ... etc.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated...

228k and still not broke it!

Thanks
    Thanked 7,752 Times in 5,648 Posts
    Sounds like the cam timing is out.

This user has no status
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Is it vvt pully type .did u lock the vvt pully when doing timing .also check cam sensor too and timing .

This user has no status

Thanks
    Do crank/cams turn by hand?
    Last edited by pierremcalpine; Yesterday at 01:41 AM.
    Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message
    #3 Report Post
    Unread Today, 12:12 AM
    tonymite

yes they did - and still do...

even after we just re-adjusted the timing belt where all the marks on the belt coincide with the marks on the gears and the guide marks on the plastic camshaft covers...

I'm guessing with so little margin for clearances we may have bent the valves if the camshaft was moved or turned or not installed back in sync with the camshaft - although I remember when we put the head back on, the outer (Number#'s 1 & 4 ) were at TOP position while the middle two (#'s 2 & 3) were at down position.

This user has no status

Thanks
    no it is NOT a VVT type ...

This user has no status

Thanks
    If you just change the belt then fine line up the marks again BUT `cos you have removed the cams and head you always have to use the cam locking tool at the rear of the cams and also line up the crankshaft with the tool that goes into the hole behind the starter motor, there is usually a black rubber plug in the hole, this is because NON of the pistons are at TDC when aligning the marks !

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
    Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg

Thread Information