Join Today
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    This user has no status

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Doingitsideways View Post
    They look freaking huge on the P1800!

Easy to forget though, they're not a big car.
    Yeah - when I put them on the v70.... they looked tiny!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Hi mate personal option below,I might be inserted in the 20G....You need to data log, the injection time in VIDA is not right for calibrtion

Quote Originally Posted by Nickallen1984 View Post
    Just had a major problem.... misfire on cylinder 4 lead to some inspection this evening with injector inspection and compression test. The spark plug was totally jammed in there, and on a (not hugely forceful) yank, the spark sheered leaving it stuck in there. The good news is that I have great compression on the other cylinders...

being a 2.3 from 2002, it's probably not worth me really going to town on it, and I'm in the process of building another engine out of the car with the aim to put it in in the future when I could A) save enough money to buy all the bits I want, and B) have a nice weekend to install the whole unit. Please bear in mind that this has been a sloooow build as I'm saving as I go along, however I do have enough now to put something in there and would love your advice on what you'd do in my position.

I'll start with what I have in there now:

Engine:

Busted 2.3
    Snabb Ultimate intercooler
    IPD turbo inlet hose
    Firetta 3" downpipe
    Milltek 2.5" cat back
    Standard 16t turbo
    MAC TCV (also have an OEM one which I'm going to put back in)
    GO OEM
    Other:
    BC coilovers all round
    v70R brakes all round
    michelins all round
    Tastelessly large wheels
    Various poly bushes

Also, a stage 3 MTE map from Don, but this is in the process of being sorted and is not in there yet.

Here is what I have out of the car that is avalable to me right now:

2.4 T5 engine with ported head and stock internals (bought from Shemtek)
    Hahn TD05 Super 20G turbo
    650cc injectors
    VXR injectors
    R manifold
    Spare inlet manifold
    Spare front subframe
    Lots of mounts wishbones etc
    A few other bits and bobs

Access to a 2 post lift.

The car does drive, but not very nicely (obviously), but I can get it to a place to work on it.

What the plan was was to get the Cavalli turbo, some better rods, SMF and clutch from Don and stand alone management, but obviously this is not realistically affordable at the moment so plans may have to change.....

My questions are:

Options are:

Put the 2.4 engine in with all the exitiing mods left as they are:

If so,

a) will the standard map or the MTE map work with a 0.1 litre additional displacement in the engine? Yes but it's an easy change to get it right or calcs will be off internally
    b) will there be any other issues that I would encounter?

Bolt everything together I have already.

If so,

a) does anyone know how easy it would be to make a custom downpipe for the 20G, or suggest anyone who has/can? GWE maybe? Think GWE is on NZ, look @ snabb?
    b) Will stock rods be ok with the 20G turbo (I'm aware that the 2.4 bottom end is far superior to the 2.3 - is it the same as the R?) Yes
    c) Is it best to map the existing ECU, or better to go for stand alone? If anyone can suggest a good person for the map that would be greatly appreciated! (I'm based in London, but have access to the 2 post lift in Brackley near Oxford - conveniently there is a rolling road opposite in BBR GTI). It spa a plug pobably going lean so custom map mate, 5 bar modded perhaps, VXR's are NOT big enough, we maxxed them at 1 bar on Stu's car

Drive my 1972 1800ES as a daily and keep saving...

If so,

a) I don't want to do that
    b) It'll make me lose interest
    c) Winter salt roads and classics don't mix.

Someone sell me some suitable bits to make the engine setup a bit better

If so,

a) anyone got anything they can offer!

Let me know your thoughts!

This user has no status

Thanks
    Thanks dream3r - what about a cavalli turbo on the stock rods? I've actually now got a 2007 2.4 t5 car now, to less hassle in terms of changing engine!

This user has no status

Thanks
    fine!

This user has no status

Thanks
    They seem stronger than I thought they'd be - from my understanding they're the same as the R rods/bottom end and can take a huge amount more than the older ones from the 2.3, but I'm still in fear of the low end torque from the 'no lag' that the cavalli claims to give. What sort of Torque/bhp can these safely handle (assuming you've got an decent tune, not one created by a performing monkey!) especially lower down?

I'm mainly asking as the engine is currently our of the car and it'd be a lot easier to change them now!

This user has no status

Thanks
    oh , there's plenty of lag but it "spools" hard and fast.

This user has no status

Thanks
    I love their claims of 'no lag' - good to hear its actually a turbo and not a supercharger :rofl:

trying hard to look busy!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy12345 View Post
    If it was my car I'd be looking for a custom map to suit the hardware. About the downpipe I know of someone who's done a few pipes for Renaults & his work is supposed to be pretty good, but is based in Doncaster so probably too far away
    Top gear performance or Custom Pipes?
    It's a 5 Cylinder Orchestra!
    R.I.P. Kyebosh (Alan) you're memory lives on!

Randomly Typed Username
    Iraq Lobster
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,343 Times in 2,497 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jdavis View Post
    Top gear performance or Custom Pipes?
    Email address I have says CGR Automotive mate, guys name is Charlie who I was speaking to. He did some downpipes for a Renault group of guys

...here we go again...
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,393 Times in 1,068 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickallen1984 View Post
    They seem stronger than I thought they'd be - from my understanding they're the same as the R rods/bottom end and can take a huge amount more than the older ones from the 2.3, but I'm still in fear of the low end torque from the 'no lag' that the cavalli claims to give. What sort of Torque/bhp can these safely handle (assuming you've got an decent tune, not one created by a performing monkey!) especially lower down?

I'm mainly asking as the engine is currently our of the car and it'd be a lot easier to change them now!
    Ring Volvo and check the part numbers!

From my understanding the R rods are forged and the 2.4 T5 bottom end is not the same. The rods in a 2.4 T5 are different.
    It's only the side walls of the bores that is thicker, making the engine slightly stronger. Please correct me if I'm wrong!
    2014 V60 Polestar 6spd Auto :: Polestar map peak boost 17.4psi :: IPD 3" DP + 150cel :: Polestar 2.5" exhaust :: Paddle Shift Geartronic :: Black glass :: Maxton Splitter :: K+N Filter :: IPD Aluminium Top engine mount :: Brembo 6 pots :: 20" Polestar rims :: Brembo 371mm floating discs :: Sensus RTi + DAB + BT + WIFi :: D3S XENARC 6000k Active bending headlights

This user has no status

Thanks
    Awesome guys - thanks for all your help!

Thread Information